Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LA Mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RMCD
Hi new here and to a 914. I'm in an apartment complex without a garage so I can't do too much work on the car (nor do I know how yet). Does anyone have a recommendation for a mechanic in LA?

I'm excited to learn over time but I just drove it from Seattle to LA and the final day of the drive the starter stopped working, so it has been rolling starts since.

I couldn't find it in another thread, sorry if I missed it and sorry if asking for a mechanic is sacrelige.

Thanks,
Ryan

Tom_T
Nice pic Ryan! .... & a brave 1st timer drive!

I'll let the LA folks recco shops up closer to you, but PM me later if you come up dry & I can recco some OC ones.

With all the rain coming down from Seattle, you may also want to check to make sure that you're not getting a short from the wetness &/or corrosion at any of the starter & battery connections. That can cause low voltage insufficient to turn the starter &/or to move the solenoid.

That starter issue is common on 914s & all VWs at some points in their lives, & sign that you're ready for a new one, but you'll probably only find reman Boash units out there, or an aftermarket replacement in standard or high-torque flavors..

There is another workaround if you can't push it, but you'll need a helper in the car to turn the key to start it, while you crawl under with a ball peen hammer, heavy wrench or something to tap on the side of the body of the starter motor while they crank it. Only try this a few times, so you don't run the battery trying to start it if the starter/solenoid is completely gone.

We used to affectionately call this developing a "flat spot" on the starter, but more correctly it's really either a sticky solenoid, or sticky shaft/bearings on the starter itself, or a section of the windings which aren't developing enough current to turn the motor.

At some point all of us have gone thru the above starter tapping trick &/or parking on a slope for a running getaway! biggrin.gif

welcome.png

PS - You're on the right forum for this topic/question, & lots of folks ask for mechanics. It's also a good idea to plan longer trips ahead with a list of shops who know 914s along your route.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
emmanueldelvalle
There is a little shop in Montery Park welcome.png welcome.png on the east side of nL.A.

Jim's Vw Service & Repair
Jim has been there for over 20 years

849 E Garvey Ave
Montery Parc 91755

(626) 288-9760 welcome.png
914-300Hemi
Ryan
Very nice car
welcome.png

Replacing the starter is an easy job that can be done with no special tools.

What part of LA are you in?
SO.O.C914er
Congratulations on the nice find. If you get into some serious motor work or maintenance Hector at PCH garage in sunset beach is the man to see. welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.