Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 of my Porsche cars off to Belgium
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
Porsche cars off to Belgium

Some of you may remember Dax (Danny) in Belgium.
He was looking for a very nice 914 and was having a hard time finding just the right car.

Well he decided that the 911 Carrera Cab was what he wanted and his new Porsche buddy Mathew was looking for a super nice original paint 1976 big bumper car.

They are the new caregivers of these two very fine examples of super clean Porsche machines.

Carrera just turned 70,000 miles on the drive over and the 914 120,000 miles. I had the Carrera for around 15 years and the 914 for around 7 years.

I had no idea how cars where shipped to Europe in cargo boxes. The place that I delivered the cars too ships around 50 cars on a good day in 4 up stacked in 40 x 8 x 8 cargo boxes. Extensive wood structures are built around the cars and they are stacked 2 up x 2 deep plus a motorcycle in the box too.

I got lots of pictures of the cars in their warehouse and it was very impressive. Cars are bought on line and at the Pomona swap meet and sent to Europe. Auction houses also send cars with them.

Bob B
w00t.gif
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=639
485]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
malcolm2
2 x 4 wooden structure. Holy Crap is that safe?
Big Len
2 x 4's great for building closets, but geez.....
sb914
Wow!!! my neighbor is a freighter pilot he goes all over the world,and I've seen some of his videos in ruff seas. Makes a freighter look like a cork in a bathtub. I wonder if they have had some crumble over.
burton73
They block the shit out of them. Look at the picture. In the lower area of the corrugated like sides of the box. The weight on he top makes them loch. Plus there is insurance of the cars. I guess you could ride in a 20box by yourself with no top load but I am sure it will cost a lot more. Each car was I think was $1,300 when you ship 2 of them.

Lots of freight going as well. A 76 Union oil ball sine 8 ft. across Lots of cool stuff going on board. Wheels, suspensions. Car Body’s

Bob B
NeunEinVier
Wow, that's amazing! They've probably been doing it for a long time and have it figured out.
Mike Fitton
I'm going to assume the buyers made the shipping arrangements and you just delivered to the dock, so who gives a S**T!
rgalla9146
Were the Speedsters real ?
Mueller

are they good with checking your paperwork to help prevent stolen cars getting away?
JRust
The main structures are 4x4 not 2x4 as well. They would be pretty stout with all the 4x4 they are using.
malcolm2
We import stuff from all over the world. The Logistics people tell me that if a boat sinks. EVERYONE PAYS.

Let's say there were 100 boxes on a boat. 1 of them had my stuff. All 100 and the boat were lost. My company would owe the boat company 1/100 of the cost of that boat.
I’m curious whether more 914s move from the US to Europe than vice versa.

Asian investors are buying up real estate like crazy where I live. Do classic Porsches cross the Pacific as well?
mepstein
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 16 2018, 09:36 PM) *

Asian investors are buying up real estate like crazy where I live. Do classic Porsches cross the Pacific as well?

Yes. A lot of them.
bretth
I can't image a good way to lift the top car in place that wouldn't damage the car somehow. Forklift would dent floors up. I rented a trailer that size to store my Beetle when I moved and there was barely a foot of space on either side. Sold my Bus to the UK and always wondered how it managed the trip.
burton73
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 16 2018, 04:20 PM) *

are they good with checking your paperwork to help prevent stolen cars getting away?

They Cked the Vin's and they take to Pick Slips to US Customs to have them cleared so the boxes can ship with out a problem.

This is a huge operation moving 10 -40ft cargo boxes a day. They have offices in port cities all over the world.

Wire made to them by buyer, when I cked in they wired the money to my account. In 15 minuets money was in my account and I signed the pinks. Got copies and went home. Clean fast deal as far as payment and delivery for shipping. Got home and called Hagerty and canceled the insurance on those 2 cars and then got on the CA DMV and let them know that my cars where sold to the new buyers.

Bob B
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
burton73
They had a big forklift with a super long set of forks. I think they lift the car from the back drive it in and drop it on the wood structure and then roll the next car in and build the frame around that one.

They know what they are doing. Yes it was super tight in there

Bob B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 16 2018, 06:36 PM) *

Most of the ones in Europe rotted away. We have more 914s than they do, so when they move overseas they are moving from us to them.

--DD
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 16 2018, 09:11 PM) *

Most of the ones in Europe rotted away. We have more 914s than they do, so when they move overseas they are moving from us to them.

