Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Real '72 914-6 "916 Look" On BAT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Lucky9146
Worth a look if you haven't seen it. Listed yesterday includes original 2.0 and has a 3.2 EFI installed. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-6-2/

Click to view attachment
bretth
Interesting. Not liking the front end though. But A/C and "Loudspeaker in front" listed on the CoA is a new one to me.
Mike Fitton
So a '72 914-6 these were all Euro delivered cars correct?
GeorgeRud
It’ll be interesting to see what it actually sells for (or is bid up to). I’d easily believe the build costs with all the modifications that have been done. However, that doesn’t always translate to selling price. I wish him the best of luck!
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 13 2018, 11:37 AM) *

So a '72 914-6 these were all Euro delivered cars correct?

yes
GregAmy
"...Less than 200 miles have been added since the work was completed in 2014"

Odd.

And a steering column-mounted key switch? Edit: and additional holes cut in fender well for oil cooler...?

Looks like a clean build.
burton73
Lots of nice stuff on this car but I do not care for the front fenders.

Bob B
SirAndy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 13 2018, 09:33 AM) *
And a steering column-mounted key switch?

That is correct for a '72 /6 ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
This is what it looked like 10 years ago idea.gif

IPB Image
sithot
Who hacked the holes in the wheel well for oil lines? Not their finest hour.
iwanta914-6
As much as I dislike the front end, I would drive the piss out of this! What do you think, reserve somewhere north of $75K since it is a modified 72 six?
914Sixer
Won't pass inspection in most states with the lights in the front bumper.
JmuRiz
That's what antique tags are for biggrin.gif

It has a good shaped 916-like front bumper, not often you see that.

Weren't those front end conversions done in Germany back in the day? I swear I've seen one very similar on a 911 before, same side marker light etc.
JRust
I actually put in a bid on it. Knowing it would go for more than I could afford. So really a wasted bid but at least I got outbid within 12 hours so I could quite dreaming about it. IF I had ended up with it the slant nose would go away. I would take the front end back to stock. The headlights suck but what really screws with my eyes is the front hood. Not having the headlight buckets in the corners just looks wrong to me. So that would have most likely gone away as well. Having said that I would not have been in any hurry. That is a really well built car that will pull good money. Hell the motor alone is worth the 15k I bid. While I don't love the front end. That is my only criticism. Even that they did a great job on. Just not to my taste's. Well I don't love the interior either but doubt I would change it
rgalla9146
Easily the best looking 916 'update' to me
The nose looks a little Mangusta ish to me
Worst eyesore is the chrome wheels
I'd drive it proudly
Whoever took the detail pix should be shot
Upon further review I apologize for the unkind words about the photographer.
Viewer error.
EdwardBlume
I like it. So do you.... shades.gif
Dion
Looks like the front end is styled like the
Glockler 914’s.
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 13 2018, 06:12 PM) *

I like it. So do you.... shades.gif

Of course I want it. I would have chosen Phoenix Red, and no slant nose. But I'd get over that in about 15 minutes if it were mine.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2018, 10:16 AM) *

IPB Image

I recall seeing a 914 that looked very much like this in Louisville, KY around 1987. I don't think that it had the slant, but it definitely had the white monochrome look and the flares. It was the car that made me fall in love with 914s.

I would LOVE to know if this is that car.
carr914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 13 2018, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2018, 10:16 AM) *

IPB Image

I recall seeing a 914 that looked very much like this in Louisville, KY around 1987. I don't think that it had the slant, but it definitely had the white monochrome look and the flares. It was the car that made me fall in love with 914s.

I would LOVE to know if this is that car.

No the car was in Maryland

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That is a lot of car and a great car. Not a fan of the 916 bumpers, etc., but that is easily remedied. I would definitely buy that car assuming it all checks out in person.
barefoot
QUOTE(bretth @ Feb 13 2018, 11:26 AM) *

Interesting. Not liking the front end though. But A/C and "Loudspeaker in front" listed on the CoA is a new one to me.

Don't see any controls for A/C or ventilation. Obviously no heat either.
GeorgeRud
Unless the compressor and underdash AC vents were added after the pics were taken,
I don’t see any signs of AC and obviously there is no heat if running headers. I always worry when dealers list cars without much knowledge about the cars.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I remember that car from years ago, the guy really thought he had something and was valuing it on par with the 916s!!!! Of course a 72 914-6 is a very rare animal in itself with only 260 made and never exported
hwyix
Nice car. I wonder how much to get the regular 914 on the front? I know it must be a lot cheaper to make then flush than go back to original.
mepstein
Fugly
sithot
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2018, 01:37 PM) *

Won't pass inspection in most states with the lights in the front bumper.

Antique vehicles, which this certainly qualifies for, don't have to be inspected in VA.
Still need to be roadworthy.

I think the front end looks like hell but to each his own.
SON914/6
The picture of the vin number is an old one with white paint. Also the picture of the inner front wing in bare metal looks to have a weld line running vertically up it...???
sithot
As for the front oil cooler you'll never see one done this well every day. pray.gif
Armando Serrano's 914/6 GT.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/the9146gt_fron...install_phase_1
mepstein
QUOTE(SON914/6 @ Feb 14 2018, 07:06 PM) *

The picture of the vin number is an old one with white paint. Also the picture of the inner front wing in bare metal looks to have a weld line running vertically up it...???

