Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 7mm Caliper bolt solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
n2j2ryan
After many suggestions and a visit to a machine shop, I decided with this solution. I tapped out one end from the 7mm hole to a an 8mm thread. The other end I just bored out to 8mm. It now takes an 8mm socket head bolt, without a nut, just like the later callipers. Total cost of all bolts $12, instead of the $16 per bolt plus delivery from the UK. Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks like a working solution to me.
Valy
smilie_pokal.gif
GeorgeRud
Makes you wonder why Ate chose such a strange bolt initially when producing these. Eric?
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 13 2018, 11:40 AM) *

Makes you wonder why Ate chose such a strange bolt initially when producing these. Eric?

I have some 7mm bolts on my '70's motorcycles. I don't think it was a strange size back in the day. Over time, things changed.
oldie914
I think Ate used the odd bolt size to keep somebody from rebuilding the calipers with the wrong (low strength) bolts. 7mm is a very strange bolt size and was probably only available from Ate. I am sure they would not sell them to everybody back then.
The calipers on my 1997 Mercedes are attached with bolts with 18mm heads. I think it has the same purpose.
gothspeed
This makes a lot of sense as the 7mm bolt holes are on the sloppy side. If you ream the holes to barely accommodate 8mm bolts, the assembly will be plenty strong. smile.gif
cwpeden
Hi, I'm in Victoria too. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

If you need any 914 help call or send me a text. I have one of the local parts hoards....including brake caliper bolts. sad.gif

two5zero 8eight6 9one44
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(oldie914 @ Feb 13 2018, 10:11 AM) *

The calipers on my 1997 Mercedes are attached with bolts with 18mm heads. I think it has the same purpose.

I think it's just that newer M-B cars have transitioned to JIS-spec hardware instead of DIN-spec.

--DD
austriafisch0
Hi,

can give me somebody the specification, I will arrange a run of 1000pcs first.gif java script:emoticon(':first:','smid_29')
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.