Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these stress cracks common? Approach to fixing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
My donor car has signs of a similar tear forming.

Just weld it back up? Is there a fix?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Odd place to have a stress crack, but perhaps they were using it to brace putting in or taking out the Engine Lid torsion spring bars?

Probable okay to clean & weld up, but also check around that area for other damage.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
Happens a lot in that area since its getting pulled from the side and the metal only gets thinner as it corrodes. You can see how the metal is doubled up in front of the tear so all the flex goes to that spot. Cut to clean metal, weld in a patch and grind it smooth.
Tdskip
Simple enough - thank you gentlemen
bbrock
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 19 2018, 02:49 PM) *

Probable okay to clean & weld up, but also check around that area for other damage.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

agree.gif I've been doing a lot of repair on my car in this area and have noticed a possible mode of failure related to the trunk hings that would be hard to detect. The middle layer of the sail panel is welded to the outside of the inner wheel well right behind where the trunk hing pivot attaches on the inside. This would provide a lot of strength and rigidity for the trunk pivot attachment and is also a common place to rust out undected because it is buried in a deep recess and covered with seam sealer. Once that fails, then you could expect more flexing of the inner wheel well wall behind the trunk pivot and those stresses could ripple out to other areas. So patch what you see there, but thoroughly poke around with a screw driver to make sure everything related to the hinge is solid and attached.

Here's a pic of my repair that is still in progress. If you look closely, you can see a couple welds on the sail panel flange that marke the ends of a section that was rotted away and replaced. Under that is a patch for the metal that sits behind where the trunk pivot needs to go.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
I think that was caused by a failed hinge console.
Continued use of the lid caused the torsion loaded jagged remnants of the console to tear and bend and pivot on the damaged area.
gothspeed
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *

I think that was caused by a failed hinge console.
Continued use of the lid caused the torsion loaded jagged remnants of the console to tear and bend and pivot on the damaged area.

agree.gif I don't see how that area would get stressed any other way.
Tdskip
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.