A lot of times, 916 bumpers are used when a car gets hit. That was also a common reason for chalon and other types of body kits. The “slope nose” could have been done due to a hit. Who knows what’s been grafted on that car. We’ve repaired lots of cars that were “professionally done”. Look at Cairo’s car. It’s getting a restoration to fix the “restoration”.
carr914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 14 2018, 12:40 PM) *

I remember that car from years ago, the guy really thought he had something and was valuing it on par with the 916s!!!! Of course a 72 914-6 is a very rare animal in itself with only 260 made and never exported

You are correct, Chuck Goldsborough thought it was more than it was and it did sell for close to $40k 12 years ago with fuched up paint and the ugliest interior on the planet

it's behind my 911

Click to view attachment
Cracker
I am not a fan of the 916's but I actually like the car...the interior leaves more to be desired than the exterior (to me of course). The drive-train is impressive...

Tony

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 07:01 PM) *

Fugly

HaraPuzo
looks like a fun drive.
but whoever cut the two oil line holes was very artistic!
don't get how that happened smile.gif
larryM
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 13 2018, 11:11 AM) *

Weren't those front end conversions done in Germany back in the day?

Glockler - 9140431258 Greg Fullmer's car - sold for very big money

Click to view attachment

p.s. - my car has an original 916 front bumper - factory sourced - so - some of ya don't like 'em - c'est la vie

Click to view attachment

and, yes, those are the factory rallye GT Cibie-Pallas driving lights - also installed oem at time of Germany build

and this is a factory installed GT front oil cooler - note the crafted flange into which it mounts - that's factory workmanship on display

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 15 2018, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 13 2018, 11:11 AM) *

Weren't those front end conversions done in Germany back in the day?

Glockler - 9140431258 Greg Fullmer's car - sold for very big money

Click to view attachment

p.s. - my car has an original 916 front bumper - factory sourced - so - some of ya don't like 'em - c'est la vie

Larry - your car is a different story. beerchug.gif
larryM
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 13 2018, 08:38 AM) *

I’d easily believe the build costs with all the modifications that have been done.

However, that doesn’t always translate to selling price.

a'yup ... too often we've seen that - sometimes the value of the conversion = the separate value of the parts, sans the labor

as my lady says - it's an e-ticket ride at disneyland

some of the recent comments here are relevant
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=322686&hl=
sithot
No issues with the 916 bumper. I like this best: pray.gif

Click to view attachment
pete000
More history here:

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/sales_history_..._916_9142430091
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 15 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment

and, yes, those are the factory rallye GT Cibie-Pallas driving lights - also installed oem at time of Germany build

Would love to see more pics of this car...
larryM
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 15 2018, 08:12 PM) *

Would love to see more pics of this car...

you can see a lot of photos here - http://www.pbase.com/emoze/914_6_gt
- hover over the top images & click for further depth

fwiw - i was offered $60K cash 3 yrs ago by a well known SoCal collector/dealer who said he wanted send it back to Germany for Historic racing - i countered at $85K - he balked, so i just kept upgrading it

Cairo94507
Mark - I would not characterize the work done to my Six over the past 5 years as a "restoration". However, it is now getting corrected and restored to better (IMHO) than new standards by Kent. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 17 2018, 05:12 PM) *

Mark - I would not characterize the work done to my Six over the past 5 years as a "restoration". However, it is now getting corrected and restored to better (IMHO) than new standards by Kent. beerchug.gif

Yes, I agree. restoration was in quotes. But I agree, It was more like a slow motion single vehicle accident. I'm glad it's in the right place now.
Cracker
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 17 2018, 05:21 PM) *

It was more like a slow motion single vehicle accident. I'm glad it's in the right place now.

poke.gif
horizontally-opposed
Buy car
Convert front fenders back to M471 with steel
Add GT bumpers in black + GT lids
Add sail vinyl and black top
Swap giant "Fuchs" for 15x7 & 9 Fuchs
Redo interior to GT specs, with cage + top and bottom dash in Perlon
Enjoy as is on street, or slowly backdate mechanicals to go vintage racing

It really wouldn't be that hard to make it look like this…
Cracker
Pete: I guess if you can afford to acquire the car...it would not be a stretch to do as you say. However, that would make a deep project just that much slippier!

Cracker
gms
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 17 2018, 04:33 PM) *

It really wouldn't be that hard to make it look like this…

argg they cut out the head light buckets and god only knows what else

Click to view attachment
gms
and it looks like a new nose was attached, see the seam
Besides the '72s don't have the cool left side ignition and 911 style steering column

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Glenn...are you making a run at this car!!! poke.gif

T
gms
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 17 2018, 07:16 PM) *

Glenn...are you making a run at this car!!! poke.gif

T

yes I need another -6
av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 17 2018, 02:07 PM) *
fwiw - i was offered $60K cash 3 yrs ago by a well known SoCal collector/dealer who said he wanted send it back to Germany for Historic racing - i countered at $85K - he balked, so i just kept upgrading it

Please don't sell your car that cheap, it should fetch real GT money, not /6 money ...
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.