Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bypass the steering lock ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I've got a project car going to be delivered to me tomorrow or the next day. The seller divulged that the key was lost but assured me that the steering column does not lock (the price and my enthusiasm helped me sort of believe him). Anyway, the driver just called in route and tells me that the steering is locked (surprise, surprise headbang.gif ). So, unless I can defeat the steering column lock I'm gonna have to run out and buy a set of wheel dollies, and I'd rather not. Anyone know a way to bypass the column lock on a '74 without the key? TIA.

Doug C
ndfrigi
remove the key cylinder and it will free the steering column.

found a thread that you can reference.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...gnition++switch
Tom_T
Doug -

If you have to pull the lock cylinder out for delivery - Then take the cylinder to a locksmith or Porsche dealer, along with your ownership documentation, & they should be able to re-key it for you, but then you'll also want to take all of the door, front & rear trunk & glovebox lock cylinders at the same time to get them all re-keyed.

But FIRST ....

Check if you have any of the original owners manual info with the key code sheet or the code written on them, or also try calling PCNA on Monday to see if they can give you the key code for your card (there's an outside chance that it was written on the Kardex at the factory). They may require you to fax, email or text your new owner documents 1st for obvious reasons.

If so, then any locksmith or Porsche dealer can cut you new keys from the code.

Make sure that you get both the black & red keys cut & some spares - cuz the red ones lack a groove which allows it to only work the doors & ignition for valets, so they cannot get into the trunks or glovebox with it.

So you don't want all red keys for you, or you'll be locked out too! blink.gif

Also, Zimm's in town may be able to help you with keys.

Congratz! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Chris914n6
Remove steering wheel. 24mm nut?
Remove both levers. 4 flat tip screws & 2 harness plugs.
Remove the plastic cover and the triangle piece of steel.
Hidden in the slot is a hole to the leaf spring that hold the cylinder in. Press and wiggle the cylinder out.
Use a screwdriver to push the slider away from the shaft, that should release the lock. It's spring loaded so put a 24mm od long socket in to hold it open.

HTH
Literati914
Ok, sounds do-able - thanks all, for the help.

Doug C
Literati914
My project car showed up today and yes the column was locked and the steering wheel was useless as expected. I realized after the transporter left that someone (probably the driver) had disconnected the steering shaft at the coupler/linkage under the dash, which is a good foot or so from the ignition switch. So I thought, hmm... that should have worked to free up the front wheels so that they could be kicked left and right as the car was being pushed. But to my surprise you could only get a few inches either way from manually moving and kicking the tires. They were still basically locked even though the coupler/linkage at mid-shaft was disconnected. So, how does this work? The locking takes place at the switch but it stays locked upstream .. I guess it makes since that one couldn't just undo the linkage to by-pass the lock but I'd like to better understand.

Doug C
r_towle
An option, having bought a few of these keyless cars I can confirm that if you grab the steering wheel and hammer it against the steering wheel lock, it will break off the weak white metal or cast tab inside and you can then steer it.
You will be replacing all of that anyways....

Just my observation.
Literati914
Ok (probably going to try removing cylinder switch first) but how is the lower shaft locked if the mid-point junction is disconnected? I thought the lock was only at the switch.

Doug C
r_towle
It’s binding up.
There is nothing physically stopping you unless something is bent.
Look at the a-arms and see if they are in the way.

Till you really get into it, I would suggest you just remove the tie rods so you can move it around.
If you are already on a smooth surface, four Home Depot furniture dollies work great.
Otherwise, the same dollies on plywood laid on the ground also work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.