Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter bushing installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Sideshift 914 transmission:

Which direction should the rear shifter bushing be installed into the support? Is it inserted from the front or rear? When I purchased my '71 914-6 conversion with a sideshift transmission, the bushing was installed from the front, meaning that the shoulder of the bushing is on the outside of the shift support housing. When first, third gear or fifth gear was selected, the shift rod head would contact the bushing and knock it out of the shift support housing.

Now when first, third or fifth gear is selected, the shift rod head firmly contacts the shoulder of the bushing. Should there be more clearance? The gears seem to engage fully. I have not had the car off the jackstands for a roadtest yet.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

Cap'n Krusty
Shouldn't even come close to hitting. Adjust the rod length at the shifter. The bushing is, indeed, installed from the outside. I use the nice bronze one from GPR. The Cap'n
McMark
Here's the factory diagram. agree.gif Installed from the outside.
JWest
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 2 2005, 01:29 PM)
Adjust the rod length at the shifter.

No. Adjusting the rod at the shifter only moves the shifter - the relationship between the tranmission and the shift rod as it goes through the bushing in the shift console on the trans can not be changed. Maybe you are missing the cup bushing inside the shift console which would require excess travel of the shift rod to engage the gears.
Eddie914
I installed a new cup bushing in the shift rod head ... fits great.

Could the shift rod adjusment (inside the transmission) be off?

When I get home tonight, I'll start it up while it's still on the jackstands and see how it shifts (after I finish the oil change and add oil ... about 14 quarts).

Eddie
JWest
QUOTE (Eddie914 @ Jun 2 2005, 04:46 PM)
I installed a new cup bushing in the shift rod head ... fits great.

Could the shift rod adjusment (inside the transmission) be off?

When I get home tonight, I'll start it up while it's still on the jackstands and see how it shifts (after I finish the oil change and add oil ... about 14 quarts).

Eddie

The roll pin on the shaft entering the trans could be shearing - otherwise everything can only go one way back there. Shift rod adjustment inside the trans being all translated one way, hmm, maybe...
cametal
6 conversion? Mabe the shift rod was modified and the set screw hole in the shaft might need to be relocated farther back.
I have a conversion and the PO had 2 set screw holes, if you use the wrong one you only get 1/2 the gears sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.