Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Talking about oil coolers.....has anyone....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
All of the talking about front mounting of oil coolers has me thinking....

Has anyone removed the stock oil cooler and used the mounting holes to hold a plate with an fittings? You could then ues the stock location as a take off to 2 hoses that can be then run to the front of the car. Am I crazy????

I have a lathe and mill so fabrication is no problem....thanks, herb

thinking about an-10 or an-12 for sizes.....
JWest
4 or 6?
cha914
you mean kinda like this:

IPB Image

http://www.kerryhunterenterprise.com/new_page_5.htm

I will probably do that next time I drop the engine...hopefully not for a while...

Tony
URY914
Yep, I removed the stock cooler on my -4 and added the plate with the fittings. My cooler is mounted in my rear spoiler.

Paul
mr914
I used it on my 1.8 a number of years ago. Just make sure that you also use a thermostat to help bring the oil up to temperature.
crash914
Yea, thats the ticket...the plate adaptor like the kerry hunter....at $39.00 it would be cheaper to just buy it...this is for a -4..thanks.

If you use this adaptor//t-stat etc... how much larger is the primary oil cooler? I would expect that a fan would be a "MUST"????
thanks, herb flag.gif
StratPlayer
I was wonedering about the oil cooler thermostat, is that a necessaity for a street car. Should a thermostat be used if you are running a front mounted oil cooler?
URY914
I don't run a t-stat in my car but I'm in Florida so the oil is pretty warm just sitting in the the garage. But if I was in a cold climate and out on the street I would install the stat. A slug of cold oil will blow out a cooler.

Paul
L8Apex
Anyone with good experiences with this adapter? I like it, and wonder how it compares with the sandwich types. If I get some good responses soon, I will probably order it.
StratPlayer
Ok,, if one was to get a thermostat, where would be the best place to mount it, my cooler is up front.
Joe Bob
Thermostats are a good idea. Early morning or cold starts will send a big slug of cold oil to an aftermarket cooler and can bust a line.....the thermostat will open and thinner, warmer oil will be in the cooler.

Engines also warm up faster with a thermostat.
URY914
I wouldn't mount in the front- mount it in the back at the engine. That way the cold oil won't be in your line all the way to the front before it returns to the engine.

I didn't use the Kerry Hunter plate- I used the typical VW type 1 for $12.95.

Paul
Brad Roberts
I use the Kerry Hunter..until I duped it that is...

Terrence.. you end up with NO fan aided cooling. So.. you cant sit around in traffic. The last two cars I built used this.... but I should have bought the VW one that Paul is talking about.. I thought they would fit..but never tried it.

The only drawback with the KH block.. the fittings are -8. Too small in my opinion (I adapt up from there to -12) It is also a very tight fit behind the fan shroud. I built 2 lines 8 inches long to "get away" from the engine..then ran -8 to -12 adapters.

You also have to change out 2 of the 3 studs that hold the factory oil cooler on..

Here is a shot of how it works on the car.

B
StratPlayer
Oil Cooler thermostat asking $119, expensive little unit
MJHanna
I’ve been running Kerry’s unit for years. Run an Earls front cooler only, no fan, track car = no problems :mueba:But I’m bias cuz my car is the “customer car” on Kerry’s web site bootyshake.gif
L8Apex
bah, no street driving for this car anymore. So I guess it works pretty good. I'm probably going to pick one up then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.