Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Someone on here said its a 69-70 bus motor.

What is the coil thing?

Is that an oil temp or pres sensor? Is it stock?
Isn't the stock oil pressure switch on the top of the block?

Thanks
Allan
Thermostat bellows...

Oil temp sender...
cametal
Other piece, oil temp sender.
SirAndy
QUOTE (yarin @ Jun 2 2005, 07:33 PM)
What is the coil thing?
Is that an oil temp or pres sensor? Is it stock?
Isn't the stock oil pressure switch on the top of the block?

the top "coil thing" is the thermostat that controls your cooling flaps. it's stock.
that wire hanging from it need to be routed around the plastic wheel and then goes straight up and hooks into the arm for the cooling flaps on top of the engine.

the "thing" on the underside of the engine towards the front is the oil-temp sender.
it's stock on some cars, but not all had it. it is supposed to be hooked up to a green/black wire that comes out of the main harness right under the battery tray ...

yes, the stock oil pressure switch is on top of the engine.
wink.gif Andy
yarin
Hmm... cooling flaps? Do I need them?

The car has no heat (headers). I'm confused. ohmy.gif
Allan
Yes you need them. Here is why. biggrin.gif
MattR
Basically the thermostat is normally compressed. When the engine gets hot it "relaxes" and opens up the flap to the oil cooler. Without it warmup takes forever. These engines like to be cool, but not too cold. It will all make sense if you take a look at the flaps in the fan housing.

The flaps have nothing to do with headers, only the oil cooling.
joeav8tor
the cable coming off of the thermostat goes around the plactic wheel and goes up through the engine tin. the cable keeps the flap on that side in the closed position...at the same time the flap over the oil cooler is open...when the thermostat heats up andexpands it opens the flap on the side with the cable and closes the flap over the oil cooler...directing more air through the cooler. flag.gif
Joe
9144guy
im not sure if im going to run them, we have 3 cars at work that dont run them. 2 are daily drivers /race car. it dosent get below 30's here. building my motor this weekend.
Bleyseng
Its not about how freakin cold it is, its about heating up the engine as fast as possible to operating temp. That is also why water cooled engines have a thermostat too. Slow warmups mean premature wear as a cold engine wears the most.
9144guy
duh? it will be fine, that engine warms very quick
SirAndy
QUOTE (yarin @ Jun 2 2005, 07:44 PM)
Hmm... cooling flaps? Do I need them?
The car has no heat (headers). I'm confused.

helps getting the engine to operating temps faster. has *nothing* to do with heat for the pass. comp/exhaust/headers ...

either hook it all up right or unhook the wire to have the engine on full cooling all the time. whatever you do, *don't* take off the plastic wheel (the bolt goes through into the case = major oil leak) and *don't* remove the flaps from the fan housing (NO air to the oil cooler) ...

the flaps provide both, cooling air for the oil cooler and cooling air that goes over the cylinders and heads ...

smash.gif Andy
MarkV
I live in AZ where it was 95 degrees today. Before I reinstalled the thermostat it would take a hour before the car was warmed up. Now it will warm up in 10 minutes.

Zee Germans designed all air cooled engines with a thermostat for a reason.
yarin
Ok.. I got it now. That pic is from my old motor, sitting on the garage floor right now.

My "race" engine doesn't have any such device. I will keep this info in mind when rebuilding my motor.

Thanks!
joeav8tor
the germans are excellent engineers, they built the system with a thermostat for a reason...will it run without it? people have said they dont use the system for various reasons....it seems like a good idea to me for the above reasons stated.
flag.gif
Joe
solex
unless your ambient temperature is 212F then leave the thermostat in and connect it to the cooling flaps, your engine will last much longer with it...
yarin
I agree with the saying... the engineers put it there for a reason.

The motor in the car does't have this installed, but the other motor does. How do I tell if these flaps are under the cooling tin?

I noticed a port on the impeller housing is capped. Pic

What is that about? Part of the old heating system? Or flapper system?
SirAndy
QUOTE (yarin @ Jun 3 2005, 10:03 AM)
Part of the old heating system?

yupp, no problem with that blocked on an engine with headers ...

if someone had removed the actual cooling flaps, you would know after about 15 minutes of running your engine as it would get red hot and explode on you ...

no flaps = *no* cooling air to the oil-cooler !!!

wink.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
NOT a 69-70 bus motor. Bus didn't get a T4 until 1972, never had a temp sender, and didn't come with a '73+ 914 motor mount. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.