Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too Close for Comfort
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
So late Tuesday afternoon I decided to reset the timer on the driveway lights. It is located on the wall above the garage door track with the yellow face. See it? I stood on the wheel rim that is the base of the grinder pedestal. My black car is adjacent to that. Because I was a little off balance I grabbed the top of the cabinet. In the next second I was pinned between the car and the cabinet. The cabinet had done a half gainer and was upside down with the door facing away from me. I had somehow caught that bastard on the way down with my left arm. In my right arm was the 5 gallon bucket full of scrap wood pieces. It had previously been perched on top of this cabinet. One second I was adjusting the timer and in the next I was holding both of these items wondering how in the Hell I could get these to the ground without damaging the car or myself. What a fucking dilemma! I could not hold both of these items if you placed them in my arms yet here I was with both. I let the bucket slip down until I could feel the handle then slowly lowered it to the floor keeping a tight grip on the cabinet in my other arm. Once I had the bucket on the ground I was able to grab the cabinet with both hands and survey what had just transpired. The car hadn't a scratch and I but 3. Blood was streaming down my face and I was elated the car escaped w/o a dent or scratch. You think someone was watching over me? I damned sure do. The cabinet and it's items weighed in at 46 lb's. The bucket and it's contents, a paltry 15lb's. Both were on top of me in a second and landed in my arms? I think this proves beyond a shadow of doubt that God does indeed favor Porche's. Here a couple of pic's so you get an idea. Thx Lord, pray.gif

Aftermath:

Click to view attachment

The contents:

Click to view attachment

Re-installed and screwed to wood not sheetrock slap.gif

Click to view attachment

My butt was pinned against the fender and back against the pillar. You can see the dust and white paint chips laying on either side where my butt wasn't. av-943.gif

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
If god was watching over you, why didn't he take a video. shades.gif That would have been quite a scene.

Glad you're safe Kent...and you saved the car.
914Sixer
Whoooa ! A slippery slope.
mepstein
People heal but thank god you didn’t damage the car. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
You're too damn OLD to be screwing around. Safety first.
Unobtanium-inc
Glad you nor the car got hurt too bad.
It's amazing the Mama Bear reaction to when our cars are about to be hurt. I remember one time at the old shop we were bringing a 911 down the ramp and it slipped on ice and started really moving. I basically rode the fender, digging in my feet, stopped inches from another car, except I was between the car, so a few more inches would have been me and the cars getting intimate. In retrospect it was stupid, I should have just let it roll, but Mama Bear thoughts kicked in.
Good to know we love our cars!
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 3 2018, 08:26 AM) *
I think this proves beyond a shadow of doubt that God does indeed favor Porche's.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go, glad you and your car are OK ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Mueller
Ouch, hard to beat gravity!

We expect video next time smile.gif
rhodyguy
Is the H-6 ready to go?
EdwardBlume
I lost a shelf exactly the same way in the middle of the night it just let out. I had crap all over the place. Luckily it missed Dads car almost entirely. I reinforced the heck out of it and put it all back up. Used a stud finder unlike the DAPO.
914-300Hemi
Glad to hear that you and the care are okay.
Cairo94507
Glad you dodged that bullet. Please clean out the garage so you have room to work without standing on stuff. When we are young we bounce right back from these little problems. Once we earn our grey hair.....not so much. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 3 2018, 10:07 AM) *

Ouch, hard to beat gravity!

We expect video next time smile.gif
I wish I had a video. The look on my face surely said, WTF.gif just happened?
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 3 2018, 01:13 PM) *

Is the H-6 ready to go?
Always. Not a scratch on it. Whew!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.