Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Laguna Seca Oct 29th weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TRE Cup
Victory Lane Magazine is sponsoring a 914 Gathering at Laguna Seca Oct 29/30 this weekend as part of the SCCA vintage race weekend. They are trying to get us teeners to be the featured marque! If you are a qualified racer or know someone with a 914 that is, please have them contact Pam Shatraw at 650 321 1411 to get on their list ASAP. This event sells out early every year!
I think they plan on a 914 parking corral- so all you non-racers come out to support us smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
yes. i was actually working on a "official" announcement ... biggrin.gif

Victory Lane Magazine and 914world.com are presenting this event together and i'll have the official thread ready by tomorrow,

meanwhile, all you racer guys please sing up for this, it's going to be a blast!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Trekkor
I want to be a racer guy unsure.gif

KT
9146R
OK !! I am going. Great track, weather will be super, all the teeners will be fun and we will have an audience. Might want to do a tour/drive in and around Carmel/Monterey if time permits for the non-racers (corral types). Trekkor you ARE a racer. beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
Define qualified racer....one with a SCCA license...... or will a cheesy PCA DE one work....
carr914
I wanna be a West Coast guy for a weekend.

T.C.
nebreitling
i believe this event was to require a proper race liscense...

this would be too much fun.... i want to... but i don't think i could get a cage and a liscense by then...
jimtab
Well, I'm no racer but I will be there in the new improved Thunderbolt Greaseslapper-Brazilia one-off to cheer the racers on...and maybe drink a beer...or two....why don't we take over the campground and have a BIGASS BBQ? I'll help with the cooking....
drew365
Dave; What are the license requirements? Will a POC race license suffice?
The $64 question: what is the db level limit. I'd like to go but if it's 93db I'd be wasting my time. My cars kind of loud.
Ahndy; we need more info, or I won't let you drive my car again!
campbellcj
Like some of the other guys, I would be interested if (1) there were a DE or TT run group as it's really doubtful I could get SCCA licensed by then and (2) I had any chance to make the dB limits. My car is even louder than Andy's... happy11.gif

Dave does your car make Laguna sound limits if you run a stock-ish airbox and muffler? Or do you have to also apply other tricks?
ppickerell
I would love to attend as spectator/914 corral/campground partying person. I have reserved sites for Historics and ALMS (Pcar LMP2 debut!) We stop at Phil's in Moss Landing on the way down and get a gallon of Cioppino and some Chianti. Let's gang camp! Bring your mountain bikes.
SirAndy
ok, here's the scoop in short, a complete PDF can be found on the SCCA SFR Region Website:

==================================
Driver License: A current racing license issued by SCCA, SCCA Vintage, or any of the following will be
accepted with proof of current SCCA membership:
• Classic Sports Racing Group (CSRG)
• BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA)
• Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing (CVAR)
• Historic Motor Sports Association (HMSA)
• Historic Sportscar Racing Group (HSR)
• Porsche Club of America (PCA)
• Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing (RMVR)
• Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts (SOVERN)
• Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA)
• Vintage Auto Racing Association (VARA)
• Vintage Auto Racing Association of Canada (VARAC)
• Vintage Racing/British Columbia (VRC of BC)
• Vintage Sports Car Club of America (VSCCA)
• Vintage Sportscar Driver’s Association (VSCDA)
• Vintage Sportscar Racing Inc. (VSCR)
• Vintage Motorsports Council National License
==================================

here's the link to the event site:
http://www.sfrscca.org/RoadRacing/Vintage/

it seems you have to be a SCCA member for the event, but other club licenses are accepted.
all rules and requirements can be found on above event site (there's a PDF you can download) ...

beerchug.gif Andy

PS: altough POC and PRC are not on that list, i would be surprised if they didn't allow those as well ...
rjkavanagh
Sounds like a great weekend. I'll be there as a spectator.
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 2 2005, 03:11 PM)
I want to be a racer guy unsure.gif

KT

Me too! What is qualified? I have taken more formal intermediate race classes at Infineon. If I take the advanced class I think I earn SCCA lic. I'd thow a cage in my car for that event if I could compete! Very cool!
grantsfo
QUOTE (campbellcj @ Jun 2 2005, 08:13 PM)
Like some of the other guys, I would be interested if (1) there were a DE or TT run group as it's really doubtful I could get SCCA licensed by then and (2) I had any chance to make the dB limits. My car is even louder than Andy's... happy11.gif

Dave does your car make Laguna sound limits if you run a stock-ish airbox and muffler? Or do you have to also apply other tricks?

