Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Warning Light Switch Wiring - 2 Wires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sbartmess
Does anyone know where both of the 2 brown wires attach to on my 1971 914-6?According to the 914 Technical Manual for 1971, Part II, Item No. 32 is the warning switch on the master cylinder. My replacement ATE cylinder has one (1) spade terminal on it, and yet the diagram shows both a hot lead from the switch contact to the instrument cluster, and then of course a ground lead to a ground connection (No. 83). Mine we’re both disconnected and terminals removed. So in replacing the master cylinder I’m going to attempt to hook them up correctly. The question is, where does the ground lead attach to and how?

Does anyone have any pictures of how it should look and what kind of connection the ground makes to the switch and how/where?
toolguy
914-6 has 2 wires. . one is solid brown and it is direct ground. . other wire
is brown with a white tracer. . That means it is 'switched ground' and goes to the
the pressure bias switch which when operated provides the ground in this case. . .

For your car, that brown / white is a tandem wire with the em brake handle switch wire. .
either the M/C or the Em Brake will operate the same panel brake warning light.
With your single pole pressure switch, simple leave the solid brown wire loose. . PS The Brn/ Wh wire should have a rubber insulator in the terminal to prevent false grounds.l
sbartmess
QUOTE(toolguy @ Feb 19 2018, 09:21 PM) *

914-6 has 2 wires. . one is solid brown and it is direct ground. . other wire
is brown with a white tracer. . That means it is 'switched ground' and goes to the
the pressure bias switch which when operated provides the ground in this case. . .

For your car, that brown / white is a tandem wire with the em brake handle switch wire. .
either the M/C or the Em Brake will operate the same panel brake warning light.
With your single pole pressure switch, simple leave the solid brown wire loose. . PS The Brn/ Wh wire should have a rubber insulator in the terminal to prevent false grounds.l

Thank you for the insight. Did the old M/C switches have 2 poles then? The problem I have is the wires we’re left exposed underneath for so long that the white stripe is totally gone, so now I guess I’ll have to get out my meter to figure out which is the right one to connect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.