Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 914 2.0L with only 5K miles....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cal
This should be interesting to follow early next month at the Gooding & Company auction at Amelia Island......'74 Porsche 914 2.0L with only 5,000 miles. It was part of the Brumos Collection since 2003. The estimated auction price is between $60 - $80K....without reserve. This might set a new mark for 914/4's.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1974-porsche-914-2-0/

EdwardBlume
$100K+
VaccaRabite
And ill be there to watch it live. :-)

Zach
Tom_T
While it will be interesting to see what happens with this one, what it sells for, & where it goes to next ....

It's sad to see the Brumos Collection being sold off, & this sort of museum quality 914 disappear from the public eye as a known unmolested example that some CW Teener in 10-20+ years could've looked at for their restoration to original specs. .... i.e.: perhaps some of our kids or grandkids lose the example, if they still have our cars in hand.

While it doesn't seem like a big deal, I saw the glee of my wife when she saw a humble & similarly pristine & low mile `73 Honda Civic CVCC on display in the Museum of Transportation in Washington DC, just like her own little first car that she bought with her money (aside from her ex-spouse & parents' cars before that). She still brags about "her little car" in the museum to family & friends.

So this will be one less "glee maker" if it goes to private hands in this sale, which is sad for every kid or grown-up who could point to it in the Brumos Collection & say my ____ driving.gif driving-girl.gif ____ used to have one of those & used to show it off at car shows where it won first.gif &/or loved to scream around the twisties in it!

Just some food for thought!

JMHO beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JamesM
I don't think i have ever seen a picture of a 914 with the front trunk drain tube intact outside of old factory photos from the 70s. Wish they had more pictures up, I would love to study this thing up close. I love that they havent even changed the ridiculous looking US ride height.

My guess is low-mid 60s but really hard to say given it may be the lowest mileage 914 in existence. Seen some crazy auction prices on old air cooled cars lately.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
would love to see some detailed shots of this car, of course the color is fabulous and will contribute to a higher sale price.

Years ago we had a PERFECT Zambezi green 914 with tan interior and as I remember about 23,000 miles on it, and sold it for 35,000. It is still in someones collection, so 60 thousand for this one is certainly a great price
mepstein
It needs flares and a 3.2
SKL1
Considering what that big bumper car went for last year, this should be REAL good. Imagine if it was a '73...
burton73
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Considering what that big bumper car went for last year, this should be REAL good. Imagine if it was a '73...

The prices for 76 super nice cars have gone way up after the big auction. After this auction 74 that had been higher than 76s will be even higher.

But a rising tide lifts all boats!

Bob B
w00t.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 11:29 AM) *

It looks to have the "included" Appearance & Performance Groups of options - or mostly so - which the 73 2Ls had for most of the 73 MY, that makes them more desireable than the 74's - so the carry-over should be consistant.

That is .... if anyone else owns another 5K mile 73 or 74 .... same thing with that ultra-low mile 76 2L that sold so high last year. Unicorns!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 10:49 AM) *

bootyshake.gif
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 14 2018, 12:27 PM) *

I don't think i have ever seen a picture of a 914 with the front trunk drain tube intact outside of old factory photos from the 70s. Wish they had more pictures up, I would love to study this thing up close. I love that they havent even changed the ridiculous looking US ride height.

My guess is low-mid 60s but really hard to say given it may be the lowest mileage 914 in existence. Seen some crazy auction prices on old air cooled cars lately.

Auto Atlanta has the front drain hose. I bought one and put on my 914. Most people don’t know what it is. One person asked me if it was air conditioner drain.
JeffBowlsby
A fully optioned '74 2.0L should be equivalent to a '73 2.0L all else being equal. Perhaps more.
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 14 2018, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 14 2018, 12:27 PM) *

Auto Atlanta has the front drain hose. I bought one and put on my 914. Most people don’t know what it is. One person asked me if it was air conditioner drain.

IIRC it's still made for & sold by Porsche, because it's also used as the drain for the headlight buckets of 911/912/912E - ergo they still support it.

PS - I think that AA, Stoddards, SMC, etc. sell the original Porsche part. 914Rubber has a good black silicone (?) repro - if you're not a CW &/or price sensitive.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 14 2018, 12:47 PM) *

A fully optioned '74 2.0L should be equivalent to a '73 2.0L all else being equal. Perhaps more.

