Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Carrera GT driver and passenger killed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Does anyone know about this?
It is being discussed on Pelican 911 board.

Paul
URY914
Brad just posted that a customer from his shop has video of it.
Mueller
mark posted it a while ago....sad indeed...

crash post
URY914
Brad posted this...

The person driving the vehicle who was behind him (Ferrari Stradale) just called us and told us what happened from his view. He was first on the scene. He said the GT past him at over 150mph as they eased onto the straigh a way and was traveling close to 165mph when he saw the car swerve. He got his car stopped and was first on the scene. One person was DOA and the other (driver) passed away in the helicopter enroute to the hospital.

What happened with the pit marshall:

Marshall saw the GT coming and gave the Ferrari owner the "GO" Ferrari guy hesitated.. looked back at the track.. passenger was shouting "GO".. then marshall says "STOP" and the Ferrari guy takes off.

Now: If the GT was moving at 165+ and the pit marshall wasnt familiar with cars generating that kind of speed (I'm doubting he was a CA Speedway employee) I could easily see how a split second hesitation on behalf of the driver could really mess things up.

This sucks. The passenger had just jumped into the GT. He was thinking about buying one and wanted a hot lap in it. Several of the FOC members are on their way to his house to "inform" his wife.

B
Joe Bob
10 pics of the crashed car:

http://www.nbc4.tv/slideshow/news/4562709/detail.html
grantsfo
I have a healthy fear of the physics of speeds over 100 mph that has been again reinforced. Looks like the car took a brutal side impact and couldnt absorb much of the force. Seat belts dont work to well in side impacts either. My heart goes out to their families. Sounds like the driver has a young family.
URY914
From 6speed online forum...

Ben was the driver and a member of the 6speed forum.

"I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I witnessed the whole thing.

IT WAS NOT BEN'S FAULT!!! THE ORGANIZER HAD PICKED THE 150MPH ZONE AS THE ENTRANCE TO THE TRACK AND THE F-CAR DRIVER PULLED IN FRONT OF HIM NEAR THE END OF THE STRAGHT. THERE WERE NO CORNER WORKS AND NO FLAGS!!! HE TRIED TO AVOID HIM AND SPUN OUT AND HIT THE WALL AT NEARLY THAT SPEED.

The passenger died instantly on impact. Ben was airlifted to the hospital, but still had a pulse when they took him so PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM AND HIS FAMILY."
URY914
Very very sad. He was a friend and regular poster of the 6speedonline forum. It sounds like they are as close as we are and they lost a member today. Just think if it had happed to one of us.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthr...15&pagenumber=1
URY914
Sorry I didn't see this thread before I posted mine...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=32448
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.