Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Root Werks six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Root_Werks
I drove Skline's car home, the big 1300 mile trip in a 914-4 2.0 FI........And that was enough for me. I pushed the car into the garage and sold the engine, FI, Tires, wheels and a few other 4cyl related items. biggrin.gif Here is a couple of shots of the progress of Scott's old car. There has been a lot done to it you will not see. I just snapped some shots last night to give a quick update on this project. So please excuse the mess around the car. I have also been working on A LOT of customer cars lately. wink.gif
Root_Werks
That first shot was about a week ago. I was preping the front trunk for paint. I am no paint or body guy for sure, but it is turning out nice and shinny. So cool for that. smile.gif
Root_Werks
You can see I didn't pull the tank out, but I did pull out the headlight motors and wiring harnes, ect. It is hard to get back up around the fresh air box. But I think with a little more carefull masking and maybe a touch up spray can, I can get the last bit of green covered up. I used a single stage laquer. Porsche Stone Gray.
Root_Werks
You can see all the green still way deep under the cowel/windshield. funny thing is, you don't see it at all just standing looking into the trunk. The flash on my camera had to catch it. Oh well. I don't really want to pull all that crap out of there.

Since a 914 is modular, I was able to paint the cowel and windshield frame now as well.
Kerrys914
Sweet..

Dan "Psycho SIX Man" ROOT wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif

I am trying to get one done and you have done 2 or 3?

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:43 AM)
Sweet..

Dan "Psycho SIX Man" ROOT wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif screwy.gif

I am trying to get one done and you have done 2 or 3?

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

3...... in the last year. biggrin.gif

Here is a shot of the back, again I was able to paint the rear section, I welded up the holes for the emblems and check out my mod to the CAMP rear shock kit. I welded all that in place along with an extra support. No it will not pull against the little drain gutter thingy. I have done tons of welding on this 914. Luckily, it has been pretty rust free.
Root_Werks
You can see above I painted the inside of the roll bar area, but not the engine bay yet. It still needs to be preped and finished for a six engine. Here is a shot of some pieces painted a few weeks back seperate from the rest of the car. Painted inside and out, all of them.
Root_Werks
Messix(Troy) stopped by a couple of times while I was painting some of these parts. We both thought they turned out pretty good. BTW Troy, thanks for the help on the drivers door! smash.gif It was a little tweeked, but we fixed it. biggrin.gif smash.gif

These are stacked, but all 3 lids are here, painted top and bottom.
rhodyguy
you're an animal!! pray.gif biggrin.gif . trunks look great. let me know when i need to take it south. wink.gif

k
brant
wow Dan,

really really nice
I think you absolutely win the award for quickest worker...
(well Joe, RS maybe ties you and you both win)

brant
skline
That looks great Dan, just a quick note, you had mentioned in an email about house paint on the car, just wanted to clarify, I took that car to bare metal, what you thought was house paint was actually 901 grey Polyprimer. That was the stuff Aaron and i got higher than a kite shooting in the garage that time. It went on really thick for some reason. As thick as it was, I can see how you thought it was house paint. Its used to fill sand scratches and stuff. It was about a year old and I think there is a shelf life on it. I just went and picked up another gallon of it yesterday in white for the Chalon. The guy told me I need to use it within 6 months. That is a nice color and it looks like it is turning out very nice.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 3 2005, 06:58 AM)
you're an animal!! pray.gif biggrin.gif . trunks look great. let me know when i need to take it south. wink.gif

k

I am still waiting on steel flares from AA through GPR. That will probably be another couple of weeks. But that is all that is left to paint on the car. Just the fenders, door jams and engine bay. So the paint and body are close now.

This next week I plan on getting the engine bay converted for the six transplant, wiring done ect.

I have always wanted to see a steel flared gray 914 like this. I am pretty excited to see it come together. boldblue.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 3 2005, 07:03 AM)
That looks great Dan, just a quick note, you had mentioned in an email about house paint on the car, just wanted to clarify, I took that car to bare metal, what you thought was house paint was actually 901 grey Polyprimer. That was the stuff Aaron and i got higher than a kite shooting in the garage that time. It went on really thick for some reason. As thick as it was, I can see how you thought it was house paint. Its used to fill sand scratches and stuff. It was about a year old and I think there is a shelf life on it. I just went and picked up another gallon of it yesterday in white for the Chalon. The guy told me I need to use it within 6 months. That is a nice color and it looks like it is turning out very nice.

Hey Scott, that primer kicks ass! All I have really had to do is sand it down and paint! boldblue.gif

the house paint thing - idea.gif I could be mistaken, but it was just on the headlight covers, brows and some drips into the buckets. So maybe it wasn't house paint? But it sure peeled off like house paint. there was green paint under it too. That was the only place I found it, so like I cared.

rhodyguy
so flares, a little paint, and just slap in the 6 chairfall.gif . what's the holdup?

k
skline
Well keep up the progress pics, its really looking good. I cant wait to see it all done with a 6 in it.
aircooledboy
pray.gif

We need a "green w/ envy" smilie guy. laugh.gif
Root_Werks
How about a painting smiley. biggrin.gif
Mueller
I used a single stage laquer

wow, i didn't know that stuff was still made and sold...it's been unavailable for so long in our area.....
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 3 2005, 09:36 AM)
I used a single stage laquer

wow, i didn't know that stuff was still made and sold...it's been unavailable for so long in our area.....

