Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: ALT cooling tins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
malcolm2
I am about to install a 70amp alternator from a 1979 VW Bus.

It should bolt right up, but there are some differences. This post is about the cooling tins. I would love to have the CORRECT tin, but there were not very many buses with the 70amp ALT option, so I am gonna try to make what I need.

See there are differences....

Click to view attachment

I just want to buy one of OURS.... ones that fit a 914 type 4 50amp alternator.

I also need the plastic ring. So I need #21 and #23.

Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
I have the 914 alt tin, not sure about the plastic ring, I will have to look. Sending you a PM
euro911
For some reason the rings get lost. If the VW stores don't have them, maybe Mark W can make some if there's a significant amount of folks needing them ?
bdstone914
Went thru my stash of alt parts and only had two rings and many of the tins. The ring has to match the tin. Small ring won't work on the big tin
Krieger
IIRC there is a place in Redding CAcalled Busboys. Maybe they have one?
malcolm2
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 16 2018, 10:23 PM) *

Went thru my stash of alt parts and only had two rings and many of the tins. The ring has to match the tin. Small ring won't work on the big tin

Bruce, do you have this one? How many versions did they make?

Click to view attachment
mtndawg
Does that ring go on the tin for all cars? I can’t find it in my manual.
euro911
Yes, on all type-4 motors
malcolm2
There are a few versions. #23 circled above. Seema like a piece that is certainly not critical. Sure is tuff to install. Almost takes 3 hands.
mtndawg
Can it be bought new. I called bugformance in Sacramento this morning and they don’t sell the one for 914.
euro911
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Feb 24 2018, 11:56 AM) *
There are a few versions. #23 circled above. Seema like a piece that is certainly not critical. Sure is tuff to install. Almost takes 3 hands.
I fail to see the problem, Clark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/GZDDWozq3b4

poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.