That's what I was saying Jeff. biggrin.gif

PS - Although I don't agree with "perhaps more" - unless it's an LE of course!
.... both 73 & 74 2.0s fully optioned & with the 91/95 HP GA engines should be equivalent.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
A ‘74 is one year newer and has newer refinements than a 73, especially a late 74 compared to an early 73. Admittedly subtle differences but could be meaningful to some.
iwanta914-6
A 1975 1.8L went for $90K+ last year, this will surpass that!
Andyrew
I have a buddy at the Gooding Company that puts all the high end cars on the lot, He just got into 914's and Im sure he'll be telling me about this one. I'll let you know what I find out.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 14 2018, 01:10 PM) *

A ‘74 is one year newer and has newer refinements than a 73, especially a late 74 compared to an early 73. Admittedly subtle differences but could be meaningful to some.

Jeff -

At this age for any classic & collectable car - a model year newer is meaningless in the value equation - far more important are condition, originality, equipment & option set, miles, model/sub-model desirability & scarcity, etc.

But more than just that - the 74s also went with cost saving changes, including changing the true leather wrapped steering wheels & shifter boots to leatherette, nicer looking aluminum door sill plates & carpet edge strips to black plastic ones, changed the glass to plastic gauge lenses, etc. - from 73 to 74 MY respectively on all, especially for the later models. Basically they "cheapened" the 74 cars in order to remain competitive in the USA.

As far as the -037 series EFI components in 73 MY going to 74 MY's -041 (??) series components - other than availability in 74-76 2L's - there was little or no differences nor improvements.

Ergo, the 73 are usually considered preferable over the 74's by most collectors - mostly due to the higher options in most 73 MY 2Ls, but also due to the above cost savings measures which Porsche instituted in the 74 MY, after they took over the VW-Porsche JV & full control over production.

Tjhat was primarily in response to the WG-DM inflation vs. the US Dollar at that time driving up the prices from early 1973 onward. So even in later 73 MY, they also decontented some 914 2L's & marketed them as "Sport" - such as Dave K's excellent example.

So I'll have to disagree with you on the 74 2L's being more valuable nor more desirable - even in later parts of the 74 MY production.

Again, the LE/CanAm 2Ls hold better value due to their limited numbers.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cal
Not that it much matters but, a '74 2.0L that came from the factory fully optioned is a rare animal....appearance package, chrome bumpers, alloy wheels, tinted glass, sway bars, etc. Most clients ordering a '74 2.0L typically didn't check off all the options boxes when placing the order because of the costs. A '73 2.0L pretty much came standard with most of these items.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 14 2018, 01:39 PM) *

Not that it much matters but, a '74 2.0L that came from the factory fully optioned is a rare animal....appearance package, chrome bumpers, alloy wheels, tinted glass, sway bars, etc. Most clients ordering a '74 2.0L typically didn't check off all the options boxes when placing the order because of the costs. A '73 2.0L pretty much came standard with most of these items.

Yes Jeff,

And that's why the 73's tend to be preferred buy buyers, because most all made from Aug. 72 to about March 73 were with the App. & Perf. Groups of options included for the $5299 list price (later as high as $7299+/- by June/July 73), & marketed here by P+A/VoA as the "914S".

Maybe eventually the decontented 73 "Sport" & fully optioned 74 2Ls may overtake the 73 "914S" values as less common, which will be interesting to see how the "collectors" view the various 914s as time goes on.

I think that for the normal folks looking for a nice 914 /4to drive &/or show, it helps to look for the 73-74 GA 2.0s for the better performance, & the 73's for getting more of the options on them (if they weren't removed by POs), just for better usability.

But I don't mean that to detract from any 914 which suits someone's personal taste, whether 4 or 6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 GA or GC, -6, Porsche-6 & Subie & V8 & other conversions, resto-mods, etc. - it's gotta fit the owner's preferences.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 09:49 AM) *

Amen brother!
SKL1
One big advantage with '73 over '74 is no rear bumper tits. When I had my '73 front bumper rechromed I removed the front tits and had them fill the holes. Yeah, it's not "original" but with all the other stuff I did a PCA concours judge would probably have a stroke... even though he'd have trouble finding any dirt!
Tom_T
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 03:20 PM) *

One big advantage with '73 over '74 is no rear bumper tits. When I had my '73 front bumper rechromed I removed the front tits and had them fill the holes. Yeah, it's not "original" but with all the other stuff I did a PCA concours judge would probably have a stroke... even though he'd have trouble finding any dirt!

