Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: considering replacing the backpad with carpet?Update Completed wanted to share pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jrblackbox
Updated -I am thinking of removing the standard backpad. Anyway, I have a couple of questions. What should I cover the firewall with, perlon or carpet? Pros and cons of either? I would imagine that the sound insulator would need to come out and then glue the perlon/carpet to the bare metal? Is there anything I can do to reduce the additional noise? where can I relocate the backpad light? Any help and or suggestions appreciated, got any pics of yours post them please! TIA

Completed changing the backpad to perlon, wanted to share a couple pics. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mepstein
Use a modern self adhesive noise suppression material (Amazon has a bunch of choices) and then perlon. Perlon is nice because it will mold to shape.
jrblackbox
How about lighting? Anybody have any pictures of the Perlon installed?
Craigers17
Not sure it this is what you're looking for, but this was posted a few months ago on a GT build off of BAT. I think this is the route I'm going to take on the backpad area.

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 14 2018, 06:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment
thieuster
There's a great pic somewhere on the forum: black seats, grey carpet and grey backpad. It looks really good; somehow it adds 'roominess' to the cockpit!

Sadly, I can't find it at the moment
Mike Fitton
Someone has a kit in perlon they were selling on EBay I think.
mepstein
QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 14 2018, 08:25 AM) *

There's a great pic somewhere on the forum: black seats, grey carpet and grey backpad. It looks really good; somehow it adds 'roominess' to the cockpit!

Movequick?
PanelBilly
Move the light to under the dash
gothspeed
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 14 2018, 04:19 AM) *

Not sure it this is what you're looking for, but this was posted a few months ago on a GT build off of BAT. I think this is the route I'm going to take on the backpad area.

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 14 2018, 06:11 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow, it looks great! and I agree it does add roominess. Makes me wish I didn't spend so much reupholstering mine ... popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
It’s what I plan to do on all of mine. I’m just waiting for 914rubber to make a kit. poke.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 07:38 AM) *

It’s what I plan to do on all of mine. I’m just waiting for 914rubber to make a kit. poke.gif

A kit would be awesome! smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 05:56 AM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 14 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Movequick?

Mike had his done and it looks great. I'll do mine just like it soon. One of these days in the near future. Maybe. Someday. laugh.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 14 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Kit? confused24.gif
Measure.
Go to local upholstery store.
Pick a color.
Ask for spray glue.
Pay for it.
Go home and install.

poke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 14 2018, 08:40 AM) *

horizontally-opposed
Have always thought it would be cool to do "dome lighting" on the targa bar pad—ideally something you wouldn't notice or that wouldn't be out of place while being "aimed" forward a bit.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2018, 02:03 PM) *

Have always thought it would be cool to do "dome lighting" on the targa bar pad—ideally something you wouldn't notice or that wouldn't be out of place while being "aimed" forward a bit.

I think you would notice it in the rear view mirror.
I like the idea of some led lights mounted under the dash, out of sight.
NS914
[/quote]
Click to view attachment
[/quote]
[/quote]
This interior looks really nice and happily once i weld in my new seat mounts I can start thinking of carpet!
deemsriddle
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 01:57 PM) *

I am installing this kit currently. I will have pictures tomorrow.
mepstein
QUOTE(deemsriddle @ Feb 14 2018, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 01:57 PM) *

I am installing this kit currently. I will have pictures tomorrow.

Great. I was wondering if it covered the entire back. From window to floor.
Larmo63
I had that Perlon carpet piece from eBay on my yellow car. My floor carpet kit was from Appbiz also on eBay, EXCELLENT, by the way, proper German Perlon with double layered mats and very well made. The firewall Perlon was a bit cheaper, more of a "polyester" in look and feel. If you looked close, they didn't match.