--DD

Real (air-cooled) 911s too? Sad to think the indigenous ones are extinct.
cal44
It is amazing how efficient the shippers are. We had a garage find Sunbeam Tiger that went to Australia. Picked up on a flat bed in San Diego, driven to Long Beach and bam, a few weeks later it was in the buyers garage.
rhodyguy
DAX was the most patient buyer we've seen in a long time. Looks like it paid off.
burton73
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 17 2018, 06:20 AM) *

DAX was the most patient buyer we've seen in a long time. Looks like it paid off.

He wanted just the right cars. Super nice guy. When I was in high school Honda had a theme “ You meet the nicest people on a Honda”

I think you meet the nicest people in a Porsche

Bob B
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 16 2018, 09:25 PM) *

Not extinct, but we have more than they do.

--DD
ConeDodger
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 17 2018, 02:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 16 2018, 09:11 PM) *

--DD

They do actual inspections in Europe. When these cars had little value and they didn’t pass the inspection, they got crushed. Now, they are as nostalgic as we are so...
I sold my ‘84 Carrera for what I paid for it and there was no attempt at low balling. Same car now? Probably double what I sold it for then. It went to Germany.
Mueller
I know the /6 I owned for a few weeks went back to Germany , this was the car BradR had for a few months as well.

I helped sell my father-n-laws 911T basket case (all there he just dropped the engine and transmission to fix something and stopped working on it), it too was supposed to head back over the Europe, sold that car for $3K like 8 years ago , what a dumbass I am!
Maltese Falcon
That LeMans Blue SS '69 Camaro though...could be a dead ringer for my HS car; just missing the hood pins and LT-1 script on the fresh-air cowl driving.gif
Larmo63
My yellow car, "Speedy" went back to the Fatherland too. The buyer walked up, said, "he'll take it!"

He didn't even blink. Never got off of the phone. I followed him to the bank and had cash in my hand in 20 minutes.

These cars, even a lowly 1.7 stripper get good money in Europe. We are just the first part of the food chain.
Porschef
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 16 2018, 05:19 PM) *

his new Porsche buddy Mathew was looking for a super nice original paint 1976 big bumper car.

Hmmmm, you don't say.... blink.gif dry.gif

Shadowfax
That’s great news! Dax is a nice guy and I’m glad he found a good car.
dax1969
Hi guys,

Wanted to make a topic on my adventure of buying a nice 914 but Bob is faster than lightning... biggrin.gif

As you noticed MY SEARCH IS OVER but not as initially planned ...

First of all : I had a lot of contact with (mostly) very nice and helpfull people and I would like to thank them all. The ones who offered me their cars, the ones who did ppi's for me, even the ones who just mailed me to say "have patience...."

One given day Bob contacted me and he offered me to keep his eyes open for a decent 914. One email ended up in a few hundred (about porsches, family, business etc) and finally he said that he might sell his own sunflower yellow 1976... It was not in the planned budget but when I received pictures, receipts, videos etc I was hooked.... better to pay more for a decent one.... picked up the phone and we had a nice and long converstation.

Things went crazy when he said " oh yeah, I also have 911 which you can maybe sell in Europe for me"... Both cars were on my bucketlist for years so trust you understand I was in serious doubt..... 911 or 914...911 or 914....

In the meantime I met another Belgian Porsche nut who had already three 911' and he was interested in the 914. I then decided to keep the 911 for myself and get the cars shipped together.

I was very patient but Bob was also very patient... I requested a PPI on both cars and he immediately agreed and even offered to give both cars an oil and filter change while they were in the garage. Short after this I received both reports and a copy of the invoices... a small issue with the 911 which he could keep silent but instead he told the shopowner to get it fixed.... only men with good reputation and nothing to hide do this....

As you can see the cars are now at the shippers warehouse preparing them for shipment... Hope to see the cars in 6 to 8 weeks or so.

I'll post pics !!

Bye for now

Dax

dax1969
I'm going to assume the buyers made the shipping arrangements and you just delivered to the dock, so who gives a S**T!

Yes, I made the shipping arrangements and Bob did not JUST deliver the cars to the dock.... he was KIND enough to do this which saves me a few bucks and I'm sure he gives a S**T....

not a nice reaction btw, my money is in the cars so I do give a sh*t

krgds
Dax

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.