Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear suspension creaking.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Toy
I have a creaking noise in my 914-6 conversion from the rear suspension heard at low speeds over significant bumps and when passing over bumps that torque the cars body. Car has relatively new shocks and 140 lbs springs and new bushings on the control arm pivot rod supplied by Pelican Parts. I have disconnected the anti sway bars to eliminate them as the cause. I suspect the hard dark brown/black plastic like bushings are the cause of this creaking sound. The car has an excellent condition body with very little surface rust in some of the typical areas, so solid structural integrity. I have squirted liquid silicon lubrication on the lower spring supports also to no avail. Any suggestions as to what/where the creaking noise is coming from, and how to eliminate?
76-914
sounds like urethane bushings and yes they do report upon every movement. It gets a little better with time. beerchug.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 28 2018, 08:36 AM) *

sounds like urethane bushings and yes they do report upon every movement. It gets a little better with time. beerchug.gif

Thanks and good to know.
mgphoto
QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 28 2018, 08:39 AM) *

Thanks and good to know.

I installed the plastic bushings more than 25 years ago, still sqeeking, I just bought the 914 Rubber kit for the front and rear.
914Toy
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 28 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Thanks and good to know.

I installed the plastic bushings more than 25 years ago, still sqeeking, I just bought the 914 Rubber kit for the front and rear.

Will be interesting to learn if the 914 Rubber bushings solve this issue. Any special tools needed to install these rear rubber bushings?
mgphoto
QUOTE(914Toy @ Feb 28 2018, 08:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 28 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Thanks and good to know.

Will be interesting to learn if the 914 Rubber bushings solve this issue. Any special tools needed to install these rear rubber bushings?

There is a tool for the front bushings which are rubber, the rears are plastic which they say will not squeak, we'll see.
brant
About 20 years ago

I installed zerk fittings and grooved the bushings. It will solve the problem. You will need to realign after the work though
Mikey914
The rears we made with a polygraphite. You will notice they are much easier to install as the are lubricated. The big problem with the rubber is that you compress the air but bushing them in and it can't escape. This means they want to pop out. The ones we made will allow for them to release the pressure.
Mikey914
The rears we made with a polygraphite. You will notice they are much easier to install as the are lubricated. The big problem with the rubber is that you compress the air but bushing them in and it can't escape. This means they want to pop out. The ones we made will allow for them to release the pressure.
No special tool needed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.