I was going to have Autos International make me something....
davehg
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:39 PM) *

I had that Perlon carpet piece from eBay on my yellow car. My floor carpet kit was from Appbiz also on eBay, EXCELLENT, by the way, proper German Perlon with double layered mats and very well made. The firewall Perlon was a bit cheaper, more of a "polyester" in look and feel. If you looked close, they didn't match.

+1 on appbiz carpet kit. I liked it much better than the 914world Perlon kit. Bob from Appbiz also sells bulk Perlon to match. His RS door panels for the 914 also rock.
mepstein
QUOTE(davehg @ Feb 15 2018, 01:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 14 2018, 09:39 PM) *

+1 on appbiz carpet kit. I liked it much better than the 914world Perlon kit. Bob from Appbiz also sells bulk Perlon to match. His RS door panels for the 914 also rock.

We buy a ton of 911 stuff from him. Very good products.
deemsriddle
This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
daytona
Hi deemsriddle,
I like what you are doing with the carpet. Got a couple of questions about the perlon carpet on the fire wall; did you glue it or are you using some other way to secure it like velcro? I ask Because I would like to install a perlon carpet also but my car has an engine access hatch. Also, is the perlon carpet on the firewall finished along the edges?
Thanks,
Bill.
Mueller
QUOTE(deemsriddle @ Feb 15 2018, 01:44 PM) *

This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.

Looking at this kit myself.

Any reason you didn't remove the 4 tabs up by the window that the stock backpad hooks to?

Would you recommend the kit or just put something together yourself if doing it again?

Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 21 2018, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(deemsriddle @ Feb 15 2018, 01:44 PM) *

This is our progress today. I used padding on the firewall. I also used the Perlon kit from Ebay. It looks nice but fit left a bit to be desired. Not bad for the price.

Looking at this kit myself.

Any reason you didn't remove the 4 tabs up by the window that the stock backpad hooks to?

Would you recommend the kit or just put something together yourself if doing it again?

I went to the upholstery store and bought carpet off the roll. Originally did it in one piece like a modern car but ended up cutting it down the center to access wires. Looks way cleaner than the hodgepodge of loose pieces. I think the carpet was 54" wide making it 2" wider then needed.

I haven't hung the carpet on the firewall yet, still thinking of a good method to secure it, plus I'd like to remove the hump when I go after the rust.

Perlon stretches and I think it looks better glued on the firewall than that 'fitted' kit does.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 14 2018, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 14 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Kit? confused24.gif
Measure.
Go to local upholstery store.
Pick a color.
Ask for spray glue.
Pay for it.
Go home and install.

poke.gif
true, one can do it and probably get a great result idea.gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 14 2018, 02:03 PM) *

I think you would notice it in the rear view mirror.
I like the idea of some led lights mounted under the dash, out of sight.

agree.gif I like the idea of under dash lighting .... sunglasses.gif
campbellcj
Nice - That's what I may do to mine if/when it is returned to a more streetable config. I covered the minimal dash in perlon felt and it's a cool vintage look plus saves weight and doesn't reflect back into my eyes.
gothspeed
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 22 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Nice - That's what I may do to mine if/when it is returned to a more streetable config. I covered the minimal dash in perlon felt and it's a cool vintage look plus saves weight and doesn't reflect back into my eyes.

I am still working on the dash pad ... mine is in bad shape and will be quite a bit of work to bring back to life.
Do you have any pics of the perlon you did ?
mepstein
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 11:50 AM) *

I am still working on the dash pad ... mine is in bad shape and will be quite a bit of work to bring back to life.

I was going to try a perlon cover on one of my cracked pads. Nothing to loose at this point.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2018, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 11:50 AM) *

I was going to try a perlon cover on one of my cracked pads. Nothing to lose at this point.

a matte finish on a dash would be awesome popcorn[1].gif
Mowog4
Click to view attachment
Used Dynamat as the base, got the material from the upholstery shop, put a welding around the top, and glued it onto the dynamat. Not a great photo, but it looks great.
jrblackbox
It does look great!
jrblackbox
Ok, there is dynamat on the firewall, would I be better off putting the OEM pad over the dynamat and then applying the perlon to the pad? Or is that overkill? My thinking is that more is better and it might be a cleaner install? what do you think?
Mowog4
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Ok, there is dynamat on the firewall, would I be better off putting the OEM pad over the dynamat and then applying the perlon to the pad? Or is that overkill? My thinking is that more is better and it might be a cleaner install? what do you think?