Yep, still around..... for now. But I think the days of painting a car in your garage will be numbered. There has been a cloud of stone gray over my house a couple of times this past month. I don't think the neighbors have caught on though. biggrin.gif

Either way, I hate painting, it is messy work, gets over everything and I am only so good at it. I can't do the 110% jobs, more like 80%. But it's a driver, so 80% perfect is good enough. smile.gif
TravisNeff
Dan, great work and a cool color! I guess I am biased for the grey cars. Tell us what your using for paint tools, guns compressor and whatnot.
merrill
You are awesome Dan! I have a friend in your area that just got a 74' that is Emerald green. He works on fire extinguisher systems on tug boats. Do you have a brother that works on the docks?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (merrill @ Jun 3 2005, 10:52 AM)
You are awesome Dan! I have a friend in your area that just got a 74' that is Emerald green. He works on fire extinguisher systems on tug boats. Do you have a brother that works on the docks?

Hmm, I don't, but I love to hang out at the docks a lot. My friends and I do a lot of boating, rain or shine. smile.gif

pray.gif Thanks everyone for the compliments. With each conversion, things get more standardized and each install cleaner. I will see what I can do this weekend and post some more updates. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif
i love porsche
wow..that is ridiculous progress..here i am for 2 years with my car..and am just starting the main body work
Root_Werks
Well, things around my place got rather busy the last month. I didn't actually even get to touch the 914 for about 4 weeks. Buuuuuut, this weekend I put in some 10 hours on the little guy. biggrin.gif I went from having no engine to a running 2.7S engine. I plan on painting the fender this week. No flares anymore. I can't seem to get a hold of them so screw it. I have until August 27th if Michelle and I want to take this one to Whistler this year.
Root_Werks
Just running web 40's right now. New linkage from PMO (they rock). Also, I am running the "new" oil tank from GPR that is aluminum welded sheets. VERY light, holds about 1 1/2 qts more oil than the stock tank. VERY good fit and quality. Dave from GPR said he is still working out the manufacturing detials. So they are not avaible yet. But I got one! happy11.gif Fired the engine and heat cycled it just today. Sounds great, very even cranking, oil fed chain tensioners ect. Fired right off and even clean. Engine has been sitting in a 77 911 for 4-5 years not run. I pulled plugs and turned it over until I got oil pressure, then plugged everything in. Wouldn't start, not even a fart or pop. Cranked on it, checked things, no spark. Wife comes out and says I probably got some wires hooked up wrong. rolleyes.gif I tell her I am busy, check some wires (Dam, I hate it when she is right!) and VROOM! Fired right off. unsure.gif . Since I am not flaring it, I am leaving it 4 lug for now. I grabbed some wheels/tires from Ian on the club here. So when I get those, I can drive it! driving.gif
TravisNeff
we need an updated full car pic!
pete-stevers
frickin awsome Dan smilie_pokal.gif
yu-d-man smilie_pokal.gif
that looks great, should be a good trip to whistler! If it doesn't rain, dry.gif
we had our first few days of sun here seems like months of rain, hows the coffee capital been??
got some good news....i got the 3.0 fired up the other day....gotta get all my parts and peices, looks like flywheel, cooler and shroud,
call me before you come up...we would like to drive with you
steve
Trekkor
Fantastic, Dan smilie_pokal.gif

So, you ( I ) can run the 40's with a 2.7? idea.gif
Tell us about the jet/choke combo, please.

KT
olav
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Jul 18 2005, 11:43 AM)
frickin awsome Dan smilie_pokal.gif
yu-d-man smilie_pokal.gif
that looks great, should be a good trip to whistler! If it doesn't rain, dry.gif
we had our first few days of sun here seems like months of rain, hows the coffee capital been??
got some good news....i got the 3.0 fired up the other day....gotta get all my parts and peices, looks like flywheel, cooler and shroud,
call me before you come up...we would like to drive with you
steve

Where abouts in bc are you living?
pete-stevers
I live about 60 mins east of false creek biggrin.gif
that is not in or around vancouver
A town called Mission...
wrpspddrvr
You rock, man. Amazing shit. It took me a week to geting around to replacing my alternator!

Cole monkeydance.gif
rhodyguy
four lugger. dry.gif you stink. biggrin.gif

k
Root_Werks
This car would have been done weeks ago. But things have just been crazy lately. I will see if I can get a full picture of the car up. It looks the same as the ones on the first page. Everything is painted really nice, except the fenders, which will hopefully be painted this week. biggrin.gif
goose2
Looking forward to seeing this car done Dan....I like the color a lot wub.gif Are you planning on keeping this one?
Root_Werks
QUOTE (goose2 @ Jul 19 2005, 08:14 AM)
Looking forward to seeing this car done Dan....I like the color a lot wub.gif Are you planning on keeping this one?

