Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Topic Change to Ford F250 Rust Repair and Paint.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Series9
The car was flat bedded to Series 9 with a "rod knock".

Turned out to be a flywheel knock.

Make sure things are torqued up and it doesn't hurt to use some thread locker. Those 5 bolts cost this engine its bottom end.

Here are the pictures.
SirAndy
Outsch ...
sad.gif
Series9
And:

Series9
And:

Series9
And:

Series9

But wait, there's more. This engine is reported to have 6000 miles on it.....

Series9
And:

Series9
Nose bearing saddle from the other end. The dowel pin was sitting there at a 45* angle.

JeffBowlsby
Hey Joe...VIN of the LE please.
ChrisFoley
There's no reason to use thread locker on a Type 4 flywheel at all.
When new bolts and a new lock plate are used, along with correct torque of 80 lb-ft, they will not ever come loose on their own.
Series9
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 20 2018, 03:57 PM) *

When new bolts and a new lock plate are used, along with correct torque of 80 lb-ft, they will not ever come loose on their own.

Well, there's no way to truly know on this one. I didn't build it. I didn't torque it.

The new parts will get some thread locker for good measure. Cheap insurance.
Series9
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 20 2018, 03:44 PM) *

Hey Joe...VIN of the LE please.

I'm not going to do that without the owner's permission.
worn
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 20 2018, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 20 2018, 03:57 PM) *

Well, there's no way to truly know on this one. I didn't build it. I didn't torque it.

The new parts will get some thread locker for good measure. Cheap insurance.

So is the case a gonner?
craig downs
Had the same thing happen to me and my engine had just a couple thousand on it. Ever time I took my foot off the pedal there was a loud rumble. When I found out what it was 3 of the 5 flywheel bolts were sheared and the flywheel and end of the crank looked worse than yours. I reused the flywheel bolts I had before and looking at some other ones I had after the problem I noticed they were stretched, a costly mistake. I had the end of the crank and the flywheel resurfaced and it's ok now. Also got some new hardened bolts and will never reuse used bolts again.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Series9
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 20 2018, 06:04 PM) *

So is the case a gonner?

Yes. It's scrap.
EdwardBlume
So when is someone going to post a link and recommendation as to where to buy new bolts?
johnhora
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 20 2018, 12:57 PM) *

agree.gif with Chris...

This is one of those items it just pays to use new....cheap insurance.
TheCabinetmaker
I agree. Loctite is unnecessary when flywheel is properly installed. I hope I never encounter Loctite on one I'm removing
mepstein
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 21 2018, 09:30 AM) *

So when is someone going to post a link and recommendation as to where to buy new bolts?

They are about $8/bolt at the Porsche dealer. Not cheap but probably a wash since you don't pay shipping if you live close by.
veltror
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Feb 21 2018, 03:30 PM) *

Flywheel bolts
Series9

Based upon some of the replies, I have to ask:

Do you think, in the entire history of the Type IV engine, that no properly installed flywheel has EVER been saved from loosening by a thread locker applied during assembly?

I'm experienced enough to never say never.

Honestly guys, it's just some Loctite on some flywheel bolts. I don't care if you use it or not. I do, and most flywheels I remove have remnants of some as well.
McMark
Ouch. Loctite probably wouldn't save an improperly installed flywheel, in my opinion. So to me it's not really insurance at all. Tack welding the bolts to the flywheel would also keep them from backing out.... OR people can just make sure they do the job right. Clean the end of the crank and clean the recess in the flywheel. Torque the bolts with a torque wrench and a flywheel lock. Use a new locking plate every time and new bolts if in doubt.

And I'd cuss a fit if I fought all day to remove flywheel bolts that were Loctite'd in.

Just seems like a whole lotta band-aid to me. But like you said, I don't care if you use it or not.
Series9

I give. headbang.gif Now I remember the reason I only log on here every six months.

I'm going to close S9 and start fixing Fords......
Mueller
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 22 2018, 12:59 PM) *

I give. headbang.gif Now I remember the reason I only log on here every six months.

I'm going to close S9 and start fixing Fords......

I see nothing wrong with Blue Loctite myself.

The Class fit of newer bolts might not be the same as original, or the internal thread Class fit could have been compromised.

I find it funny that people are willing to spend $ on other "upgrades" or "improvements" that are not factory to their car, yet get bent out of shape over a simple bolt and adding an "upgrade' to the threads smile.gif
VegasRacer
I am with you Joe. If the red Loctite is good enough for the terrorist in Moab, it is good enough for me.
Series9
You guys want to argue about something as trivial as Loctite on a bolt? Okay. Now you get Ford content.

As promised, rust repair on a (my) F250....

A good 8' bed goes for $3000 in this area. I was able to go to the local U Pull It with a generator and sawzall and cut off what I needed for $160.
Series9
And...
Series9
And....

Series9
And:

Series9
And:

Series9
I was very happy to discover that my 2006 is made from .050". I expected .040". Of course, the .050" is much harder for form by hand....
Series9
I admit to not having the sheet metal skills to create a complicated compound curve. However, I can create three pieces that do the same thing. It's hard to see in the picture, but they all have individual simple curves that are welded together. And so you know, this is IMG 914 on my iPhone. smile.gif
mb911
Looks great .. Ps love loctite as an extra precaution.. The big thing I do know from my NC3 training is torque changes based off of what is applied to the threads..

Keep up the good work..
Series9
Good ole' Rustoleum oil-based paint.

I shoot it out of an old siphon feed Sharpe. Works perfectly.

It's now ready for the painter....

jd74914
Looking good Joe! I did almost that very same repair to an F150 bed a few years ago (mine included some more frame work at the same time though). Have you already replaced the rear spring perches? It seems like they all fail at some point...
Andyrew
Solid work!
theer
I love it! Retaliation by Ford.

Sounds as if the consensus is: Loctite is optional (but perfectly fine).. new bolts are a must.

Peace, out.
mbseto
QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 4 2018, 06:43 PM) *

... Okay. Now you get Ford content....

Good lord. What's happening to this community??
Series9
QUOTE(mbseto @ Mar 6 2018, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Mar 4 2018, 06:43 PM) *

... Okay. Now you get Ford content....

Good lord. What's happening to this community??

EXACTLY! Finally....

You win a cookie.
Series9
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 6 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Looking good Joe! I did almost that very same repair to an F150 bed a few years ago (mine included some more frame work at the same time though). Have you already replaced the rear spring perches? It seems like they all fail at some point...

This one is a 250. Totally different animal. The frame is fine.
Series9
Don’t underestimate the damage that can be done by salty flip flops...
Rand
Joe, I like your style. I want to work for you. But don't shoot yourself in the foot.
rhodyguy
Note the pilot bearing is at the wrong depth. Was there a felt washer in there when you took it apart?
Series9
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 7 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Joe, I like your style. I want to work for you. But don't shoot yourself in the foot.

It's just an off-topic thread. Many of the fabrication techniques are perfectly applicable to 914s.

I would be surprised to think this thread could cost me a customer, but I'll never live long enough to see it all.
Series9
While I was at Sebring, the painter worked his magic.

Series9
And:

Series9
Last:

McMark
Welding everything together? I just crimp an overlapping flange and then loctite body panels together.

av-943.gif
poke.gif

Relax, I'm kidding..... tongue.gif
Series9
Ta da. Half way there.

76-914
I like that color combo! sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.