Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Recent Experience with Chinese Glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
My 2nd windshield literally disintegrated before my eyes as it lay upon a blanket. WTF.gif I thought I had left a piece of tape on the windshield but watched in horror as the "line" grew into a Spider Web. As you can see in the 1st pic, I had just offered up the glass to check the spacing from edges. I removed the suction cups and rolled it onto the blanket. Within 5 minutes it began to crack. CPOS. I'm looking into having "the real deal" shipped to me. If anyone else is in need, LMK and we can split shipping costs.
I wrote Richard to express my disbelief and below is his response. Read his own assessment of the "Chinese" windshield then draw your own conclusion. Fool me once, shame on you.......................... shades.gif

Correct. I'm not pleased with the Chinese windshield. I didn't expect much in the way of customer service. I just wanted to let you know the quality issue I had with one of the products you represent. I watched the windshield crack and then watched that crack grow into a spider web as it lay on my hood upon a movers blanket. I didn't expect the 1st one would should up to the impact of hitting the concrete. Nor did I suspect the 2nd would disintegrate while laying upon a blanket as I watched.
What is your price for a Sekurit shipped to 92596? Kent Williams

-----Original Message-----
To: Kent Williams <greenrv6a@verizon.net>
Sent: Tue, Feb 27, 2018 6:33 am
Subject: Windshield Part#FW235

Hey Kent:
I got a voice mail message late yesterday I believe the windshield cracked . there is not much I can do when this happens as you know. If it happened at the place or with them handling they will replace obviously. I have very little control especially when it is out of state. I assume it was checked over. It happens sometimes. We unfortunately have some of that on any given day. Let me know I can get another one for you same price. The mark up is small on these windshields.

Richard

ProSource Glass international
Toll Free 877-345-2800 US & Canada
978-975-5400
978-790-4657 Cell

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I deal with tempers glass all the time in the railing systems. It is all of US manufacture, you will get tempered glass panels that to literally explode into a million pieces due to tension and an imperfection in the glass. it is not common but can happen. I can understand your frustration, but in handling thin laminated glass it is very easy to damage. any contact with metal can start what you see. This is one of the reasons the glass companies have the margins they do. I have heard the Chinese version is thinner, so it may be more prone to this.
Sorry to see this.
Our local glass shop will install them for $285 including glass and for that I don't touch them.

Tom_T
Hey Kent,

I think you're far better off popping for the Sigla 914 windshields, over the chinese stuff.
JMHO.

Bad Luck! dry.gif
Tom
///////
bulitt
Kent- As you know the first one (Prosource, Charlotte, NC) had an edge chip in it directly from the distributor. I pulled a sticker off and a piece of glass came with it. Found it after a 2 hr drive home chair.gif It was transported in the back seat, wrapped in a moving blanket.

I would suggest everyone do a thorough inspection prior to taking receipt of these windshields!
rhodyguy
blink.gif huh.gif gulp.
76-914
Well, thx for that explanation Mark. Makes sense. If there were a local that installed them for < $300 I'd be all over it.
Tom, got any leads on the Sigla?
914Sixer
Check Porsche Classic, I think they were selling new windshields.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
besides the higher quality of the original Porsche windshields, by ordering one from your local dealer, you do not have to pay the expensive truck freight NOR worry about the windshield arriving broken as you can inspect it before paying porsche. We just ordered ten from them, and all are perfect, we incurred NO shipping and they were only about 600 or so retail
gothspeed
The thinner windshields are certainly weaker and even more prone to defects. but shouldn't the windshield be stored upright ?

n2j2ryan
My local Porsche Classic is now selling windshields. I will check on their origin. Regardless, don't have to worry about shipping.

cal44
The last Sigla I had installed in a 911 was on the small side, leaving a gap between the gasket and body opening..
So, as the others mentioned........inspect all of them and bring your measuring tape with your old windshield measurements written down on a note pad.
Seems like the buying game is becoming a crap shoot with some suppliers

mepstein
QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Feb 27 2018, 04:41 PM) *

My local Porsche Classic is now selling windshields. I will check on their origin. Regardless, don't have to worry about shipping.

Yes. I can get them from my local dealership for $475. No shipping charge.
bulitt
Maybe Bruce has a used one?
76-914
Richard of ProSource Glass emailed me this morning and has offered to sell me a Sekirut at a very soothing price. Richard didn't make the windshield but he did make good on my problem. smilie_pokal.gif Thx Richard. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 27 2018, 10:15 AM) *

The thinner windshields are certainly weaker and even more prone to defects. but shouldn't the windshield be stored upright ?

I don't think 5 minutes qualifies as "stored". The previous windshield had been stored upright but later it was laid exactly the same on a thinner blanket for 3 weeks. No problem until it slid of the hood. headbang.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 27 2018, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 27 2018, 10:15 AM) *

I don't think 5 minutes qualifies as "stored". The previous windshield had been stored upright but later it was laid exactly the same on a thinner blanket for 3 weeks. No problem until it slid of the hood. headbang.gif

Was the previous windshield thin and weak like this one? Stress/stress risers cause cracks glass.

However I'm glad you are getting a new windshield at a good price smile.gif
Cairo94507
Now that's a stand-up guy. Thanks Richard for supporting our community.
mepstein
I picked up a brand new windshield for $50, stuffed it in the back of my wife's vw bug and drove 80 miles. It's still sitting in my office waiting on a car. I think it was just bad luck on the one that broke. We move glass around our shop all the time and rarely have an issue.
porschetub
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 28 2018, 06:13 AM) *

Kent- As you know the first one (Prosource, Charlotte, NC) had an edge chip in it directly from the distributor. I pulled a sticker off and a piece of glass came with it. Found it after a 2 hr drive home chair.gif It was transported in the back seat, wrapped in a moving blanket.

I would suggest everyone do a thorough inspection prior to taking receipt of these windshields!

agree.gif had two crack out on removal (cut rubber seal) both had corner chips,rest I have pulled without the chips have been fine on various older Golfs and BMW's.
sb914
Bummer dude ---Kent - are you doing the install? That's the one thing I didn't want to fuch with.i know it didn't happen while installing ,but There's a guy that does a lot of 914s.I have his cell if you need it.
76-914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 28 2018, 05:16 AM) *

Bummer dude ---Kent - are you doing the install? That's the one thing I didn't want to fuch with.i know it didn't happen while installing ,but There's a guy that does a lot of 914s.I have his cell if you need it.

This will be the 4th windshield I've replaced on a 914 and never a problem. I believe it was an isolated instance after reading the reply's. My wife and I were laughing about the windshield mishaps that happened 15 yr's ago with a Karmann Ghia I restored. I had 3 windshields delivered by UPS and all 3 were broken. headbang.gif When the 3rd one arrived and the UPS driver rolled open the trailer, the box was standing on end and clearly marked on all 4 sides with a LARGE marks-a-lot "DO NOT STAND ON END". chair.gif
The more important issue here, as Mike pointed out, is that Richard (ProSource Glass) handled this in a most professional manner. Thx again Richard. beerchug.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 28 2018, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 28 2018, 06:13 AM) *

agree.gif had two crack out on removal (cut rubber seal) both had corner chips,rest I have pulled without the chips have been fine on various older Golfs and BMW's.

Yep, edge chips always get glass. Between the internal stresses and any added external tension as you'd see when removing a windshield, they're bound to crack. I work with laser optics and use a lot of super thick glass windows (we're talking 1"+ thickness) which are precision ground, polished, and crazy expensive. As soon as an edge gets chipped they're done-I literally expect them to crack off in a test or two.

Nice to heat Prosource responded so quickly and professionally! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.