Actually we do not judge originality at all anymore in the PCA Regions/Zones Concourse, & it only sometimes matters at national Parade Concours IF you're up against a more original example, but otherwise equal - then you may lose out.

Now it's just a cleaning & detailing contest at the PCA Concours, but the judges do go into every nook & cranny that they can reach.

PCA Zone 8's Concours section has some excellent documents to read up on what to do & what to expect - heck, even the judge's school PowerPoint!

So bottom line - don't be afraid to bring your super clean 914 out to any of the PCA Concours. I don't know about the Iowa shows, but you also list Scottsdale AZ, & that's part of our Zone 8 - & the PHX area Concours will be on Nov 3, & Tuscon will be May 5 Cinqo de Mayo.

So do the Teeners proud! smilie_pokal.gif

PS - Your OO `71 can also compete in Unrestored, if it's at least 75% or more original paint & interior - not counting things like optional shift knobs, etc. Very little good competition for original 914s even here in Zone 8 (SoCal, Central CA up to Kern & San Luis counties, So. NV, & all of AZ - the supposedly "dry" states. So you could even win Zone 8 honors if you made enough of the shows - & you can legally trailer to any out of state Concours - which is NV & all CA shows.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cal
Photos now posted on the website.....

Firstcar
More photos I had on my computer from when it was on display at Brumo’s (courtesy of another member’s post in the past).
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=639
299]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mueller
^ wow, that car just make my heart skip a beat! So , so clean.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
one think I did notice though on this perfect car, is that someone drilled it for rust proofing and plugged the holes.

Can you imagine, the dealer running some kid out there with a drill and saying to drill a bunch of holes in this car and squirt tar into them?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have a 1974 ten thousand mile totally original light ivory 914 here in our display case, but a car that is so without any options, that it does not even have a center cushion!!! Still a time capsule though Like any stripped vs loaded classic car, probably worth half as much as this zambezi green one (although ours is not rust proofed! Perfectly cheap light ivory fender wells
Cal
My '74 2.0L was built just 67 cars before this one....

Unfortunately, rust proofing was pretty common back in the day.
sithot
Monterey 2017

1975 Porsche 914 1.8 Targa
3,192 Miles
Auction: RM Sotheby’s, lot 112
Final sale price: $93,500

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 14 2018, 02:27 PM) *

A 1975 1.8L went for $90K+ last year, this will surpass that!

QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 15 2018, 10:41 AM) *

Monterey 2017

3,192 Miles

That's what I was referring to in my post...
Cal
QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 15 2018, 11:41 AM) *

Monterey 2017

3,192 Miles

I believe Spike Feresten bought that car.....
Mueller
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 15 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Monterey 2017

3,192 Miles

Had to "google" who that is smile.gif
(I think I need to steer my twins into becoming writers for TV shows instead of medical or engineering based on the toys he has! Pay must be pretty damn good, hahaha)

Seems like pretty cool car guy, wonder if it'll just sit or will he drive it once in a while?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
years ago I was offered that car for 25,000 but at that time, too much money for a base 75 1.8 no matter how many miles were on it! (who wanted that big bumpered slow ride back then? (LOL)

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 15 2018, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 15 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Monterey 2017

3,192 Miles

Had to "google" who that is smile.gif
(I think I need to steer my twins into becoming writers for TV shows instead of medical or engineering based on the toys he has! Pay must be pretty damn good, hahaha)

Seems like pretty cool car guy, wonder if it'll just sit or will he drive it once in a while?
Ansbacher
[quote name='SKL1' date='Feb 14 2018, 05:20 PM' post='2579107']
One big advantage with '73 over '74 is no rear bumper tits. When I had my '73 front bumper rechromed I removed the front tits and had them fill the holes."

Yeah, until those rear tits save you from backing in to something hard and immovable, then you will wish you had them. Had the '73 HAD the rear tits and were removed for 1974, everyone would be saying here that it was part of the cheapening down of the '74 model year. I am glad to be a '74 owner, as it rarer than the '73 and somewhat of a one-off model year. Go 1974!

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
Dave_Darling
I don't think Spike realized he was buying a car with replacement panels on it...

--DD
bbrock
[quote name='Ansbacher' date='Feb 15 2018, 12:02 PM' post='2579389']
One big advantage with '73 over '74 is no rear bumper tits. When I had my '73 front bumper rechromed I removed the front tits and had them fill the holes."

