Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 new Porsche owner seeks help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
afrusciante
My dear friend Ralph G in PA suggested I reach out to you guys for guidance.

I'm taking possession of a 86 911 Targa with a 100,000 miles on it. The car has been in storage for 8 years with a fiberglass tarp and no climate control in CT. The car is Guard Red but you would think it was blue. What critical items am I looking to address starting this car and any recommendations for shops in CT I can bring the car to. I know the car is going to need oil and gas change, tune-up, brakes, tune-up, battery and don't know what else.

Thanks Guys
Armand
Coondog

Try this site for your answers, next time buy a 914....... first.gif

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(afrusciante @ Feb 15 2018, 07:16 PM) *

I'm taking possession of a 86 911 Targa with a 100,000 miles on it. The car has been in storage for 8 years with a fiberglass tarp and no climate control in CT. The car is Guard Red but you would think it was blue. What critical items am I looking to address starting this car and any recommendations for shops in CT I can bring the car to. I know the car is going to need oil and gas change, tune-up, brakes, tune-up, battery and don't know what else.

Thanks Guys
Armand

Clean the tank,pump some fresh gas , fire that thing up driving-girl.gif
GeorgeRud
Check out the 911 Forum on the Pelican Parts website. There’s tons of great information on the care and feeding of 911s on their site. Their 914 site doesn’t get as many views as the 914World, so this site is better for the 914s.

I’ve been fortunate to owned both 914s and 911s for many years and they’re both great fun.
mountainroads
QUOTE(afrusciante @ Feb 15 2018, 06:16 PM) *

Thanks Guys
Armand

I respectfully suggest you take some time to familiarize yourself with this site: http://www.911sregistry.com Another group of (generally) great and helpful guys. Ton of knowledge there, too.

- MR
flyer86d
Auto Associates in Canton. Not inexpensive but very, very good.

Charlie
afrusciante
Thanks very much guys. Really appreciate the info and will let you how it goes. I can't wait to fire that baby up either!!
rgalla9146
Fiberglass top ?
Pretty unusual.
theer
Well, since you came here... Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing in Manchester, CT is a 914 expert, but may be able to you get the basic stuff done to get it running (change out gas, oil, brake fluid, etc.)

JOEPROPER
Where in Ct are you?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 16 2018, 05:08 AM) *

Fiberglass top ?
Pretty unusual.

Fiberglass tarp. Not so unusual at Harbor Freight....
rgolia
Armen and I have been friends for near 50 years. When I got my 914 in 74, he and I drove it like a couple of teenagers would. He then got a 260Z and we had some fun. This is his first Porsche, of course I was hoping he would go for a 914, but he cant pass on this opportunity, the price is right. Thanks for helping him out ...I forgot about the 911 Pelican guys. In any case he is in the Westport CT area. Tangerine is the first place I recommended to him as that is where my motor is at the moment (Chris is doing a nice rebuild for me). Thanks again
914-300Hemi
Congrats on your first Porsche and enjoy the adventure. Pelican forum is a real good place for 911.
joea9146
You can also try

Dan Jacobs LLC in Oxford CT
Musante Motorsports South Windsor CT

Pull tank clean it out
New Fuel and Fuel Filters

Fire it up make sure it has oil pressure and look for leaks

Good Luck
afrusciante
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Feb 16 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Where in Ct are you?

Westport.
afrusciante
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Feb 16 2018, 11:59 AM) *

You can also try

Dan Jacobs LLC in Oxford CT
Musante Motorsports South Windsor CT

Pull tank clean it out
New Fuel and Fuel Filters

Fire it up make sure it has oil pressure and look for leaks

Good Luck

Thanks very much guys.
Rleog
QUOTE(theer @ Feb 16 2018, 10:17 AM) *

Well, since you came here... Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing in Manchester, CT is a 914 expert, but may be able to you get the basic stuff done to get it running (change out gas, oil, brake fluid, etc.)

Ed Morrow, Chris Foley's right hand man, is a 911 owner. They're top flight and would be able to handle this.
mepstein
QUOTE(Rleog @ Feb 16 2018, 11:08 PM) *

Ed Morrow, Chris Foley's right hand man, is a 911 owner. They're top flight and would be able to handle this.

agree.gif Tangerine Racing know 911's
r_towle

agree.gif

Good luck!
Hope we get to meet at Hershey, I will be in my 84 cab.
Go trust Chris and Ed!
RickS
Drain the fuel tank. Make sure you check the integrity of the fuel lines, especially in the engine compartment. You will need anew fuel filter. You should also change the brake fluid and make sure the entire brake system is functioning as intended. When you are done with that check the valves for proper clearance. Put in a new battery and start it.

Like Coondog says, the best info source for that year car is Pelican Parts 911 Technical Forum. The Early 911S Registry focuses on ‘65 to ‘73s.
porschetub
Get a full service and get a leakdown test done and get the tech to check valve guides...why was the car parked up???
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 16 2018, 10:38 AM) *

Fiberglass top ?
Pretty unusual.

Doh!
OK, so it is 'tarp'
What is a 'fiberglass tarp' ?
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2018, 05:29 AM) *

Fiberglass top ?
Pretty unusual.

Doh!
OK, so it is 'tarp'

FEMA providesClick to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 17 2018, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 17 2018, 05:29 AM) *

Fiberglass top ?
Pretty unusual.

Doh!
OK, so it is 'tarp'

FEMA providesClick to view attachment

Fiberglass ? No way ! ......the three fellows pictured would die from itching if it was.
afrusciante
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 17 2018, 12:14 AM) *

agree.gif

Good luck!
Hope we get to meet at Hershey, I will be in my 84 cab.
Go trust Chris and Ed!

Hope to have the car down and thanks.
afrusciante
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 17 2018, 12:47 AM) *

Get a full service and get a leakdown test done and get the tech to check valve guides...why was the car parked up???

Owner was getting up in age and wasn't driving as much.

The car was covered in a cheap fiber tarp, the ones you get at home depot. Wasn't covered tight.

Thanks for chiming in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.