Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does it spell?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jenny
So Brian's out in the yard admiring his newly aquired crotch rocket when he hears a car pull up to where we always park. Car stops, two doors open and then close, and he hears crunching gravel as they walk. Stop.

"What does that say? Spell it out!"

"P-O-R-S-C-H---"

"That's right. Porsche. I told you, you dipshit!"

Car doors open, close, and car drives off.

rolling.gif lol2.gif lol3.gif

Had to share that with everyone. I wonder how often we get the same reaction without ever knowing it.

Jen
Joe Bob
Sounds like someone put a Porsche sticker on the Yugo again.... laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I dont get it.

They didnt know what the bike was ?? or where they looking at your Orange car ??

Did Brian trade in the Harley with low mileage ??

B
ninefourteener
I get similar stuff all the time. I usually get 2 responses:

1. "Wow... cool car.... I haven't seen one of those in years"

2. "What the hell kinda car is that?"

Seriously...... I think there are no more than 4 (running) 914s in the Saint Louis area. I drive ALL over the3 place... and I NEVER see one, even at car shows.

For example, I went to a HUGE (300 + cars) car show this weekend. There was a guy with a 917 (kit car), but not a single 914..... except mine smilie_pokal.gif
KaptKaos
Seriously...... I think there are no more than 4 (running) 914s in the Saint Louis area. I drive ALL over the3 place... and I NEVER see one, even at car shows.

For example, I went to a HUGE (300 + cars) car show this weekend. There was a guy with a 917 (kit car), but not a single 914..... except mine

You'd think in Los Angeles you'd see more 914s, but you don't. I rarely see other 914s on the road. In fact, since i have had mine for about 8 months and seen 2 other 914 while driving. I have 3 others while driving with the family in the minivan (one twice - a red 914 in Marina Del Rey with big fender flares), but that doesn't count!

I am getting to the point where I hate new cars. They are so boring. I drive the freeways looking for interesting cars and it seems so rare that I see them. Anything unique. I saw an original Mini a few weeks ago, a 65 T-bird coupe (sweet), a 356 B, a Lotus Esprit (late 70-early 80s) but other than that, everything else looks the same.

Boring!

- Joe assimilate.gif
seanery
joe,

I used to see a couple driving to work (Redondo to Hollywood). The one that sticks out is a pretty good looking black -4 with a ski rack on it driven by a girl, chic, woman...

I saw them quite frequently, but I hung around a P-car repair guy.
scotty
I only saw other 914's on the road when mine wasn't running.... ("Please, Honey! Let me buy the part!")
Jenny
KaptKaos~ I see at least 1 914 on either the 101 or the 405 every time I go down to LA. Just about as many as I see in the bay area, IMHO.

Brad~ Brian was on the INSIDE of the fence, listening to these teenagers looking at my car on the OUTSIDE of the fence. Brian sold the harley for $200 less than what he bought it for over a year ago.

Jen
ninefourteener
Nope..... not here in Saint Louis. Wanna hear a funny story?

My last 914...... (72 Tangerine, 1.7, Webers)...... The damn thing would just shut OFF while driving....... complete electrical failure.

Before I drove it off a cliff, I called around to find someone who could troubleshoot the electrical problem for me.

Got turned down 11 times before I finally found a shop that would look at it. They all said "Don't bring that damn thing here, we don't have the books on it, and most of the folks here haven't even seen one before"

This is INCLUDING BOTH THE PORSCHE AND VOLKWAGEN DEALERSHIPS.

Scary huh?
TheCabinetmaker
two more responses:

" I had one of those in college"

" My best friend used to have one of those"

Here's the best ever. In a car wash one day an older lady lady says " I've been thinking of buying one of those". After a moment of puzzlement I responded " they are getting hard to find". Her reply was " I saw a brand new yesterday at the Mazda dealership!" w00t.gif ar15.gif
Joe Bob
There are more than 10 here in Santa Barbara....at least three are original sixes.....
GWN7
or "cool car" kid at gas station, next breath "What is it?" laugh.gif
Jenny
I was chatting with a middle aged woman who was driving a sweet looking datsun Z at a rest stop. Told her I had a 914. She said she had one of those back in the 80's. "Oh, those cars were a lot of fun! I used to have one. Turns and handles great! I had the 2.8Ltr motor!"

That's nice! clap56.gif

Jen
mikester
There's quite a few around here in Socal.

ANd no, I'm not talking about the ones parked at Ottos. cool.gif

There's one that a friend of mine drives that he's had since he bought it in '71, black on black 1.7. There's another black one I always see just parked way up on 14th near Arizona I think...

There's another one that drives by either real early or real late once in a while that doesn't seem to have mufflers. I always hear him coming and going and he's loud as all get out. There's mine, there's yours....

I work down in Orange and I've seen a yellow one on occasion on the way home on the 405 and there's a Blue one over there I saw that looked damn near new. There's another in Long Beach that's that purple color, he's got it all cherry'd out too.

It's cool to see so many so often.
Curvie Roadlover
In the 4 years I have owned 914's here in SE Mich. I have seen another one on the road exactly twice. This doesn't include our SE Mich 914 owners group get-togethers, of course, when I've seen about 20 all at one time.
Mark Henry
My local Sunoco gas station is the one just before the Mosport racetrack. As I was filling up the gas girl says to me "thats the first Porsche I like the looks of...all the rest I've seen look squished bugs".

I've never seen another 914 on the road, I've seen a bunch of them parked at Mike's 914 (local shop) and at Alex's shop, there was a couple I've seen in peoples driveways as well, but that's about it.
redshift
Most people who don't know what it is start off with Fiat, and it gets worse from there.

smile.gif

Two unshaven freaks almost as scary as myself get out of their truck at the store, and one guy starts whooping, and the other guy goes, "Yep, just like that one! I used to have one of them things, just like that one!".

