Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheeling reconditioning, tips for gluing rubber cover over metal tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Steering wheeling reconditioning, tips for gluing rubber cover over metal tube?

The top portion of my steering wheel is loose, in that I can grab the rubber coating and twist it.

Wheel will be recovered using leather cover kit, but I'd like to fix the rubber portion first.

djway
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 19 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Steering wheeling reconditioning, tips for gluing rubber cover over metal tube?

The top portion of my steering wheel is loose, in that I can grab the rubber coating and twist it.

Wheel will be recovered using leather cover kit, but I'd like to fix the rubber portion first.

Weldwood contact cement, original which you can find in some states and many upholstery shops
mepstein
Whatever you can inject between the rubber and the metal core. I would try a small needle and syringe filled with super glue.
Valy
What I did was to cut open the rubber along the internal radius.
The use contact cement to glue the rubber to the metal core.
I tried injecting glue but it doesn't work for 2 reasons:
1. I couldn't inject it everywhere I needed. The glue is thick and hard to inject and will block the passage so it will not flow in the cavity.
2. The contact cement needs air to cure.

After you're done gluing, look at the wheel thickness. If the rubber is loose you'll probably notice that the padding is thinner on the top. Flue some extra material in the area. I just used a couple of vinyl layers.

Good luck.
Mueller
Thanks, I think I will try the contact glue method.
Mueller
I used Gorilla Glue, a little on the ugly side however once it gets a wrap it'll be fine. Not going to twist anymore.

To hold it together while drying I wrapped it up with electrical tape.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Mike - here’s what you need. Leather covered wheel for mid to late years. The leather is in good shape with a little patina. I would try to restitch the top portion. OEM leather is surperior to any recover. If you can’t make it work, use your agla piece. I’ll ship on monday. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.