Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gages Mounted in Ashtray Opening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Right now my two gages are mounted under the dash.

It appears that the gage panel itself will easily fit into the ashtray opening.

However, I have a few questions.

1. Do you remove the ashtray "sliding bracket", and do you just use a few sheet metal screws to hold the panel in place since there is no access above the opening?

2. In measuring the depth of the gages, plus the additional room for the push-on connectors, it looks like to me there is no way it is going to fit without cutting out the dash (where the seatbelt light resides). Is this correct?

Any pics of installations would be great. rolleyes.gif
machina
I made a bracket out of aluminum for my dual EGT/CHT

bolts from behind which is a PIA to mount, hard to get your hand back there.
Joseph Mills
Thanks for the pic.

Did your mount require you to cut away the face of your dash under the ashtray opening?
Demick
I have gauges there. I did not have to cut away any of the dash for these, but other gauges might be deeper. The gauge holder is just a flat piece of textured ABS plastic cut to shape. It screws to an L-shaped bracket, which then fastens with the same 2 screws as were used to hold the ashtray bracket in place.

Demick
machina
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Jun 2 2005, 02:21 PM)
Did your mount require you to cut away the face of your dash under the ashtray opening?

If you mean the upper dash, then no. The lower dash pad never went back in and the dash facing is long gone.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Demick @ Jun 2 2005, 01:28 PM)
The gauge holder is just a flat piece of textured ABS plastic cut to shape.  It screws to an L-shaped bracket, which then fastens with the same 2 screws as were used to hold the ashtray bracket in place.

Demick

clap.gif Good idea Demick. I like the L-bracket to help with access.

I notice that also let's you mount the gage panel right out to the front of the opening. Maybe that will give me enough clearance to avoid cutting the dash.

Thanks guys.
beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.