Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning '72-'74 seats and interior "brickweave" vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scallyk9
Ok, folks. I've got two '74 914s and thought I'd just take a moment to remove a seat entirely for cleaning but none of my old tricks seem to be doing the job. I thought I'd ask for help because I have 3 more seats and 4 panels to go.

My first thought was diluted Dawn dishwashing liquid and to work it into the tiny depressions between the "bricks" with a tooth brush. They do look better but it can't get the dirt, which looks light brown like soil, out of the holes. I've tried various brushes with soft and harder bristles. I've also tried Fantastik with Scrubbing Bubbles but the little scrubbing bubbles don't seem to lift the dirt. Does anyone have a clever (or not clever) solution?
RickS
I would be very hesitant to use household cleaning products on a car interior. I use this product with excellent results. https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-10956-...mp;linkCode=ktl
And this https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-155900-Carpe...mp;linkCode=ktl
scallyk9
I have the Griot's Interior Cleaner and use it on the Cayenne, but I was looking for something a little stronger here. The Mother's Carpet & Upholstery Brush might help however. The depressions are a couple of mm deep but small. Too big for a Q-tip and there, oh, so many of them. Thanks.
mepstein
"awesome" spray cleaner from the dollar store. It really is awesome. smile.gif
dcheek
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Feb 22 2018, 03:13 AM) *

I have the Griot's Interior Cleaner and use it on the Cayenne, but I was looking for something a little stronger here. The Mother's Carpet & Upholstery Brush might help however. The depressions are a couple of mm deep but small. Too big for a Q-tip and there, oh, so many of them. Thanks.

I've always had great results using Simple Green. Depending on how aggressive you want to clean, you can dilute with water accordingly. Note - spray on and let sit for 30 seconds then brush and wipe clean. I also sponge with clean water afterwards.

Dave
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2018, 04:27 AM) *

agree.gif

I use this stuff at the shop. It is really good and for you cheep guys it goes so far as you need to dilute the hell out of it. I bought a tan interior from Garold and it looked stained but the Awesome cleaned it all up. Great stuff.

Plus you can use this to clean all kinds of things.

Bob B
gothspeed
Wet the surface with warm soap and water or cleaner of your choice, brush scrub then wipe off and before it dries completely use compressed air and a towel to catch what flies off. Use the lowest pressure setting that will do the trick. Wear safety glasses and cover anything you want to keep clean ar15.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
On a hot summer day, we remove the seats, remove the cushion and get a hose with a fine sprayer attachment connected. Spray down the seat lightly with the hose, then spray with formula 409 or vinyl upholstery cleaner, massage in with a brush including the fiberglass seat bucket, rinse with the hose, blow with compressed air and dry with a towel. let thoroughly dry in the sun, then rub with Vinylex

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Feb 21 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Ok, folks. I've got two '74 914s and thought I'd just take a moment to remove a seat entirely for cleaning but none of my old tricks seem to be doing the job. I thought I'd ask for help because I have 3 more seats and 4 panels to go.

My first thought was diluted Dawn dishwashing liquid and to work it into the tiny depressions between the "bricks" with a tooth brush. They do look better but it can't get the dirt, which looks light brown like soil, out of the holes. I've tried various brushes with soft and harder bristles. I've also tried Fantastik with Scrubbing Bubbles but the little scrubbing bubbles don't seem to lift the dirt. Does anyone have a clever (or not clever) solution?
bbrock
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 22 2018, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2018, 04:27 AM) *

agree.gif

I use this stuff at the shop. It is really good and for you cheep guys it goes so far as you need to dilute the hell out of it. I bought a tan interior from Garold and it looked stained but the Awesome cleaned it all up. Great stuff.

Plus you can use this to clean all kinds of things.

Bob B

Dangit! mad.gif The minute I saw this thread, I knew it would lead to me buying something else. Looks like I'm going to be out another dollar. beer.gif
windforfun
Believe it or not, WD-40.
mepstein
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 22 2018, 07:11 PM) *

Believe it or not, WD-40.

It might clean it but then it smells like WD-40.
windforfun
The smell goes away quite quickly. You can always hang some garlic from the rear view mirror. Smoking a cigar works really well too.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.