Just lift by the sound measuring device. biggrin.gif
brant
Ok,

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.
Its always been a dream of mine to drive there...
(and I have 2 of those listed liscenses)

brant
Joe Bob
So I'm guessing a PCA DE license won't cut it....bummer.....well looks like I will need to get upgraded this year some how. Used to have one...then had kids.... dry.gif
9146R
92 db sound limit. If in doubt about your car, per Grant - lift at turn 5 where the sound check is located or move your tail pipe downwards and towards the driver side of the car - away from the station which is on pass. side). BBQ at or near the corral is a must.
neo914-6
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 2 2005, 08:23 PM)
I would love to attend as spectator/914 corral/campground partying person. I have reserved sites for Historics and ALMS (Pcar LMP2 debut!) We stop at Phil's in Moss Landing on the way down and get a gallon of Cioppino and some Chianti. Let's gang camp! Bring your mountain bikes.

Patrick,

914club BBQ! I don't know if I can stay over but I want to attend too...

Do you drive down Hwy1 or cut across on 152 to hit Moss Landing?
grantsfo
QUOTE (9146R @ Jun 3 2005, 07:54 AM)
92 db sound limit. If in doubt about your car, per Grant - lift at turn 5 where the sound check is located or move your tail pipe downwards and towards the driver side of the car - away from the station which is on pass. side). BBQ at or near the corral is a must.

Its funny I never realized why people were driving around with downward bent tubes clamped onto their exhausts until I went to Laguna Seca. That does seem to work.
drew365
Last event at Laguna, I put on new mufflers with the tips pointed toward the drivers side and made an aluminum and 1" sound deadening sandwich board that bolted to the top of my air cleaners and was the size of the hood. I got measured at 97.6db. Lifting is not a lot of fun, you lose probably 2 to 3 seconds going up the hill at t5. I'd rather spend the money on something else, though I really love running that track.
SirAndy
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jun 3 2005, 05:29 PM)
I got measured at 97.6db.

actually, we went through this with scotts tube frame car last time we were there ...

here's what we found:

we were blackflagged with over 105 db during the first practice session.
we didn't have a second muffler, so we tried to cover the engine lid.
but trying to keep the noise inside the engine comp did *NOT* work. it made it worse!
we got black-flagged again (and they don't think that's very funny ...)
we were ready to pack up and go home when we decided to go the opposite route and try one more time ...

we took the engine lid completely off! all the noise went straight *up* into the sky and we passed!
no lifting throttle required, same muffler as before (where we had 105+ db) ...

so apparently, they must measure the sound close to the ground ...
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
for more info, see here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=7&t=32703&st=0

beerchug.gif Andy
TRE Cup
92 db noise limit:
here is what works on a normally loud 914-6.
1) install engine surround metal or fiberglass- if you block off all the top area, ithe noise is just going to escape out the bottom
2) install the stock birdbaths and air cleaner housing
3) install a snorkel to the air cleaner housing with hose coming out to the top of the car. Any deleterious effects of the smaller hose is negated by the ram air when the snorkel is facing forward
4) stock muffler with additional exit tip facing left side of the car.
This is the inexpensive method and will require you to rejet the car - but would you rather race or spectate?

There is a Phase 9 system available with special headers and muffler made especially for laguna, but i hear it costs almost $3500!

Personally, I am going to try my dansk dual outlet muffler with two elbows facing left, and bring a right side cap if its too loud

With regards to licensing; this is a wheel to wheel race and laguna is not the place for the novice to be in his first race in what is usually a very competitive field. I recommend that any entrants have at least one year of wheel to wheel experience racing their cars.
ppickerell
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 3 2005, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 2 2005, 08:23 PM)
I would love to attend as spectator/914 corral/campground partying person. I have reserved sites for Historics and ALMS (Pcar LMP2 debut!) We stop at Phil's in Moss Landing  on the way down and get a gallon of Cioppino and some Chianti. Let's gang camp! Bring your mountain bikes.

Patrick,

914club BBQ! I don't know if I can stay over but I want to attend too...

Do you drive down Hwy1 or cut across on 152 to hit Moss Landing?

I usually take 152. I kayak in Elkhorn Slough all the time and Phils is the killer seafood place in Moss Landing.
rjkavanagh
Thought I'd give this a bump and see if there was any new information.
brant
I can only speak for myself....
but its sad for me to say, that I just can't afford to go now....

too far to tow.
too expensive.

dang, its my dream track
maybe next year
have fun guys!

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.