He then goes on to tell the story about how it would do 180mph.

Good luck fellas!

M
GWN7
redshift, mabey those were the guys who jumped the causeway bridge in Florida? laugh.gif
PatW
Last month while waiting to make a left turn on Blossom Hill on a early Sunday morning. (San Jose)
A crazy lady slowed down and waved and honked her horn. No reason. blink.gif Kinda looked like Jenny maybe tongue.gif Or its usually a drunk f*ck that says "these cars rock!" Or "can I find one of these at a dealership?"

Pat
Jenny
QUOTE(PatW @ Jul 10 2003, 09:06 PM)
A crazy lady slowed down and waved and honked her horn. No reason. blink.gif Kinda looked like Jenny maybe tongue.gif

Ouch, that hurts. I'm starting to get "lady" and "m'am," but not "crazy lady." My mode of transportation is a white chevy silverado extended cab. Come to think of it, I proally do look a bit crazy driving that thing. calvin.gif

Jen
campbellcj
We have a kinda wacky family friend - actually the mom of a friend our age - who drove a 914 for many years. She's in her mid/late 60's. She "graduated" to a 944 for a while after that, and now has a really sweet 993!
Bruce Allert
I pulled into a gas station, pop the hood & get out as I usually do, my wife is still sitting in the car. A guy with an Indian accent comes up while I lift the hood & remove the gas cap & says, "you put gas in there?" pointing to the open tank.
"Yup, right there", I say. All this time he has this puzzled grin cool.gif
"Is the motor in back?" he asks.
"Nope, in the middle" I reply... and his grin gets bigger, and I say, "what"? He says "in the middle?"
"uh-huh".
I go in to pay and when I come out my wife is smirking. The Indian accented guy & another gas attendant (big & young with spiked hair) is sitting by the pumps looking at the car, both grinning.
My wife tells me while I'm gone the spiky guy asks the other where the motor is and is told "in the middle"! Spiky says huh? you mean it's underneath??? How do you get to it??? the other guy just shrugged.
Gawd... I love this car and the people you meet clap56.gif
bruce
KaptKaos
Yup. Sad thing is that everyone likes our cars, but they keep driving them there new cars.

I think I am going to sell my other car (not the minivan for the kids) and get something else old. I was thinking a BMW 2002, an old T-bird, Old Lincoln w/suicide doors. Something, anything that has some style, chome and doesn't look like soap that's been left in the dish too long! calvin.gif

Phew, I better calm down now.

G'nite.

- Joe assimilate.gif
Anton
Trying to be polite gasstation staff: "Nice MG."

Not very impressed 914 driver: "It's a Porsche 914 also known as VoPo* (Volkswagen Porsche)."

Trying find an excuse to get out of a potential situation gasstation staff: "Oh, never seen one of those before."

Now seriously not impressed 914 driver (WTF, why did you call it an oil-spiller then?): "You'd better not call Porsches MGs or your line of customers might get very short."

Just a typical story on an otherwise sunny day. cool.gif

* = the name VoPo has a double meaning as this is also short for the infamous VolksPolizei in former Eastern Germany. It is a common nickname for the car in Germany and Holland.
sechszylinder
hi anton,

you'd better avoid to use VOPO, especially here in Berlin, due to the double meaning you mentioned wink.gif

ciao ...

benno
Ferg
I pull into a gas station and pop the hood, as I walk around to the front I notice a 16 year oldish kid filling the window washer stuff, I open the hood and start to pump the gas, the kid comes running over and very politely says "sir i'm gonna have to ask you to remove the can and not fill it while it's in your car" I look at him for a moment and then realize he thinks I'm filling up a spare can. I motion him to come closer and watch his eyes get big, then a look of total confusion came over him. All the said was "never mind" followed by "nice car" rolleyes.gif
Ferg
AZ914
Good stories!!

Because I have a 75, I'm blessed with the curse that is 'emmisions control'. Arizona (metro areas) requires that the emmision checkers check for an air pump, CAT, and back when regular gas was served, the narrow fuel neck in the tank.
....so, I pull up to the emissions check. The guy says he needs to check for the air pump, etc.... walks up to the front of the car and says, 'Pop the hood please'. I point towards the back of the car and say 'behind me'. So then he walks back and stands behind the trunk. GEEEZ... After we get that straightened out, he grabs his tank insert and starts walks around the car about 3 times looking for the tank. I thought he might rip my rear plate off. Must have been a rookie! mueba.gif
Kerrys914
"oh ya... that's the ugly porsh with the VW engine." ar15.gif

Makes me love these cars more. gunner.gif
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 10 2003, 11:41 PM)
Yup.  Sad thing is that everyone likes our cars, but they keep driving them there new cars.

I think I am going to sell my other car (not the minivan for the kids) and get something else old.  I was thinking a BMW 2002, an old T-bird, Old Lincoln w/suicide doors.  Something, anything that has some style, chome and doesn't look like soap that's been left in the dish too long! calvin.gif

Phew, I better calm down now.

G'nite.

- Joe assimilate.gif

I really like the old BMW 2002 tii.
tryan
there are two in this town of 3000. the other is a yellow '75 that was owned by the guys mother.

i have had the fiat comment before. i said 'yup, x/19.'

truck driving women are cool. hell, i married one with a 67 c10.
scotty
I thought he might rip my rear plate off.

Bwahaha! That's why getting gas here in Oregon is so much fun (No self-serve)! Depending on your mood, getting gas at a 'new' station can either be great fun or hell.

I think I am going to sell my other car (not the minivan for the kids) and get something else old.
Volvo 122s, Saab 92, 96, or Sonett....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.