Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hi Everyone.

I am gathering the last few pieces of engine tin for my car and I've got a question.

I have a 1975 that started life as a 2.0. Before I got the car, the engine went it's separate way.

I now have a 1910 (big bore 1800) that I believe is a 73 based on the serial number of the casing.

That being said, I've noticed that tin for certain areas of the engine are based on production years.

Is this due to changes on the car body/chassis itself or the type IV motor? i.e., should I be looking for these last few pieces of tin for the engine year or the body year?

Mike
Spoke
I think it has more to do with what size engine 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0. May have some differences between the years.
mihai914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 25 2018, 04:31 PM) *

I think it has more to do with what size engine 1.7/1.8 vs 2.0. May have some differences between the years.

Yes kind of, the two main pieces that cover the motor will vary depending on the spark plug location of the heads. 1.7 & 1.8 stock heads use the same covers and 2.0 heads are different.

All other pieces are interchangeable with only very small variations like extra holes.
mepstein
Larger changes betweeen engine size with smaller changes due to year. My suggestion is once you get the tin, fit it to your engine before you powdercoat.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Feb 25 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Hi Everyone.

I am gathering the last few pieces of engine tin for my car and I've got a question.

I have a 1975 that started life as a 2.0. Before I got the car, the engine went it's separate way.

I now have a 1910 (big bore 1800) that I believe is a 73 based on the serial number of the casing.

That being said, I've noticed that tin for certain areas of the engine are based on production years.

Is this due to changes on the car body/chassis itself or the type IV motor? i.e., should I be looking for these last few pieces of tin for the engine year or the body year?

Mike

Both.
1.7, 1.8 , 2.0 + year of car and where the car was going to be sold.
California (and ?) had emissions equipment that resulted in detail changes to the
tin.
Keep it simple, look for '73-'74 2.0 tin
mmichalik
Thanks everyone, for the quick responses.

I'll look for 73 - 74 tin then. I only have 3 pieces left, all underside stuff.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.