Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
I start my car in the morning it idles fine doesn't hesitate and after I go on the road the 914 starts cutting in and out like it's losing power? Any suggestions...
DRPHIL914
so many things it could be, maybe fuel starvation, blocked fuel filter or kinked supply line under the tank, low fuel pressure or the pump is going.
914_teener
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 27 2018, 09:15 AM) *

I start my car in the morning it idles fine doesn't hesitate and after I go on the road the 914 starts cutting in and out like it's losing power? Any suggestions...

Could be anything like Phil says.

I had this happen not long ago and it turned out to be a loose/dirty CHT spade connector to the ECU...There is only one. No ground signal = No run.

I'd check fuel pressure as well.....those are the easy checks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if the compression is good, the dwell and timing spot on, the valves in adjustment and the fuel pressure steady, I would check the head temp sensor. You can check it by letting the car warm up and then after it starts to act up, disconnect the wire from the main harness point and ground the main harness where the sensor connects to the negative terminal of the battery, and drive the car again to see if the problem goes away

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 27 2018, 10:15 AM) *

cpavlenko
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 27 2018, 11:14 AM) *

if the compression is good, the dwell and timing spot on, the valves in adjustment and the fuel pressure steady, I would check the head temp sensor. You can check it by letting the car warm up and then after it starts to act up, disconnect the wire from the main harness point and ground the main harness where the sensor connects to the negative terminal of the battery, and drive the car again to see if the problem goes away

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 27 2018, 10:15 AM) *

Don't have a head temp sensor.
mgphoto
You stated fuel injected 1.7??
DRPHIL914
if you have d-jet 1.7, then you do have a head temp sensor. the FI will not run with out it hooked up or some type of signal going thru it to the ECU. that's why George suggested above the procedure to test how it runs with it hooked up and with it grounded , if the sensor is going bad it could act like you described, I had this happen on mine when I first got it. but I also had a kinked hose that caused low fuel flow, - check the ohm reading of your head temp sensor- if you don't know where that is do a quick search here you will see it is near the rear passenger spark plug.
- and as George said, as part of a tune up you check timing, dwell and valves.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 27 2018, 12:11 PM) *

if you have d-jet 1.7, then you do have a head temp sensor. the FI will not run with out it hooked up or some type of signal going thru it to the ECU. that's why George suggested above the procedure to test how it runs with it hooked up and with it grounded , if the sensor is going bad it could act like you described, I had this happen on mine when I first got it. but I also had a kinked hose that caused low fuel flow, - check the ohm reading of your head temp sensor- if you don't know where that is do a quick search here you will see it is near the rear passenger spark plug.
- and as George said, as part of a tune up you check timing, dwell and valves.
so, were would tis head temp sensor be, 1971 1.7 with d-jet?
cpavlenko
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 27 2018, 12:07 PM) *

You stated fuel injected 1.7??
yes 1971 1. 7 d-jet
brant
you don't have an aftermarket cylinder head temp gauge with sender

but you do have a head temp sensor to feed the "computer" the temp signal.

on the rear cylinder, passenger side.
screws through the tin work, into the head.
electrical connection is a single wire near the MPS
you can modify a socket extension and make your own tool if you need to remove the sensor for testing purposes.
mgphoto
Problem sounds like the fuel injection points in the base of the distributor are dirty, they are low voltage so they don't burn off the oil slung on them from the dizzy shaft.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 27 2018, 01:56 PM) *

Problem sounds like the fuel injection points in the base of the distributor are dirty, they are low voltage so they don't burn off the oil slung on them from the dizzy shaft.

I'll check that out now.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 27 2018, 01:56 PM) *

I think that was the problem. It took the car out for a run and it seemed all right and it wasn't cutting out. Thanks for the info
era vulgaris
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Feb 27 2018, 02:51 PM) *

mepstein
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Feb 27 2018, 09:49 PM) *

Easiest way to remove or replace is to use a deep well socket. Just buy a single one at the hardware store. Stuff the wire inside the space in the socket and remove or replace the sensor as needed.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 27 2018, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Feb 27 2018, 09:49 PM) *

Easiest way to remove or replace is to use a deep well socket. Just buy a single one at the hardware store. Stuff the wire inside the space in the socket and remove or replace the sensor as needed.

What size socket is the temp sensor? Thank you in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.