Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh no! Lost oil pressure ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
Got stuck in traffic on my way home from work today and didn't notice the oil light until the engine started making horrible noise.

Did the only thing i could think of which was to pull onto the side strip and get on the gas hoping to get oil pressure back.
That actually worked!

Pressure went back up to ~80 under load and ~30 at idle for the rest of the drive home but i'm afraid i might have done some permanent damage.

By the time i noticed the engine noise and the pressure being at zero i was probably already running completely dry.
headbang.gif

Now the real question is, how the heck did that happen?

I checked the oil after i got home and it's still all in there. All 16 quarts of it.
Could there be a blockage somewhere? Stuck piston? Clogged filter?
sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2018, 09:38 PM) *

Got stuck in traffic on my way home from work today and didn't notice the oil light until the engine started making horrible noise.

Did the only thing i could think of which was to pull onto the side strip and get on the gas hoping to get oil pressure back.
That actually worked!

Pressure went back up to ~80 under load and ~30 at idle for the rest of the drive home but i'm afraid i might have done some permanent damage.

By the time i noticed the engine noise and the pressure being at zero i was probably already running completely dry.
headbang.gif

Now the real question is, how the heck did that happen?

I checked the oil after i got home and it's still all in there. All 16 quarts of it.
Could there be a blockage somewhere? Stuck piston? Clogged filter?
sad.gif

That sucks. I would cut open the oil filter and look for gold.
flyer86d
Yes, I agree. Cut the filter open.

What would starve the pressure pump?

Charlie
MartyYeoman
Ouch sad.gif
aharder
That does suck !! Hope there's not any major damage
toolguy
The oil filter canister should have a spring for oil bypass if it gets clogged so that probably isn't it. . The oil filter base assembly has a pressure bypass also. . Scavenge pump and pressure pump are always turning so oil should be returning to the oil tank always . . . the bypass valve on the side of the engine case is the over pressure bypass valve that bleeds off excess pressure right out of the oil pump . . there is another over pressure on the bottom of the sump which is the end of the oil supply galley. . . either of those could bleed off some pressure but i wouldn't expect a total loss that returns when you reved the motor. . that is puzzling. .
I would pull the sump cover off and see if the wire screen is plugged at the oil inlet tube.
MarkV
If after the event you had 30 psi at an idle I wouldn't think you damaged bearings? What was the idle pressure before the event?

SirAndy
QUOTE(MarkV @ Feb 15 2018, 07:25 PM) *
If after the event you had 30 psi at an idle I wouldn't think you damaged bearings? What was the idle pressure before the event?

Same as after, about ~30 at idle and ~80 under load ...
confused24.gif

PS: Also should mention, the noise went away once the oil pressure came back up, but it sure was a loud mechanical noise like a bad bearing or a valve hitting a piston
Chris914n6
3.6L right?
Hydraulic lifters? Hydraulic cam guides? What do you think the noise was?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 15 2018, 07:31 PM) *
3.6L right?

Doh, yes, could it be that the lifters ran out of oil???
idea.gif
Krieger
This may be stupid, but was the engine about to die because of some sort of idling issue? Hence the noise and green light on. Maybe some shaking?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 15 2018, 07:33 PM) *

This may be stupid, but was the engine about to die because of some sort of idling issue? Hence the noise and green light on. Maybe some shaking?

Nope, the engine was running ok through all of it, no shaking. Oil pressure was at dead 0 though ...
popcorn[1].gif
Krieger
From my wondrous experience with my 3.0L I learned a lot. I couldn't get oil out of the case fast enough and the extra 3-4 quarts in the engine sump really slowed the motor a lot. I could feel the loss of power. There also was evidence near the breather on top of the case for this. It doesn't sound like this was you problem and it didn't leak out. My thoughts would be why a full tank of oil wasn't making it to/through the pump, or how am I bleeding ALL the pressure.
Krieger
Hope this is helpful.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 15 2018, 07:56 PM) *

Hope this is helpful.

Well that explains it, i was running everything upside down!
huh.gif
sixnotfour
youve had a good run on that 3.6...time for case through bollt o rings rod bearings bolts, rod bearings, rings, valve job..min,,good catch , 90% sure you have at least one or two thin rod bearing...the way of the 3.6,,If it not leaking ouut the #8 or partingline..
914_teener
laugh.gif

I vote for dissecting the Oil filter.

Car sitting a while Andy?

Sludge into an oil passage and rev cleared the sludge?

SO.O.C914er
Andy if you were running everything upside down I would think the pressure on your head would have been unbearable! av-943.gif
Mueller
What 911 did the motor come out of? If 964 based I thought those are solid lifters.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 15 2018, 08:57 PM) *
What 911 did the motor come out of? If 964 based I thought those are solid lifters.

'95 993, last of the true air cooled ...
smile.gif
r_towle
Park it, finish up the house projects.
SirAndy
Well, i just did some reading and apparently it's pretty common for the lifters to gunk up and collapse.
huh.gif
Krieger
What damage have those motors seen. So what is the solution? Teardown? A couple of oil changes?
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2018, 09:15 PM) *

Well, i just did some reading and apparently it's pretty common for the lifters to gunk up and collapse.
huh.gif

Well, that’s good news; I think. Weird. Anyway, glad it fixed itself. You don’t need a rebuild on top of a remodel. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
You're just guessing until you start examining stuff. The first step is to open up the oil filter and see if there is any metal trapped in it.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 16 2018, 08:04 AM) *
You're just guessing

But that was sort of the point of this thread, i want people to guess so i can cover more possibilities.

There are many people on here that know a lot more about /6 engines than i do ...
shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2018, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 16 2018, 08:04 AM) *
You're just guessing

But that was sort of the point of this thread, i want people to guess so i can cover more possibilities.

