Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts or Experience with these two Tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 1 2018, 10:22 AM) *

I like the camber gauge, it looks very similar to the tool my uncle gave me from the county auto shop, I think it was about 30 years old. Obviously though his was much bulkier. I might buy one of these.

Is this the same gauge?- https://www.amazon.com/KIPA-Adjustable-Magn...spons&psc=1
914forme
Both items can be found all over the web.

Camber can be done with a flat spot and a framing square confused24.gif

That being said it is a cheaper version of this.

And I do happen to use one of these, though I did it for years with a set of tapes, string, level, and a framing square. I tend to get my alignment closer than the tire shop guys with these primitive tools. The reason being is because I care. dry.gif

As far as the dent puller thingy. I get the idea. But like all PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) techniques it requires a bit of know-how on how to read a dent. Does it work, maybe, it is not the be all end all solution to every kind of dent you have. Most PDR techs will likely use spoons and other tools from the backside if they can get to it easily. These come in real handy for places around areas you can not gain access to. Think roof, hood behind the hinge point, A-pillars, etc..... Will it work on all dents, yes. It could become a very inefficient process. You might go through lots of supplies, to glue, pull, glue pull, glue pull..... And depending on the overall damage you might not get them all pulled out.

One other thing to consider, if using these on a 914 your metal is thicker than the newer body metals used on today's cars. Is it as thick as the 50 American metal, no, but still thicker than say a Honda Civic or Subaru.
914Toy
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 1 2018, 12:01 PM) *

Both items can be found all over the web.

Camber can be done with a flat spot and a framing square confused24.gif

That being said it is a cheaper version of this.

And I do happen to use one of these, though I did it for years with a set of tapes, string, level, and a framing square. I tend to get my alignment closer than the tire shop guys with these primitive tools. The reason being is because I care. dry.gif

As far as the dent puller thingy. I get the idea. But like all PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) techniques it requires a bit of know-how on how to read a dent. Does it work, maybe, it is not the be all end all solution to every kind of dent you have. Most PDR techs will likely use spoons and other tools from the backside if they can get to it easily. These come in real handy for places around areas you can not gain access to. Think roof, hood behind the hinge point, A-pillars, etc..... Will it work on all dents, yes. It could become a very inefficient process. You might go through lots of supplies, to glue, pull, glue pull, glue pull..... And depending on the overall damage you might not get them all pulled out.

One other thing to consider, if using these on a 914 your metal is thicker than the newer body metals used on today's cars. Is it as thick as the 50 American metal, no, but still thicker than say a Honda Civic or Subaru.

I just ordered the puller. Will report back.
Dave_Darling
Unless you have steel wheels you know are straight, it will be tough to find anything a magnet will stick to to set the alignment.

The dent puller looks like a more-elaborate version of the suction cup thing. Call me dubious on that front.

--DD
76-914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 1 2018, 03:59 PM) *

Unless you have steel wheels you know are straight, it will be tough to find anything a magnet will stick to to set the alignment.

The dent puller looks like a more-elaborate version of the suction cup thing. Call me dubious on that front.

--DD

OK, your dubious. Isn't that a mandatory requirement for engineers? lol-2.gif The camber tool sticks to the rotor not the wheel. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 2 2018, 08:21 AM) *
The camber tool sticks to the rotor not the wheel. beerchug.gif

So you can measure the camber of your brake rotor when the car's weight is not on its suspension? That's pretty useless. Alignments are almost always done with the weight of the car compressing the suspension to its static ride height, which is hard to do when the wheels are not on the car....

Additionally, the rear rotors on a 914 are not held that firmly to the hub unless the wheel is in place, so it's easy to introduce small errors there. And speaking of errors, if there is a piece of grit between the rotor and the magnetic base, you're introducing a potential error there as well.

I feel that a better solution would reference the wheel, not the rotor, and would have a couple of points of contact instead of just one. The original SmartCamber tool is one such, but it shouldn't be hard to make something out of scrap metal that will fit one particular set of wheels. You can use a plumb-bob, or a spirit level, or a digital angle finder if you want to spend $$ to get quick results.

--DD
914-300Hemi
Curious to see if the dent puller would work.
iankarr
Beware the glue and suction dent pullers. I tried it on a ding and pulled off a circle of paint. stromberg.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.