Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio - Vintage or Retro?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I've been dreaming of a time in the future when my stock through and through car might actually be on the road again and thinking about radios. I'll definitely want one with Bluetooth capabilities for streaming and hands free phone. It's nice that we have interesting choices with either a period correct Blaupunkt or Becker with DIN inputs for adding a Bluetooth module, or modern Bluetooth ready radios with retro Blaupunkt or Becker styling. I've been following ebay prices for Blaupunkt Frankfurt stereos and it looks like the cost of vintage vs. retro options are about the same. The biggest plus for retro seems to be a digital display to show what's playing etc which is nice, and probably a better tuner. Advantage of vintage, of course, is that it's the real deal. I thought it might be fun to see what other's experiences have been or what they would prefer.

Oh, I know someone will say it, so yes, a nice six behind the firewall sounds cool, but it's not a radio. poke.gif
914Sixer
I am a vintage guy but that it double edged. Vintage restoration radios can be very expensive. I have a Becker AM FM SW LW radio that I have $500 in restoration. In some cases the bezel and dial face can cost as much as the basic radio before repairs. Do not forget about the VW Sapphire radios as they were the low end dealer installation. Finding the stereo ones can be tricky.
mbseto
Planning on a vintage radio, but you can bet there will be an mp3 player hidden in there... filled with 60s/70s/80s tunes.
Mueller
If I can find a decent priced period correct AM/FM I'd be happy. It doesn't have to work since I'll just set something up to use my phone. I just like the look of the old radios.
Coondog

I phone + JBL Bluetooth speaker or others, works great and can be moved from car to car or patio, garage, beach, camping......you get the ideal.
mb911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 26 2018, 03:28 AM) *

I phone + JBL Bluetooth speaker or others, works great and can be moved from car to car or patio, garage, beach, camping......you get the ideal.

agree.gif

Probably the best option.. Will probably do the same..
clapeza
I just replaced the period-incorrect radio in my '72 911 with a RetroSound Hermosa, and I'm very pleased with its appearance and performance. You can select the faceplate and knobs to get the desired look, and they sell "screen protectors" that look like period dials, to complete to look. The FM reception is better than the old 80s-era cassette model, and it automatically pairs with my phone to stream Bluetooth.

I was planning on doing a faceless radio delete on my 914, and running a Bluetooth receiver and an amp, but I'm leaning towards putting a RetroSound in it as well.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 26 2018, 08:27 AM) *

agree.gif

Probably the best option.. Will probably do the same..

I might leave in a vintage looking radio but have the modern stuff tucked under the dash. Bluetooth makes everything so easy to connect.
worn

My white 914 is too noisy for conversation let alone tunes - but I have the Sapphire anyway. I just checked and apparently headphones are legal in most states. Seems like you would actually hear something.
Spoke
I use my phone with Siriusxm and earbuds. No need for the radio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.