Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning the targa and sail panel vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
What is best for cleaning the targa pad and sail panel vinyl? I'm referring to the black vinyl on the top of the targa bar and the sides of the targa top support.

I tried water and a rag and it looks good wet, but when it dries much of the dirt is still there.

Soap and water? What kind of soap (specific type; i.e. dish soap, etc.)
Simple green?
Window cleaner?
Armorall?
Should I use a rag or paper towels or something else?

Anything I should avoid?
Larmo63
Try a very mild brush (soft) with Dawn dish detergent and warm water. I use "Back to Black" on rubber and vinyl. It seems to work pretty well.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Feb 19 2018, 05:29 PM) *

What is best for cleaning the targa pad and sail panel vinyl? I'm referring to the black vinyl on the top of the targa bar and the sides of the targa top support.

I tried water and a rag and it looks good wet, but when it dries much of the dirt is still there.

Soap and water? What kind of soap (specific type; i.e. dish soap, etc.)
Simple green?
Window cleaner?
Armorall?
Should I use a rag or paper towels or something else?

Anything I should avoid?

Yes - avoid Amorall! It leaves an oily residue.

Use the dish soap & water with brush method mentioned above - but let it dry 1st to make sure you get all of the residue off - & you may need to rinse with distilled water in order to avoid hard water calcium redepositing.

Then use Vinylex to coat & protect it once you've brought it back. You can also use Vinylex on the interior vinyl leatherette surfaces, & Leatherex on the leather bits (70-73 steering wheels & shifter boots, some 914-6s etc. with real leather upholstery). Both are made by the same company, & most FLAPS carry it.

Dull plastic surfaces can also be polished back to their original shine with Mother's Plastic Polish FYI.

You may not need the Back to Black after you clean it, if the vinyl hasn't sun-bleached.

Stay away from any paper towels or rags with high lint content, cuz it'll be a royal PITA to get the bits off. A good lint free cotton shirt type material, or cotton towels, or some microfiber (new only) will work well.

Also - don't attempt any sort of detailing & rejuvenation work in the type of winds that we're having in SoCal today, as it'll just blow crap back onto the surfaces while you're working - even if inside (unless hermetically sealed inside) - cuz it stirs up so much fine particulates that get inside a house or garage - even past the HVAC filters in the house!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
StratPlayer
When the roof is clean and dry I would use a product called forever black. A couple of coats and you'll love the result.
914 RZ-1
I'll try the Dawn and brush, thanks.

Is this the vinylex product:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/vinylex-...2490?brand=true

Is this the back to Black:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/back-to-...3212?brand=true

They make a spray too.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Feb 19 2018, 08:31 PM) *

When the roof is clean and dry I would use a product called forever black. A couple of coats and you'll love the result.

agree.gif used it for years. Will last for a year or more. Works on bumper tops too.
Larmo63
I use Back to Black out of a bottle. You don't want it getting everywhere. It is a bit greasy when dry, so use sparingly.

Specracer
I use 303 on all vinyl and rubber. Gives a "hydrated" look, with out a full on greasy shine. To me its the perfect look.

No affiliation to this source, and its available just about anywhere

https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html
Michael N
QUOTE(Specracer @ Feb 20 2018, 07:14 AM) *

I use 303 on all vinyl and rubber. Gives a "hydrated" look, with out a full on greasy shine. To me its the perfect look.

No affiliation to this source, and its available just about anywhere

https://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

agree.gif 303 is the best that I have used. I pour it in a Dixie cup and use a small foam brush to apply it. I let in soak in to the bumper tops and on my targa bar. UV protectant and lasts a long time. Good for all the rubber seals on the car.
Nogoodwithusernames
Did a search and this is the closest to what I am looking for. My sail vinyl is no longer black having been bleached by the sun. By the name I would assume that the "Back to Black" would help with this. Has anyone tried it on faded sail panels before and has it helped restore the vinyl?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.