Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Two questions..

1) Which tab does the Yellow wire connect to?

2) What connects to the second Tab?
JFG
With the starter fitted the yellow (ignition?) Wire goes to the top on mine. Nothing else is connected on mine.
Dave_Darling
Those two tabs should be electrically identical to each other. Put the yellow wire on whichever one is more convenient. I don't know why there are two; probably it was easier to make that way for different applications or cheaper to buy more of the part with two connectors than getting a smaller number of ones with single connectors.

--DD
jcd914
Different application.
For some vehicles that used ballast resistors in the power circuit to the ignition coil, there was a wire from the starter to the coil to bypass the ballast resistor during cranking.
The wire from the starter is only hot while cranking.
The ballast resistor drops the voltage to the coil and during cranking the battery voltage drops.
With both the ballast resistor dropping the voltage and cranking dropping the voltage, the voltage to the coil could drop too low.
The wire from the starter to the coil bypassed the ballast resistor and during cranking the voltage to the coil was a little higher.

It was common on older cars, 914's did not use the circuit.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.