Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body stiffening using donor car longs and rear firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
IF the donor car is going to get cut up (this is the one without vin numbers where the front clip has some funky stuff going on) couldn't I harvest the inner longs and bottom of the rear firewall to weld into my 914/6 project?

Similar to the Maddog interior bracing kit but using the actual factory stampings? The 2.7 or 3.0l engine will handle the modest weight easily I think.

Mark, you did this on your Orange car if memory serves, right?
mepstein
Sounds like a lot of work.
Andyrew
Factory steel is extremely thin, like 18ga. The stiffening kits are 16 or 14ga.

I dont think you would see a noticeable difference if you were able to make that work. Not to mention the days of work to do such a thing.

Now the aftermarket stiffening kits, ala Engman and the like actually produce a noticeable result for a small investment in time and money.
burton73
Engman inner stiffing is the way to go. Have clean holes to weld on. Are you going to do you own welding? This has to be done very slowly to allow to cool or you will bend up your car. People have done it here and their doors will not close or they lose the door gap. Look it up on a search eng.

Bob B welder.gif
Tdskip
Well, turns out that may been such a good idea. Glad I asked.

Bob, I do my own structural welding and know to not warp the panels. That said, that is an excellent and very-very important reminder. Thank you.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2018, 08:18 AM) *

Sounds like a lot of work.

agree.gif But I think it could work, at least on the long. You'd have to strip all the inner wall out of the inner long, then cut it in the right places. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. The factory pieces are actually 19g, so even a little thinner than 18g., but still, welding that on top of a sound factory structure would add a hell of a lot of stiffness over stock. Can't speak to whether it would be race worthy.

I'm not sure about the firewall. I'm not sure the bead channels would nest to lay flat. Would have to try it and see.
mepstein
Maddogmotorsports.com
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2018, 10:30 AM) *

Maddogmotorsports.com

Yep, on order.
Front yard mechanic
In theory it would only be 100% stronger
914_teener
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 13 2018, 11:53 AM) *

And what theory is that?

Ultimate strength?

Tensile strength,
enf2232
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2018, 04:02 PM) *

And what theory is that?

Ultimate strength?

Tensile strength,

These are old cars. Lets not talk Ultimate Strength but stick to ASD!
914_teener
QUOTE(enf2232 @ Feb 13 2018, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 13 2018, 04:02 PM) *

And what theory is that?

Ultimate strength?

Tensile strength,

These are old cars. Lets not talk Ultimate Strength but stick to ASD!

Nice.....lol. Ok so we can agree then at 50 years old the inner long renforcement kit will 100 percent help to keep a 50 year old car from folding in half.

I.ve welded two of those kits in and the amount of care taken not to warp the chassis and time plug welding cannot be underestimated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.