Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injectors 1&4 not firing on a 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smpiers
I have been trouble shooting getting my '76 2.0 running. I posted yesterday on where I was at (see '76 2.0 won't run). Quick background, car started and idled great on Sunday. Bucked, acted like it was out of gas. Took it for a test ride and it died on me. So, last night I replaced the fuel filter and drained the tank and put in fresh gas. No start. So, per Kjell's article, I check the trigger points. Working like they should. I pulled injectors 1&2, clean them out with carb cleaner, blast them with air. #2 fires gas, #1 doesn't. Ground issue, right? I pull the grounds off of the engine, clean them up and put back onto what I would consider a better grounding spot on the engine block (attached to the block, not on top of cooling tin). I was positive this would fix the issue. It didn't. If I switch the harness on the injectors the no go issue follows the harness. I have a rebuilt harness from Bowlsby so I am hoping it isn't a harness issue. Injectors check out for proper resistence. Check the ground again? If a harness issue, how to isolate?

Any direction would be appreciated. I am making progress though and really learning the D-jet system! And thank you to those who replied to my previous post. Invaluable resource.

Regards,
Shane
john rogers
Are the trigger points new? If not they are probably the cause of injector misfires. After having a 74 with D-jet for over 7 years I replace them first if there is any sign of rough running or strange behavior. You can pull the injector connector on the distributor and check voltages at the distributor pins as you crank the engine since one side fires and then the other side and the voltages will show on a meter.
skline
I agree with John, check your trigger points. I just went through this with another car last winter. The trigger points are what was causing the problem on that car. Same problem.
smpiers
Thanks for the responses. I will pull the trigger points and replace.
I will update how this works on Monday.
john rogers
There are a couple of other things to try. You can pull all the injectors and put in a small container and crank the engine or maually move the throttle and that will let you see if they are actually firing. Then swap injectors on each side and try again and that will tell you if the injector has gotten stuck. Make sure each injector has the little plastic cap that the small seal fits over or it will leak air in/out of the seal. You can also measure the voltage at each injector plug to see if they are getting voltage. Good luck
Britain Smith
I was searching through old threads for an injector wiring diagram and came across this? I am having the exact same issue as of this morning. I pulled the trigger points and they checked out fine. The issue definitely follows the harness. I checked the grounds, they are clean. I did find that I can short the middle pin of the trigger points plug to one on the side and I get the injectors to pulse and if I short to the other side I get nothing. I sounds like I have a break in my wiring somewhere, anyone have any other suggestions?

-Britain
redshift
I fixed 'most likely the same thing' when I reterminated my wiring.

=\

M
Britain Smith
What do you mean you reterminated the wiring? Meaning that you ran new wires and using the old connectors?

-Britain
redshift
Hope I am not interrupted by Mr. Power Outage this time... smile.gif

No Sir! I cut the ends off most of all my electrical, cut as much as 2-3 inches off, looking for clean wire, and then replaced the ends, after a good damned cleaning.

Just this morning, a van was approaching from the left, with his right blinker on, and I was turning right, and he never turned, so I needed 40 mph now... and I spun 1st, and second.. wink.gif

The relay box is also a biyotch.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.