I think it is overkill. The other challenge I have is I am not using stock seats, I am 6’2’ so this created a lot more room.
Mueller
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 05:50 AM) *

The factory pad (or at least mine) has some odd protrusions that would need to be cut or smoothed out to look decent I think.
campbellcj
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 22 2018, 08:50 AM) *

To clarify, my car no longer has a stock dash pad but it still has the metal dash frame. #becauseracecar The gauge 'binnacle' is cut out of one of those ABS dash pad covers. To give credit where due, Marco @ TLG (mr9146) helped significantly with execution/installation.

Old shot from 2014 - now data acq box gone (died) and using different shift knob and door panels -

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ Feb 23 2018, 08:50 AM) *

The oem pad is very heavy. I would do the dynomat and then some foam if you want to smooth things out.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Feb 22 2018, 06:53 PM) *

Used Dynamat as the base, got the material from the upholstery shop, put a welding around the top, and glued it onto the dynamat. Not a great photo, but it looks great.

That looks awesome. Really like the way the way the covering follows the contours without any ripples ... top notch! beerchug.gif

Does that firewall covering have any 'stretch' to it?

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Feb 23 2018, 07:00 AM) *

To clarify, my car no longer has a stock dash pad but it still has the metal dash frame. #becauseracecar The gauge 'binnacle' is cut out of one of those ABS dash pad covers. To give credit where due, Marco @ TLG (mr9146) helped significantly with execution/installation.

Old shot from 2014 - now data acq box gone (died) and using different shift knob and door panels -
it looks very 'racey' ..... I am in the midst of finding a matte fabric or material that can widthstand UV for the area in front of the dash pad.

Thanks for posting pics of your dash!! smash.gif
GregAmy
I like this idea. Would give me another inch of seat travel without the seat squeeking on the back pad.

I don't even use my interior light, so no loss there.
Mowog4
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 23 2018, 09:22 AM) *

I like this idea. Would give me another inch of seat travel without the seat squeeking on the back pad.

I don't even use my interior light, so no loss there.

My car has an led strip under the dash which is adequate for lighting. The perlon is pretty easy to fit and imho looks great.
MoveQik
I covered mine with Dynamat then perlon. I love the look...much more clean, imho.

Of course, I have taken my whole interior down to a much more simple level.
jmitro
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 02:26 PM) *

Great. I was wondering if it covered the entire back. From window to floor.

Bought the kit you referenced and installed this weekend.

jmitro
I laid 1/8” foam underneath and was able to lay it down nicely. Trimmed off about 2” excess from the top
mepstein
QUOTE(jmitro @ Mar 5 2018, 01:23 PM) *

I laid 1/8” foam underneath and was able to lay it down nicely. Trimmed off about 2” excess from the top

Looks great. Is it grey or black?
tygaboy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 5 2018, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Mar 5 2018, 01:23 PM) *

Looks great. Is it grey or black?

agree.gif ! agree.gif !
Very tidy. Nice job.
jmitro
thanks! I got charcoal grey
Literati914
I love the perlon, but was wondering if anyone's done similar with a square weave carpet, to match the flooring?

Doug C
Rob-O
I haven’t seen a square weave. Square weave is pretty stout and not easy to work around bends. I think of square weave as the carpet found in the 356. German weave was in our cars. Not as stout but looked similar. Could or should be able to be worked easier. 914Rubber sells it for the floor so I’m sure you could get it in bulk.
jrblackbox
Update- completed changing the backpad to perlon.

pics here too.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.