Yeah, until those rear tits save you from backing in to something hard and immovable, then you will wish you had them. Had the '73 HAD the rear tits and were removed for 1974, everyone would be saying here that it was part of the cheapening down of the '74 model year. I am glad to be a '74 owner, as it rarer than the '73 and somewhat of a one-off model year. Go 1974!

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
[/quote]

agree.gif I love my '73, but I guess you could call me a tit man because I like them. I may be WAY out on my own here, but I don't understand the aversion to the late BUBs either. As I recall, more than one car writer commended Porsche for managing to improve the appearance of the 914 while meeting the new crash standards. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "improve," but I don't mind the look of he late bumpers and wouldn't think about back dating if I had one. hide.gif
SKL1
When I got my '71 I had it Ziebarted and yes they drilled those damned holes everywhere, even in places it didn't even matter. Was pretty common back then especially in IA where salt was plentiful. Of course, now I would NEVER do that and luckily my '73 was never "rustproofed."

I went around at the time and put touchup paint around the holes as I'd seen several cars that got surface rust in the holes!! And yes, those yellow plugs were pretty ugly!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I really like the front bumper guards, they make the front end look longer and of course protect that valuable front chrome bumper somewhat. Cannot say that I like the rear ones, but you know me, if it came with the car, we leave it that way (I bet I have over 150 sets of new bumper guards here!!!!!!)

quote name='bbrock' date='Feb 15 2018, 02:32 PM' post='2579441']
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Feb 15 2018, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 14 2018, 05:20 PM) *

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L

agree.gif I love my '73, but I guess you could call me a tit man because I like them. I may be WAY out on my own here, but I don't understand the aversion to the late BUBs either. As I recall, more than one car writer commended Porsche for managing to improve the appearance of the 914 while meeting the new crash standards. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "improve," but I don't mind the look of he late bumpers and wouldn't think about back dating if I had one. hide.gif
pete000
I had a 78 924 that was Ziebarted, they slathered that black tar all over that poor car. Drilled the holes all over and this was in Florida! I think it was a $98.00 option. It was so hard working on the suspension. Had to scrape the goo off every nut and bolt. What a horrible invention.
raynekat
I personally abhor cars that get the Zeibart rust proof treatment.
What an abomination!
No matter how nice the car is...like this current car for discussion...I wouldn't want it.

That said, the remainder of the car is drop dead beautiful.
The more detailed pics there are....the better.
Tom_T
[quote name='Ansbacher' date='Feb 15 2018, 12:02 PM' post='2579389']
Had the '73 HAD the rear tits and were removed for 1974, everyone would be saying here that it was part of the cheapening down of the '74 model year. I am glad to be a '74 owner, as it rarer than the '73 and somewhat of a one-off model year. Go 1974!

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L
[/quote]

Nothing against the 74's - I was just pointing out the changes made to production by Porsche to keep the car price competitive with their Japanese, Brit & Italian sports car competition. Going + $2000 from $5299 to $7299 in about 6-8 months was killing their sales, so they made some adjustments. It's just part of the History of the 914s.

Also, 73 & 74 MYs were the peak 914 production number years, with something like 40-60% being 2.0s (maybe - just a SWAG estimate by me), so production of 73 & 74 was about the same, with 74 only slightly less (by about 15%+/- IIRC). Note that the production number at the chart in the 914info on here is by ""Calendar Year," so it mixes the 2 MYs in each calendar year. Ergo, part of the 73 production were 74 MYs & only part of 74 were 74 MY (ther rest were 75 MY), & part of 72 were 73 MYs (but all 2.0's were 73 MY, & the part of the 1.7s were 72 MY) & only part of 73 were 73 MY.

The F & R Tits & BUBs were phased in by USA law under US-DOT for their phase-in of the mandated crash protection, with the "Tits" being 3 mph crash protection (or 5 mph?), with F mandated for 73 MY cars, & F + R for 74 MY cars; then the BUBs were 7 mph crash protection F & R mandated for the 75> MY.

So they couldn't have reversed the F+R tits for F only tits in 74 & 73 as a cost savings step.

Porsche did Tits & BUBs on the 914s, & Tits & according bumpers on the 911/912E/930's. However, the 914 BUBs were actually the test bed for the later body fared bumper covers of the later 964> era 914s - although body color painted in the latter case. So our 914s actually helped out the future bumper design of the 911, 924/944/968 & 928 etc. model lines!

