Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Radio Install Not Lining Up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I know I a pain in the ass but here we go again with reproduction parts. I was trying to install a Becker Europa Radio. First up was the hole for the face plate was too large. My work around would be to recover the plate and make sure I cut the hole smaller in the material. Then I tried fitting the radio into the dash. The back bracket would not line up. headbang.gif . Ok time to dig out an old factory bracket. Didn't take long to see the differences. Old plate is 10mm smaller and has rounded corners. The bottom of the old bracket is 15mm in thickness and the reproduction is 20mm.
sholman5
They (manufacturer) probaby expect that buyer is going to use an outer faceplate. Instead of period correct unit that has no faceplate.
Tom_T
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Feb 27 2018, 04:25 PM) *

They (manufacturer) probaby expect that buyer is going to use an outer faceplate. Instead of period correct unit that has no faceplate.

The radios sold back in the day at the dealers specifically for the 914s were mostly sold with a custom black plastic faceplate specific to the radio, & molded to the basketweave or brickweave texture, & which was specific to each radio, & with the 1/4 round cut-out for the glove box lock.

The ones which were made for both 911 & 914 like Mark's tended to use the leatherette material over a cut sheet metal faceplate covered with cut-out vinyl leatherette basketweave (70-74 MY) or brickweave (75-76 MY) cover. These were often just made up at the dealer or their fab shop locally.

Mark - you're probably better off to clean up the original fitting faceplate in an EvapoRust soak, rust treat with Wurth Zinc Rich Primer, then epoxy or good primer/sealer, & spray it black, then cut your on nice vinyl to fit it properly.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Sixer
Just the Motorola/Sapphires came with plastic face plate. Becker and Blaupunkt had chrome nose pieces for most foreign cars. They did offer universal metal plates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.