Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear springs ID
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goose2
I took these off my six parts car. The springs are painted black with a red paint mark on one coil about in the middle. Any guesses or will I have to take them to the spring guy to measure them? Can they be rated without taking them off the Konis?
Thanks
Eric_Shea
Hard to tell but the ones I've seen with orange/red paint have been aftermarket 140lber's.

Factory used "yellow" marks for 914-6 and "green" for 914-4. They matched them and use anywhere from 1 to 3 marks on each (each spring would have had the same number of marks).

I have 140lb. springs with the orangish/redish markings.
goose2
Thanks Eric, but they weigh a LOT less than that! laugh.gif
goose2
sorry, just can't resist being a smart-ass sometimes
Eric_Shea
Yuk, yuk, yuk... slap.gif

biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
CD's factory coil spring data pagetaking that data, and applying the coil spring formulas to what you've got, should get you in the ball park...
goose2
Thanks for the chart, but it only goes to 90#. Am I missing something?
ArtechnikA
that is the chart for FACTORY springs.

but using that data, and the formulas that have been posted here several times for computing spring rate from wire diamter, coil diameter, and free length, should give you a handle on estimating what you've got.
goose2
Aha....interpolate and calculate....I can do that. Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.