There are many people on here that know a lot more about /6 engines than i do ...
shades.gif

See post #2. It can be a lot of things but the oil filter will tell you a lot with very little effort. If you see gold, you will know to pull the engine for a rebuild. No other search needed. If the oil looks clean, then step 2.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2018, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 15 2018, 07:31 PM) *
3.6L right?

Doh, yes, could it be that the lifters ran out of oil???
idea.gif

Lifters are at the end of the supply chain, so it's likely what you heard. Sounds like tapping an unsharpened pencil on a desk.
Doesn't explain the pressure loss though. Since it recovered I'd check for sludge buildup somewhere.
Cutting the filter open is still a good idea. It will answer the bigger questions.
914dave
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 15 2018, 10:31 PM) *

3.6L right?

I agree on the lifters. I would investigate the filter. It might have been the feed hose restricted. Scary stuff!!!
bulitt
No smoke out of the tailpipe means your rings are still good..

JOEPROPER
I don't know if these engines are prone to sludge, but most people change engine oil on collector / hobby cars way before it's due. I don't put that many miles on my car each year, so it doesn't get away from me. Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'd cut the filter open and take a look first because it's the easiest thing to do.
PanelBilly
Maybe send the oil out for analysis. That’s not too expensive
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2018, 02:15 AM) *

huh.gif

Paul Sayeh had a couple collapsed lifters when he first got his 3.6 from LA Dismantlers. And we all know how that turned out... evilgrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
I got one of these to cut open the oil filters on my Cessna 150 but I also use it for my car. I cut it open, slide a strong, slim magnet between the folds of the filter. I then cut out the filter paper, unfold it, take it out in the sun and check for shiny bits. If you want to borrow mine, I'll ship it up to you. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topa...p?clickkey=4975
Elliot Cannon
You can also send a sample to these guys. I know, this is airplane stuff but it's still an air cooled boxer style horizontally opposed engine. I have airplane oil checked every oil change every 25 hours. I know that sounds like over-kill but if my engine has trouble, I can't pull over and stop on the side of the road. av-943.gif http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppa...lickkey=3058045
mb911
Andy my concern is that the lifters don't have much to do with oil pressure as the pressure is measured prior to that point..
IronHillRestorations
Do you have braided stainless oil lines? If so I'd recommend checking all the oil lines. I've seen those things internally collapse closed, and the outside of the hose looked perfect.
wndsrfr
OK, 'nother thought....is there a pinhole leak in your cooler such that when the thermostat kicked the oil pressure dropped out for a bit?
Tdskip

See post #2. It can be a lot of things but the oil filter will tell you a lot with very little effort. If you see gold, you will know to pull the engine for a rebuild. No other search needed. If the oil looks clean, then step 2.

I think this is really good advice. Having had a similar experience there's a risk of chasing anything and everything without getting to ground truth.

Getting a lab to let you know what's in the oil is also a really good idea I think.

My fingers and toes are crossed for you that that the filter is clean.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 17 2018, 10:06 AM) *

Andy my concern is that the lifters don't have much to do with oil pressure as the pressure is measured prior to that point..

I know the two aren't related, there is/was obviously also a blockage somewhere ...
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Feb 17 2018, 05:18 PM) *
Do you have braided stainless oil lines? If so I'd recommend checking all the oil lines. I've seen those things internally collapse closed, and the outside of the hose looked perfect.

The only braided line is the shot hose from the tank to the hardline going to the engine.
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 17 2018, 07:21 PM) *

OK, 'nother thought....is there a pinhole leak in your cooler such that when the thermostat kicked the oil pressure dropped out for a bit?

No leaks anywhere that i could find, the oil is still all in there, the dipstick shows just about middle between the high and low marks.
shades.gif
Dave_Darling
Since we're guessing:

A piece of paper towel got into the tank and wound up across the pickup. It finally dislodged and things are back to normal for now. The loss of pressure caused the hydraulic lifters to hammer the valve tips, caused the piston skirts to scuff the cylinder walls, and put a lot of wear on your bearings.

Of course, if you drained the oil and checked the filter, you could get some idea of what is actually going on, but until then we can keep speculating and telling you it's all doom and gloom....

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 18 2018, 04:45 AM) *
A piece of paper towel got into the tank and wound up across the pickup. It finally dislodged and things are back to normal for now. The loss of pressure caused the hydraulic lifters to hammer the valve tips, caused the piston skirts to scuff the cylinder walls, and put a lot of wear on your bearings.

Funny you should say that, i am missing a shop towel that was tucked away in the engine bay ...
idea.gif
Cracker
When did you change the oil last Sir-Andy? Sorry that happened...whatever the cause. I have an engine shipping Monday from an oil related failure = feel your pain!

Cracker
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 18 2018, 10:20 AM) *
When did you change the oil last Sir-Andy?

Right before McMark moved his shop. The car hasn't been driven much since though.
popcorn[1].gif
Rand
Yeah, it only won the WCR AX. Maybe the flogging followed by non use has stacked up a toll?

I worry about this with mine. It's been sitting lately. They need to be driven regularly and filtered as much.

Question: Can sludge be flushed with chemical additives and such? I know there are a ton of products on the shelves that make claims. But, they must sacrifice good oiling in the process if they are dissolving that crap. Sigh. I hope this doesn't mean a tear down.

There should be like a dialysis machine that you could hook up to and flush every oil passage clean while offline. Heh.

Krieger
Any updates?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 10 2018, 10:55 AM) *
Any updates?

I've been avoiding the car, i haven't touched it since ...
sad.gif
Krieger
Sorry man. I totally get it. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.