IMHO the BUBs look great on the darker colored 914s & good on lighter colored ones (too bad they hadn't tried the body color paint, rather than all in flat black). Also IMHO, I'm okay with the look of F &/or F+R tits, but think that the early plain chrome bumpers looked better - even if less functional.

And - yes - I have benefited on several occasions with the front tits on my 73 saving the need for a new front bumper, but only in very low speed collisions.

While many feel that the 75-76 BUBs is a polarizing look & many hate them, the more critical change from 73-74 MYs was the introduction of more stringent smog controls starting in 73 MY & increased in 75> MY - wherein for CA it required the fateful "Crapalytic Converter" - making CA 914 even more gutless than its 49 State siblings. On top of that, the new stronger 7 mph BUBs added 200-300 lbs. to an already detuned car - exacerbating the power loss perception when driving them.

To illustrate this power comparison for the USA engines - the 70-72 1.7s put out 80 HP & dropped to 72 HP in 73 with the 1st stage of smog controls added, while the 1.8 improved that to 76 HP; while the 73-74 2.0 put out 95 HP, then the 2L's dropped to 88 HP for 75-76 - which is not much more than a nice 72 1.7 benefiting from all the updates of adjustable passenger seat, added dash vents, better tuned tail-shifter trans, etc. Add 200-300 lbs. more weight from the BUBs, & the power-to-weight ratio of a 75-76 2L is nearly the same as a 70-72 1.7L 914.

IMHO & for my own personal choice when I got my 914 in late 1975 - I test drove a couple of dozen 914s from every MY 70-76 - including a 71 914-6 which a buddy owned which was way out of my budget. While I loved the looks of the 75-76 in the Anacona Blue Metallic & Laguna Blue with White interior - I was nonplussed by the lack of power (& power-to-weight) making them more sluggish than the used 73-74 2L's which I'd test driven then. And my monthly payment would've been nearly the same with the used car at 3 year 80% financing at a higher interest rate, as would the new 75-76 at 5 year 100% loan at a lower rate - so price really wasn't a factor.

I'm just sharing some of the 914 history here - not making judgements on any particular MY or model, & only was pointing out that there were other mitigating factors which - at present - do not make the pricing of a 74 2.0 higher than a similarly equipped, optioned, miles & condition 73 2L.

Bottom line is that we all make/made our 914 decision(s) based on what fits us best. So yes Ansbacher, be proud of your 74! smile.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
davehg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 14 2018, 09:49 AM) *

You mean...it needs riveted flares and a 3.2

IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 14 2018, 12:31 PM) *

So I'll have to disagree with you on the 74 2L's being more valuable nor more desirable - even in later parts of the 74 MY production.

You are more impassioned than me about this topic Tom - no worries, we can disagree and it wont ruin our friendship.

For me, as I qualified my comments before, "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL" - condition, options, etc. - the features of the 74 model takes the lead on preference by a hair. Everyone always says the '73s are 'better' but I don't always follow the crowd. Specifically, I happen to prefer the:

*extra safety of the side door bars and better window lifters over the early 73's
*black center gauges, door sills, tailbadges and window squirters, because they look cleaner. I don't read them as 'cheaper' but as an improvement
*EFI components - the 73 MPS/ECU was a workaround, they figured it out beginning in 74
*F&R bumper guards make the car look longer
*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?

I guess I mainly just take exception with the unqualified generalization that the 73s (implying all 73s) are better than the 74s. Its not always true to my eye.

Cal
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 16 2018, 12:59 AM) *

You are more impassioned than me about this topic Tom - no worries, we can disagree and it wont ruin our friendship.

For me, as I qualified my comments before, "ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL" - condition, options, etc. - the features of the 74 model takes the lead on preference by a hair. Everyone always says the '73s are 'better' but I don't always follow the crowd. Specifically, I happen to prefer the:

*extra safety of the side door bars and better window lifters over the early 73's
*black center gauges, door sills, tailbadges and window squirters, because they look cleaner. I don't read them as 'cheaper' but as an improvement
*EFI components - the 73 MPS/ECU was a workaround, they figured it out beginning in 74
*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?

I guess I mainly just take exception with the unqualified generalization that the 73s (implying all 73s) are better than the 74s. Its not always true to my eye.

......I have to agree with this statement.

"*and who can argue with the cool factor of the 'sit down shut up and drive' sticker on the 74's?"

EdwardBlume
Jeff B makes a darn good argument...

