Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 fit with stock intake vs 3.0 with CIS?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning. I know the 3.0 L engines with the stock CIS system are a tight fit, is the 3.2 L with the stock intake any easier/harder to fit?

Thanks in advance for the coaching, looking forward to seeing a bunch of you on Sunday.
JmuRiz
Welcome to the madness. Yes the intake will work just fine, you'll need a new elbow to make it fit though. Do a google search for 3.2 intake on 914world (that supports searches on engine sizes)
mb911
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Mar 2 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Welcome to the madness. Yes the intake will work just fine, you'll need a new elbow to make it fit though. Do a google search for 3.2 intake on 914world (that supports searches on engine sizes)

agree.gif

Its just after the afm the part that connects to the plastic air filter housing is the issue.
SirAndy
If i recall correctly, one can flip the upper intake on a 3.2L to make it fit without a special elbow.

idea.gif
roblav1
For the 3.6... it's been a while, but I remember flipping something to make the thing fit in there.
mepstein
3.2 is really easy. You get a $10 extension from flaps and use it to extend the air box (i wanted to use the stock air box) .I also made a steel bracket with some home depot material, a vise and a drill to keep everything sturdy. I did leave off the stock snorkel tube on the air box but it might fit if you really want it on there.

I didn't want to flip the intake because I wanted the stock wire harness to plug in without difficulty.
Tdskip
You guys are just fantastic, thanks for the info.
Steve
yep... what he said. 3.2 is a joke. $10.00 extension from flaps and some L brackets from Home Depot Motorsports. I have seen 3.0's with a cut trunk and others with volvo parts? Can be done, but more work than a 3.2.
My car and other 3.2 conversions will be at the Phoenix club this Sunday for a looksie... who knows there might be a 3.0 too, but most 3.0's are running webers..
tomeric914
Like this?

IPB Image
EdwardBlume
You can make a 3.0 work just fine with a bitzracing EFI and an aftermarket air cleaner on the stock intake.
EdwardBlume
Or carbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 2 2018, 03:49 PM) *
You can make a 3.0 work just fine with a bitzracing EFI and an aftermarket air cleaner on the stock intake.

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 2 2018, 03:50 PM) *
Or carbs.

No need for either, i helped Jeff with his 3.0 MFI and all that was needed to make it work was a custom home-made elbow.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=157754

I miss hanging out with him ...
sad.gif
mb911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2018, 05:31 PM) *

Or carbs.

No need for either, i helped Jeff with his 3.0 MFI and all that was needed to make it work was a custom home-made elbow.

sad.gif

He was a good guy..
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 2 2018, 05:31 PM) *

Or carbs.

sad.gif

agree.gif

A number of people have left us too soon. Gives me more resolve to drive vs look at these cars...

I've studied Jeff's work and its very impressive. He worked really hard to figure it all out and pull it off. I thought about it but I can't find any 242 boots and the custom elbow would be another gap in my skills. Still it would be worth doing since there's more and more 3.0 CIS parts floating around.... likely because of bitzracing, rasant, and others EFI offerings.
Justinp71

I thought with the 3.0 cis you can flip it 180 degrees? I used to have a 2.7 cis, all we did is relocate the trunk latch, but the 3.0 has more sensors.

I said f it and put on carbs with my 3.0!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 2 2018, 09:57 PM) *

I thought with the 3.0 cis you can flip it 180 degrees? I used to have a 2.7 cis, all we did is relocate the trunk latch, but the 3.0 has more sensors.

The EFI and MS aren't too far above the value of the carb which is why its worth looking at. The CIS is free since the motor is complete, but modern EFI claims to add HP, efficiency, and reliability. It's hard to argue mating a 3.0 porsche motor with 2018 technology, but there lies the conundrum.
mepstein
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 3 2018, 08:16 AM) *

The EFI and MS aren't too far above the value of the carb which is why its worth looking at. The CIS is free since the motor is complete, but modern EFI claims to add HP, efficiency, and reliability. It's hard to argue mating a 3.0 porsche motor with 2018 technology, but there lies the conundrum.

With CIS. you are sort of stuck with stockish hp no matter what else you do to the engine. Carbs, EFI, MFI, ect let you get a lot more out of the engine. Our 780hp 962 is a 3.0 block with custom (by Porsche) motronic.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 3 2018, 05:45 AM) *

With CIS. you are sort of stuck with stockish hp no matter what else you do to the engine. Carbs, EFI, MFI, ect let you get a lot more out of the engine. Our 780hp 962 is a 3.0 block with custom (by Porsche) motronic.

What range HP could you expect from a ROW 78/79 3.0 stock cams, Bitzracing EFI, MS? Stock I believe is 172
mepstein
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 3 2018, 08:47 AM) *

What range HP could you expect from a ROW 78/79 3.0 stock cams, Bitzracing EFI, MS? Stock I believe is 172

No idea but I think most people who rebuild an engine and use an alternate induction will end up changing the cams as well. I have a feeling that just changing the induction without a cam change doesn't do a lot. Sort of the same way a lot of 914 guys will "slap on a set of carbs" to not have to deal with the stock FI.

Stock CIS isn't a bad system. We always have Tony Donato rebuild the WUR and FD on any stock system. Most of the time they are rusty and corroded and will never allow the engine to run right until they are rebuilt.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 3 2018, 05:47 AM) *

My 3.0 when first installed had 964+ cams, headers and carbs. I believe it was around 230hp, it felt lightning fast compared to my old tired 2.7L. I was on the race track with a stock 81 911 on slicks and I was light years faster. Got me hooked on 914's. I'd think on EFI it'd be similar.

I talked to a guy with a stock (or near stock, maybe 964 cams its been awhile) with a 78/79 ROW 3.0 motor and 46mm carbs, he claimed the motor dyno'd at 260hp!
pete-stevers
my 3.0 with cis was tight indeed, I had to cut out the lid latch and dropped the motor and tranny one inch ... otherwise I would have had to cut into the trunk
IronHillRestorations
I spoke with one 914-6 conversion customer who put 3.2 injection on his 3.0. Don't know who it was, and never saw any pics.
mmascari
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Mar 4 2018, 01:44 PM) *

I spoke with one 914-6 conversion customer who put 3.2 injection on his 3.0. Don't know who it was, and never saw any pics.

I always wondered if that would work. That might be worth looking in to. I have carbs now.
mepstein
QUOTE(mmascari @ Mar 4 2018, 04:47 PM) *

I always wondered if that would work. That might be worth looking in to. I have carbs now.

It’s documented on pelican.
mb911

I did that in a 911 and worked great..
EdwardBlume

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...take-3-0-a.html

I feel all Googly today...
MoveQik
The 3.2 is a pretty easy fit with inexpensive parts.
Tdskip
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 5 2018, 03:22 PM) *

The 3.2 is a pretty easy fit with inexpensive parts.

Very tidy
tomeric914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2018, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mmascari @ Mar 4 2018, 04:47 PM) *

It’s documented on pelican.

It's also shown in post #9. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.