Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal44
I'm looking into buying wheels for a '74. I'm finding the pickins' slim or non existent for wheels with the proper back spacing at 5.5x15".
The car currently has the gaudy un-godly ugly star wheels from the factory.

I tried to find new plain steel slotted wheels but that failed. That is what I want.

Who sells wheels with correct width and backspace in a 15? Bone stock car.

Thanks
Freezin 914
QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:39 PM) *

I'm looking into buying wheels for a '74. I'm finding the pickins' slim or non existent for wheels with the proper back spacing at 5.5x15".

I tried to find new plain steel slotted wheels but that failed. That is what I want.

Thanks

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I have a few 15” lemmers VW wheels stock steel wheels that would have plain hub caps on them, also have a set of empi eight spokes in Black with a machined lip.
mepstein
QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 21 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Thanks

2.0 Fuchs.
gothspeed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2018, 04:05 PM) *

QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 21 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Thanks

2.0 Fuchs.

agree.gif 2.0 fuchs look the best on a narrow body IMO smile.gif
cal44
I failed you guys in my description. All of these wheels are over 42 years old.
I can't somehow think new or newer wheels would be a safer solution.

Yes, the Fuchs are sweet but expensive. Thanks for the input.
914Sixer
Cip1.com has a large selection. Look in wheels pull down.
Coondog
QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 21 2018, 05:43 PM) *

All of these wheels are over 42 years old.

I bet 42 year old rims are still stronger then the rims made today.
Craigslist has Fuchs from 600 to 800 a set. Don’t be cheap, you live in Encinitas !!
tsvo
Try Sierra Madre for stock steel wheels
thelogo
[quote name='Coondog' date='Feb 21 2018, 05:58 PM' post='2581840']
[quote name='cal44' post='2581835' date='Feb 21 2018, 05:43 PM']
All of these wheels are over 42 years old.
[/quote]

I bet 42 year old rims are still stronger then the rims made today.
Craigslist has Fuchs from 600 to 800 a set.

Don’t be cheap

agree.gif what this guy said

Buy some nice fuchs and they will last
You wil get your money's worth
Buy something not polished and your good

)
Mueller
I've seen a few cracked factory 2.0 Fuchs that show no signs of curbage or abuse. They are not infallible.

You can get brand new Minilites and Panasports for the 914.

http://www.minilitewheels.us/

BENBRO02
The Fuchs are appreciating so consider them an investment and then the purchase price doesn't seem so bad. biggrin.gif
bernbomb914
I have a set of ATS wheels that are almost new with the proper space for 4 hole lugs. black and alumn. not sure what they are worth.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you refinish the styled steel wheels in bright porsche silver and add trim rings, black lug nut covers and black center cap, they look great no reason to purchase cheap after market wheels

the common ones available with the CORRECT offset aftermarket are the fuchs replica and the so called gas burner wheels, all of the rest currently available in repoduction have the vw beetle outset I call it, and you cannot fit the widest tire.
If you have a really nice car, then factory pedrini fuchs or mahle
QUOTE(cal44 @ Feb 21 2018, 04:39 PM) *

Thanks
Coondog
VW Bettle off sit !!!
I have those fake FUCHs and am runnng 205-55-15. It’s not the rim but the fender keeping me from going wider.
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
Four lug Fuchs, Pedrini, or Mahle wheels are good looking.

The steel star wheels? Not so much. Don't waste your time.
abes914
http://greggearhead.com/store.html

He sells replica mini lite wheels. He is also member of the world.

I am happy with my steel wheels.
cal44
Thanks boys. All good opinions.
Beach914
In the process of acquiring these 15 x 6 American Eagle Replicas after trying them on my car last night. I'll try to do the RSR finish on them. 195/60/15 tires are old but usable for now. Great price from a guy on Craigslist. Funny they were on a 944 parts car and looked very odd.

My choice if I had four lug set up would be 2.0 Fuchs or I have always like Empi 8 Spokes with brushed alu rims and satin black spokes.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
109.00 each
rhodyguy
Cip1? Free shipping too. Those burner repops look better in person. I think the backspacing is or about identical to the 4 lug Fuch wheels.
GeorgeRud
I was looking at the five lug repop for my 914-6 as I do like the look of the Mahle wheels but not their insane prices these days (for old, cast wheels). I think any of these wheels are fine for street use and you should choose the ones you like.
1adam12
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 21 2018, 05:50 PM) *

Cip1.com has a large selection. Look in wheels pull down.

agree.gif

Those Super Speed replicas would look sick on a stock 914 IMO. I forgot the brand of the originals but I just saw them on a bug at Pomona and they caught my attention.
raynekat
Always liked these and you don't see them that much.
American Racing wheels.

ps there's a set for sale on Ebay right now (not affiliated)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.