Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spare Tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I bought a Vredestein Space Master 165-15 several years ago at the G&R Swapmeet. It is designated for trmperory use only.
Question is: Can this spare be stowed deflated ? Why/What is the air valve about ? Never seen one like this before
Front yard mechanic
Is that one of those German shred masters? av-943.gif
Morrie
What you have here is a collapsible spare tire from a 911. They are designed to be stowed deflated and are sort of an acordian sidewall. The 911s came with an air pump to inflate the tire. Use extreme caution if you must use this tire, it is very likely dry rotted from the inside out and these are prone to rapid failure if driven more than the bare minimum.
Coondog
Still a work in progress, but this is what I have so far.
Click to view attachment

This is what it should look like when I am done.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’ve been told by a couple knowledgeable Porsche gurus that the 914 spare was designed to assist in front crash protection and should be kept inflated. I’m not sure I will be able to accomplish this with a GT cooler but it’s something I think about.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Morrie @ Feb 19 2018, 03:28 PM) *

What you have here is a collapsible spare tire from a 911. They are designed to be stowed deflated and are sort of an acordian sidewall. The 911s came with an air pump to inflate the tire. Use extreme caution if you must use this tire, it is very likely dry rotted from the inside out and these are prone to rapid failure if driven more than the bare minimum.

Thanks for the heads up. I did have to use it today, but only the bare minimum.
Do the 996 collapsable spare suffer the same ?

I agree on that front crash protection; seen two people walk away from separate front end collisions
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2018, 04:50 PM) *

I’ve been told by a couple knowledgeable Porsche gurus that the 914 spare was designed to assist in front crash protection and should be kept inflated.

You are correct Mark. IIRC Jeff Bowlsby may have a tech document on his website that covers that, along with other crash testing & design.

Also on the 914/4's you carried them fully/over inflated to max allowable pressure (i.e..: the sidewall rated max. & more than on your 914's tire pressure tag on the gas tank), in order to power/pressurize the air pressure window washer bottle, & still have usable pressure later, when you need to use the spare on the 914.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 19 2018, 04:08 PM) *

I bought a Vredestein Space Master 165-15 several years ago at the G&R Swapmeet. It is designated for trmperory use only.
Question is: Can this spare be stowed deflated ? Why/What is the air valve about ? Never seen one like this before

Jim,

I wouldn't use that on anything as a spare, but you may be able to sell it to a 911 type who wants one for display & show purposes.

If you want a space saver deflatable, then what some have done is to get a later Boxster or 996/997 deflated spare wheel with a new/fresh deflatable/collapsable tire on it (AFAIK they still sell them), & still mount horizontally in the front trunk, so you'll at least get partial frontal crash protection from it - as Mark E pointed out.

IMHO the space savers in fact don't save all that much space, & then you have to use some of the meger savings up to carry the air pump anyway! blink.gif

PS - IIRC that is a 2-way valve to work with the Porsche air pump to both inflate & deflate/collapse the tire. You can probably find the valve part in the respective 911 PET Parts Manual for the MYs which used them.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 19 2018, 03:08 PM) *

That doesn't look safe, and inflated this isn't any smaller than a normal spare ...
unsure.gif

PS: I carry a full size spare in the rear trunk.
drem914
Jim, with my 5-Lug conversion I had to jettison the original 4-lug spare and went with the Boxster spare instead. It still gives me a fully inflated spare and the crash assist. I don't use the windshield fluid tank hook up.
914Sixer
I have a 996 16" spare. I keep it inflated and it is the same size as the 914 spare.
porschetub
QUOTE(Morrie @ Feb 20 2018, 12:28 PM) *

Correct ,however they don't dry rot from the inside it all happens on the outside where they fold up.
I have a 964 alloy one which saves weight and clears my calipers,a good pump to get is the 944 one ,plenty around and cheaper than the 911 factory supplied one to buy used,can be handy for a slow leaking tyre also.
Crash protection....well I'am sure its designed to sit flat inflated however even one mounted on the bulkhead would be better than nothing,VW beetles had them mounted near vertical then the super beetle had then sitting flat,I have personally seen proof this provides protection in a front impact with that car.
DRPHIL914
jim
I bought a Boxster spare to put in rather than the space saver, that ive had for a few years, will sit more flat, leaving plenty of space for your travel tool kits and luggage etc.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 20 2018, 11:07 AM) *

jim
I bought a Boxster spare to put in rather than the space saver, that ive had for a few years, will sit more flat, leaving plenty of space for your travel tool kits and luggage etc.

Thats what I want; should have pulled it from the Boxster before I sold it. I like the way the jack fit into the spare too.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.