74s are the best 914s.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 15 2018, 10:59 PM) *

Yes Jeff, we can agree to disagree & remain friends! biggrin.gif

As a 73 owner, I have to say that mine is best!
.... or at least it will be once restored/repaired, that is! Getting close to body shop time now .... finally! dry.gif

BTW - I wasn't talking about the "Silver Dot" vs. "Black Dot" gauges look - although I personally prefer the old school 50's & 60's Porsche look of the silver dot gauges.

I meant the 2 "cost savings" measures on gauges which Porsche took for 74> 914s were that the early 70-73 glass bezels went to clear plastic.

Plus they did the typical VW cost cut of going from both L & R turn signal indicators in the Tach, to the ubiquitous single indicator light for both directions, so you cannot tell if you have which signal direction going. I didn't like that about the new 75 & 76 914 2L's that I drove new, nor do I like it in our 88 Westy van.

Also, I put forth a qualified generalization only applying to lesser cars other than this 74 2L example, your & other very clean LEs, etc. It only applies to those trying to find a "fully loaded" 2.0, & that being easier with the 73's which mostly had the AG+PG option groups.

However, I did disagree with you that the 74's are less rare by much production (except LEs), & that there were improvements to them which make them more valuable than 73s.

And many prefer the early lighter doors without the sidebeams in the early production 73's like mine, since they added 200+/- lbs. to the power-to-weight ratio performance equation.

Again, all things 914 come down to the preferences of the guy or gal writing the check! biggrin.gif

PS - I technically own one of each, cuz my parts car (body only ;-) is a 74 2.0! happy11.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 15 2018, 11:06 AM) *

My '74 2.0L was built just 67 cars before this one....

Unfortunately, rust proofing was pretty common back in the day.

When I bought mine new my dealer tried their darnest to get me to get the rust proofing option. I refused and it was one of my best decisions. My wives, well that is another story.
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Feb 17 2018, 05:30 AM) *

When I bought mine new my dealer tried their darnest to get me to get the rust proofing option. I refused and it was one of my best decisions. My wives, well that is another story.

lol-2.gif Been there, done that! ... one ex anyway!

The dealers made & still do make big profits on dealer installed services, options & accessories - so they pushed the Zeibart & other stuff.

This can be really ludicrous, in trying to sell you things already on your new car, such as the VW dealer "automatically" adding on ScotchGaurding the upholstery for our `88 Westfalia CamperGL - when the Westfalia Plant who finished the full campers already did it, & it's listed in the VW Sales brochure!! Needless to say, I had them remove the "automatic charge" as total BS!

Also, a few of the unscrupulous Porsche+Audi dealers back in the day were notorious from removing the alloy wheels from 914s coming from the factory so equipped, replacing them with steelies, & then offering to "add them" for the customer at extra cost - thereby double charging for the wheels (i.e.: both on window sticker price + dealer invoice options price over sticker price).

This was in addition to the even more common P+A dealer trick of stealing the alloy spares, replacing with a steel spare, & then selling a set of 4 at 100% profit from the stolen spares from every 4th 914 sold that way. A few buyers got savvy & insisted that they replace the stolen spare alloys factory fitted to ALL alloy equipped 914s 70-76 MYs (it was never a Porsche cost saving measure, as some have said).

Unfortunately the original owner PO from whom I bought my 914 not only didn't know about the steal the spare trick, but also apparently didn't know that the BO Recall was supposed to replace the incorrect p/n: -00 non-self-centering 2L Fuchs with a new set of 5 p/n: -01 self-centering (hub-centric) wheels to fit over the "new for 73 MY" self-centering front hubs' lip at the center hub. So the dealer sold them 4 Rivieras at extra cost & stole the alloy spare for a steelie. That dealer was one of the worst for all of the dirty tricks, & is no longer around,

Also, the PO original owner of my 73 bought the black underbody/wheel wells black spray-on coating only, which I have to say did stop rust coming from the outside - in, but not much good from the inside - rusting out, as where the window washer bottle & MC leaked down into the lower cavities to the bottom (as well as all those topside spots where 914s are notorious for rusting in-to-outside where Karmann injected foam, etc.).

Fun-n-Games in Porsche-land!

Back to the actual subject at hand with this gorgeous Zambezi on Black 74 2.0 - to tie the above back in - it looks like this one escaped the spare alloy thievery of it's dealer, as it has all 5 Fuchs 2L's intact!
drooley.gif wub.gif first.gif

IPB Image

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.