Probably not. sad.gif It is a loooong story. But around 15 months ago, my wife and I got scammed on a house deal that cost us buckoo bucks. We are getting down to the last of the fallout and if I sell this one, it could just about get us out clean. It's been really hard to let any of the sixes go. But yours and the flared orange one have gone to great homes, so that makes me feel good. This one will most likely find it's way down to CAMP as well. With each one, I get a little more standardized with the conversion and things turn out a little better. So this will be one of my best, certainly one of the quickest due to the 2.7S engine. Scott Kline(PO) did a nice job prepping the body for paint as well as fixing up the hell hole area and such. So whoever gets this one will have a nice 914-6. I probably won't do all the finish work to it either. It will help to keep the cost down a little and someone can do what they want to it. By that I mean:

I won't put side mirrors on it. Holes properly welded closed, buyer puts on what they want.

I will paint the vinyl areas so someone can leave them painted or put vinyl on them.

Upper and lower Dr. Evil re-covered dashes. Not installed though.

Stuff like that. Craig may do some detialing like pop in a carpet or something. It will be driven down to his place, so should be a driver easy. driving.gif
Root_Werks
Painted it last night, all done! Just got to put things back together now.
Root_Werks
Turned out better than I thought it would.
Root_Werks
I used a rather slow reducer so the paint continued to flow for a few hours. Made the metalic even out really nice, most of the orange peel is gone too. I love the color! I bought a bunch of SS hardware to put the doors and lids back on with. The SS bolt heads should look cool against the Porsche Stone Grey. boldblue.gif
CptTripps
That car is sick looking...EXACTLY what I'd want to do on my next one.

Are you going to sell it through the Camp, or on your own? I'm interested!
Root_Werks
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jul 20 2005, 06:21 AM)
That car is sick looking...EXACTLY what I'd want to do on my next one.

Are you going to sell it through the Camp, or on your own? I'm interested!

It would go through CAMP of course. biggrin.gif That is if I sell it. One problem I am having is the car is just turning out friggen awesome. With fresh paint, this one will be really hard to let go. If I keep it, it will take us another 8 months to bail out of the bad house deal. That would make the whole thing last just over 2 years to pay it off. Which sucks. But maybe another 8 months won't kill me. idea.gif It has just been sucking every friggen penny from us every month for 15 months now. Sucks. headbang.gif
CptTripps
Sell it, bail yourself out, and do another one...

wink.gif

Problem solved...damn I'm good!
TravisNeff
Lookin great Dan, your work is very impressive! I would hate to let that go to, but if it bails you out of your house problem quicker - go for it. Nothing like being a prisoner of your own house.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 19 2005, 05:20 AM)
four lugger. dry.gif you stink. biggrin.gif

k

This coment alone made me do this yesterday. flipa.gif laugh.gif
Root_Werks
Bad angles, the garage is just packed with crap. rolleyes.gif

After yesterday, I am really re-thinking letting this one go. It is just turning out so nice and these things are such a PITA to build. I duno, I'll just keep putting it together and see what happens. biggrin.gif
CptTripps
I WISH I had parts lying around that I could go to 5-lugs like that.

Man...that'd be nice.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jul 21 2005, 09:50 AM)
I WISH I had parts lying around that I could go to 5-lugs like that.

Man...that'd be nice.

Duuuuuude, you have no idea how much fuching fuchs I have right now! laugh.gif I have been selling them off just to get some more space. Now that I have put these on the 914, I have one less set of 5. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
I put some lids and doors on last night. Using the SS bolts looks just awesome! Still a ton more to do, but sure is turning out pretty! wub.gif
Root_Werks
I hide nothing when I build these things. Rather, I tell it like I see it. Notice the little "bumped" area under the rear tailight. I didn't know about it until I removed the bumper after I got the car home. So it didn't affect the bumper mounting or even tailight sealing. I didn't touch it since when you put the bumper and tailight back in, you don't even know it's there. I still have to put the bumpers/trim and lights on. Then I can move to the inside. mueba.gif
rhodyguy
no center caps. you still stink!! wink.gif what did you get? new windows for the house? KSP'S SPEEDY DELIVERY will reserve your usual wed for transport to camp914. glad to note the proper 914world.com static cling, vinyl sticker, in the rear window. that has to make the car worth atleast an addtional $6.

k
Root_Werks
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jul 22 2005, 06:20 AM)
no center caps. you still stink!! wink.gif what did you get? new windows for the house? KSP'S SPEEDY DELIVERY will reserve your usual wed for transport to camp914. glad to note the proper 914world.com static cling, vinyl sticker, in the rear window. that has to make the car worth atleast an addtional $6.

k

laugh.gif Knock it off man! Next you'll be saying "What, no flares?" and I will be tearing back into the car again! happy11.gif

I will have to work things out with Craig, but yeah, I would expect the crowd to see this 914 make it's way to CAMP pretty soon. I want to include two tops. one painted and one regular so a buyer can decide to keep the roll bar painted with painted top, or put vinyl on with regular top. I will also put the dashes in, re-do the gauge face, do up the door panels, re-seal the rear window ect. It will be a done car. I have floor mats for it, but no carpet, so I figure Craig might pop one of those in. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.