Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line length..... how long?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BuddyV
I need to replace the fuel filter and the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel filter.

(under the gas tank)

Currently, the fuel line from the tank to the filter is kinking, causing limited flow.....

So..... how long do I make the line from the tank to the filter? I notice there is limited space under the tank. Too short, and the line will bend when you lowere the tank..... too long, and the line will bunch up...... again causing a possible bend.

Anyone know a good length?

I am thinking about 10 inches...... but it's just an eyeball guess.

Hoping to finish this up today..... i look forward to your advice.
mihai914
Your car has the access port in the front trunk bulkhead.

Assuming your car is fuel injected, I would install a long piece of fuel line on the tank and pass the other end of the line through the access port.

Then I would lower the tank in place and see how much length is needed so you won't have the issues you are mentioning and be able to change the filter or fuel pump without having to remove the tank.
Steve
I have a 75. It is nice to install longer hoses so you can rest the tank on the fender, but it also makes it easier to pinch the fuel lines when putting the tank back.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 18 2018, 10:44 AM) *

I have a 75. It is nice to install longer hoses so you can rest the tank on the fender, but it also makes it easier to pinch the fuel lines when putting the tank back.

Yeah make them a little longer so if you need to change the filter or pump you can take it out from the front in the little access area in the trunk. Tricky to route them with the tank on.

Good luck and keep us updated.
BuddyV
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 18 2018, 10:44 AM) *

Makes sense to use a longer length...... but please give me an idea of the length. I have no reference point to start from.

The car came with a very short length..... so not sure what "longer" means. Certainly longer than 3 inches that were there.... but I can see that "too long" will also cause issues. Not much room in there, as I look through the access port.

flag.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Can't give you a definitive answer, and not being a smart ass, but it's the length it needs to be. Mock it up with out the tank. Put the line on the steel tubing and coil it up in the bottom where it rest comfortably without kinks then see what extra you need to attach to tank. If your hands are small enough, it can all be done through the round hole under the tank.
JFJ914
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Feb 18 2018, 10:40 AM) *

I need to replace the fuel filter and the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel filter.

(under the gas tank)

Currently, the fuel line from the tank to the filter is kinking, causing limited flow.....

So..... how long do I make the line from the tank to the filter? I notice there is limited space under the tank. Too short, and the line will bend when you lowere the tank..... too long, and the line will bunch up...... again causing a possible bend.

Anyone know a good length?

I am thinking about 10 inches...... but it's just an eyeball guess.

Hoping to finish this up today..... i look forward to your advice.

From the Porsche PET
Fuel hose * C 7 X 12 620 MM (abt 25")
Dredwin
Isn't the 2 feet hose after the fuel filter? Other posts I have read talked about 2 feet but he was asking from the tank to the fuel filter.

I'm following this thread since I need to install a new filter and SS fuel lines and have the same question about fuel line length before and after the tunnel.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Dredwin @ Feb 19 2018, 05:03 PM) *

Isn't the 2 feet hose after the fuel filter? Other posts I have read talked about 2 feet but he was asking from the tank to the fuel filter.

I'm following this thread since I need to install a new filter and SS fuel lines and have the same question about fuel line length before and after the tunnel.

No, the fuel filter to pump hose is:

From the Porsche PET
Fuel hose * C 11 X 17.5 470 MM (abt 19")

You do know that we're talking about a late car w/ pump up front?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.