Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Front Rotor on a late model
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
From researching the subject, I understand that the main difference (if not the only difference) between the early front rotors (70-72) and the later model rotors is that the later models have a hubcentric centering ring incorporated into the casting, to center the wheels. I'm looking at getting a set of never used Early front rotors that have been re-drilled with the 5x130 pattern. They are supposed to be a cheaper method of getting the 5 hole pattern than going the 911 suspension route... just add the right bearings apparently (but I don't know the specifics of that). But my car's a '74 model though. Will they work? Also, isn't that the hubcentric ring in the middle of the rotors, in the following pic of said rotor set?
IPB Image

Doug C
Dave_Darling
If I recall correctly, the calipers will be a bit off-center on the rotors.

The early hubs have a ring, but it is not the same and it is not precisely cut to center the wheel. An early wheel will not fit correctly on a late front hub; the other way around is no problem.

--DD
Literati914
So, see if I understand.. I can use these with my '74 along with ANY original 914 wheel. However, none of those wheels will benefit from the hubcentric design of the later rotors (because they're missing on these). And my brake pads will wear unevenly, or are there shims for centering the caliper?

Doug C
914Sixer
You can not use the Pedrini wheels on a 74 unless they are 01. Fuchs and Mahle will work. The early rotors have a DIFFERENT OFFSET than the late one because of the caliper position. That is the Major difference Not the centering hub.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 3 2018, 08:55 AM) *

You can not use the Pedrini wheels on a 74 unless they are 01. Fuchs and Mahle will work. The early rotors have a DIFFERENT OFFSET than the late one because of the caliper position. That is the Major difference Not the centering hub.

That's what I always thought. The late offset makes all the difference for fit.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there were three rotors, early through 4722919032 short for the single bleeder calipers and early ball joint no centering disc

intermediate from 4722919032 tall hat dual bleeder calipers late ball joint no centering disc

late after 4732901000 tall hat late ball joint dual bleeders wheel centering disc.

Factory superseded all to just two
411407075 for up to 4722919032 short hat no centering disc will only fit the early cars

411407075b for any car after the 19032 production number, tall hat centering disc

Struts were changed in late 72 and the short hat caliper will not fit the later cars. Hence when we tap the rotors on the late cars for the 911 fuchs wheels that will not fit over the wheel centering disc on the rotor, we shave it off

QUOTE(Dougster @ Mar 2 2018, 03:21 PM) *

From researching the subject, I understand that the main difference (if not the only difference) between the early front rotors (70-72) and the later model rotors is that the later models have a hubcentric centering ring incorporated into the casting, to center the wheels. I'm looking at getting a set of never used Early front rotors that have been re-drilled with the 5x130 pattern. They are supposed to be a cheaper method of getting the 5 hole pattern than going the 911 suspension route... just add the right bearings apparently (but I don't know the specifics of that). But my car's a '74 model though. Will they work? Also, isn't that the hubcentric ring in the middle of the rotors, in the following pic of said rotor set?
IPB Image

Doug C
Literati914
I get it now, great info! Thanks.

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.