Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: Plastic ring between the alternator and tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
mtndawg
Someone posted about the tin recently but I have not seen further discussion.

I have a stock 2.0L alternator and round tin. Where can I get the round plastic ring the fits between them?

I would like to get it new if possible because I have a new alternator and freshly powder coated tin. If that’s not available I would like to find a decent used one.
TheCabinetmaker
Afaik, new are not available.
TJB/914
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Mar 3 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Someone recently posted about the tin recently but I have not seen further discussion.

I have a stock 2.0L alternator and round tin. Where can I get the round plastic ring the fits between them?

I would like to get it new if possible because I have a new alternator and freshly powder coated tin. If that’s not available I would like to find a decent used one.

mtndawg,
I have what you need, but I'll only sell the combo parts shown in the photo for $200 + shipping. I don't want to break up the combo.
Tom
mtndawg
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 3 2018, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(mtndawg @ Mar 3 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Someone recently posted about the tin recently but I have not seen further discussion.

mtndawg,
I have what you need, but I'll only sell the combo parts shown in the photo for $200 + shipping. I don't want to break up the combo.
Tom

Appreciate the offer and that you don’t want to break it up. I’ll have to pass since I have everything in the photo except the ring.
Mikey914
We had started the drawings for these but from a production standpoint didn’t think they would pencil out.
We could revisit but wouldn’t even have a sample for 6 weeks. Would that do you any good?
$6-8 range
914Sixer
What about using some weather striping from the big box?
JOEPROPER
Mark, I'm looking for the same piece if that makes a difference. I need one ASAP.

Joe
Mikey914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 3 2018, 10:57 AM) *

What about using some weather striping from the big box?

Please elaborate.

Also I’ll post up a possible GB to see interest.
mtndawg
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 3 2018, 10:55 AM) *

We had started the drawings for these but from a production standpoint didn’t think they would pencil out.
We could revisit but wouldn’t even have a sample for 6 weeks. Would that do you any good?
$6-8 range

I would be interested and can wait a few weeks.
Fosterjoejr
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Mar 3 2018, 08:03 AM) *

Someone posted about the tin recently but I have not seen further discussion.

PM sent
Mikey914
These are pretty easily done. most have been removed over time as they had gotten deformed. Not quite sure how a generic piece of rubber from a big box store would work well here, if at all. I know they do work without, but the question is how much extra heat is being carried and what does this do to output and lifespan?
I suspect there is more resistance due to some increased heat, and the lifespan may be shortened. The factory did almost everything for a reason and multiply this by 115,000 even a dollar per unit has a significant cost. So there must be a justification for them to make the part in the 1st place.
73-914

should the pulley be on the other way?
beech4rd
This, I believe, is the correct orientation for the pulley.Click to view attachment
mtndawg
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 4 2018, 02:46 AM) *

These are pretty easily done. most have been removed over time as they had gotten deformed. Not quite sure how a generic piece of rubber from a big box store would work well here, if at all. I know they do work without, but the question is how much extra heat is being carried and what does this do to output and lifespan?
I suspect there is more resistance due to some increased heat, and the lifespan may be shortened. The factory did almost everything for a reason and multiply this by 115,000 even a dollar per unit has a significant cost. So there must be a justification for them to make the part in the 1st place.

Agreed, the factory wouldn’t spend time and money on something that serves no purpose.
Jett
Mark, I need a couple and no hurry... our 73 1.7 is going in for rebuilding after 150K miles of flawless service smile.gif. She still runs strong but I can’t take the oil leaking anymore.
rhodyguy
I have a few.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.