Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For you hybrid guys, especially Bellis And Andyrew...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
I just opened Yopu’s hood and suddenly it occurred to me how nicely this little 2.8TT would fit in a 914. Its even got 3 ECU modes - ECO, Comfort, and Sport. Those might not be useable as they might control some suspension changes. In sport mode, this thing scoots a bit. That’s in a 5000# sedan. In a 914 if it could be done, it would be a screamer!
Chris914n6
That's an i4 poke.gif

which is better because there are fewer coils & injectors to replace every 60k. It's still going to leak/consume oil though... the $10 quart stuff.

I've done $4-5k worth of work on a 335i in the past 30k miles. Only 120k.

Much cheaper/easier/reliable ways to get 240+hp. The 350z V6 is 290hp stock, 400hp with turbo kit piratenanner.gif
Andyrew
Cant say I would go BMW power, Reliability would be a big concern.

350z motor would have a good amount of power and they are everywhere. 1k will get you a nice one. Powerband is nice and the sound is iconic!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 3 2018, 09:51 AM) *

I just opened Yopu’s hood...

Hey, what you do with your wife in private is best left in the Sandbox!!

If that is related to the 2n-generation MINI engine, I would stay away...

--DD
thelogo

So many better and more reliable hunks of metal
Out there id use before a bavarian turbo 4 .

Did someone say output was 240 snoring horses.

Isnt that the same as honda s2000 mill.

Id go with that over any other .see you all at 9k rpm
Steve
I agree... a Honda S2000 motor in a 914 would be awesome!!!
I’m not a fan of Bring My Wallet motors.
EdwardBlume
A Beemer motor in a 914 is like high heels at a tractor pull... it's interesting... but that's about it.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(thelogo @ Mar 3 2018, 01:42 PM) *

So many better and more reliable hunks of metal
Out there id use before a bavarian turbo 4 .

Did someone say output was 240 snoring horses.

Isnt that the same as honda s2000 mill.

Id go with that over any other .see you all at 9k rpm

By the time you hit 9k... 200 lbft torque @ 2k will have already won the race bootyshake.gif

Does the S2000 even make 200 tq?

beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
The oil leak problem is common after 60K miles. She seldom keeps anything that long. Hers doesn’t leak or burn a drop. Oil burning is much more common in the Audi she had before this. The engine had to be rebuilt by the dealer at 55K miles. It was totaled a week later.

If you like the S2000 engine, McMark put one in a BMW 2002 for a customer. biggrin.gif
73-914
I was thinking more of 2.7 Audi TT
Andyrew
QUOTE(73-914 @ Mar 3 2018, 06:20 PM) *

Get rid of all the plastics and this is a rock solid motor. What else? Its heavy as F. Like 500lbs dressed.

Good thing about it? It can make 1khp built or 600hp with simple bolt ons.

The 4.2 is considerably lighter than the 2.7 and makes a killer noise. Hp is 280-420 depending. Heavy and expensive maintenance for all but the early motors. Those early lower HP motors can go 300k pretty easily with low maintenance.

If I was looking for a cheap motor to make good numbers it would be a honda K24.

If I wanted something for the sound it would be vq35 or Audi 4.2

If I wanted something proven and fun it would be LS

If I wanted a light track motor with a "pick your power level" setup it would be any number of turbo 4s, but probably settle again on the Audi 1.8t.

JmuRiz
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 3 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Get rid of all the plastics and this is a rock solid motor. What else? Its heavy as F. Like 500lbs dressed.

The 4.2 is considerably lighter than the 2.7 and makes a killer noise. Hp is 280-420 depending. Heavy and expensive maintenance for all but the early motors. Those early lower HP motors can go 300k pretty easily with low maintenance.

Yes a timing belt 40v 4.2 is the way to go, in the D2 A/S8 Or C5 A6 4.2/S6
I have one in my S6 avant and I love it, jumps off the line in a HEAVY wagon, in a 915?it’d be insane! 340hp/310tq. For begets crosses mind last 300k miles, I love the car (tons of space a road trip master and seating for 7 if needed)
jcd914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 3 2018, 06:58 PM) *

If I was looking for a cheap motor to make good numbers it would be a honda K24.

If I wanted something for the sound it would be vq35 or Audi 4.2

If I wanted something proven and fun it would be LS

If I wanted a light track motor with a "pick your power level" setup it would be any number of turbo 4s, but probably settle again on the Audi 1.8t.

I did not realize how much the 2.7tt Audi motor weighed.
I was considering one for a swap down the road.
I have two 2.7tt Allroads sitting in the driveway and will end up parting one of them out.

Jim
Andyrew

2.7 is about 440-475 dependinh on where you read

1.8t is 282
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.