Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats this rectangle hole for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Can someone tell me what goes in/through the rectangle you see here in the engine tin??

Click to view attachment
McMark
Intake air pre-heater plumbing passed through that spot. Only present on early cars (70-71)
914werke
agree.gif in conjunction with the oil bath air filter
Spoke
If the hole isn't blocked off it should be to stop the cooling air from escaping to the engine compartment instead of going past the cylinders.
McMark
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 25 2018, 02:57 PM) *

If the hole isn't blocked off it should be to stop the cooling air from escaping to the engine compartment instead of going past the cylinders.

This hole doesn't enter the cooling air section of the tin. It just passes from the bottom to the top. So, plugging it will stop hot air from travelling up from underneath, but I'd hardly be concerned with that amount of air. Leaving it open shouldn't affect anything.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 25 2018, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 25 2018, 02:57 PM) *

This hole doesn't enter the cooling air section of the tin. It just passes from the bottom to the top. So, plugging it will stop hot air from travelling up from underneath, but I'd hardly be concerned with that amount of air. Leaving it open shouldn't affect anything.

Considering it’s right above the exhaust system, I would close it off so you don’t suck hot air from below. The rubber seal around the engine tin is not for looks, it has an engineered purpose.
mgphoto
This preheater is also on MY '72 goes away with the paper air cleaner MY '73.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.