Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Will require a different throttle cable then stock, correct?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Perhaps this is obvious, but I didn't listed on my conversion parts list and after staring at some of the cars today it looks like the Excelerator cable likely needs to be different to connect to a 3.2 assembly because it comes up from behind the engine, right?

OR, can you simply reroute the stock cable and it's long enough that it will fit? That seems unlikely but what the heck do I know...

Thanks!
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Perhaps this is obvious, but I didn't listed on my conversion parts list and after staring at some of the cars today it looks like the Excelerator cable likely needs to be different to connect to a 3.2 assembly because it comes up from behind the engine, right?

OR, can you simply reroute the stock cable and it's long enough that it will fit? That seems unlikely but what the heck do I know...

Thanks!

It works off of a bell crank on the transmission just like a 911
Tdskip
Ah, makes sense.

Any specific 911 set up to track down?

Thanks!
SirAndy
You don't need the bell crank setup unless you are going for 914/6 original.

On my 3.6L i used a slightly longer cable and routed it directly to the throttle body. Works just fine.
bye1.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2018, 01:21 PM) *

Ah, makes sense.

Any specific 911 set up to track down?

Thanks!

Contact Rich - A914guy@aol.com
He makes a bellcrank and linkage to bolt it on to the trans. Also the correct length piece from the linkage to the engine. Small mod needed to the throttle attachment on the engine.
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2018, 01:49 PM) *

On my 3.6L i used a slightly longer cable and routed it directly to the throttle body. Works just fine.
bye1.gif

Some people can’t ge enough travel with just a cable. It probably depends on the engine and linkage. Same with early 911’s.
eitnurg
On my 3.2 I ran the cable up over the front of the engine directly to the linkage. It worked OK but the curvature necessary immediately it came out the bulkhead was a bit extreme, and it used to wear rapidly.
I eventually fitted the Rich Johnson bellcrank kit: much smoother and (so far) longer-lasting arrangement.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2018, 10:55 AM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2018, 01:49 PM) *
bye1.gif
Some people can’t ge enough travel with just a cable. It probably depends on the engine and linkage. Same with early 911’s.

PMS makes special cables just for that purpose, mine gets full throttle ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Mar 4 2018, 11:41 AM) *
On my 3.2 I ran the cable up over the front of the engine directly to the linkage. It worked OK but the curvature necessary immediately it came out the bulkhead was a bit extreme, and it used to wear rapidly.

Mine runs under the engine then curves up and through the slot for the linkage to the throttle body. No problem with sharp angles.
smash.gif
Tdskip
Does Richard still sell the kit?
worn
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2018, 09:59 AM) *

Thanks!

I got an early intermediate plate with the boss for the bell crank. Stock cable runs to that. I admit though that I fabricated the wire from the beelcranck up towards the linkage to the butterfly. I wouldn’t be surprised if that were close to stock, but it was a part not included with the 3.2 engine I bought.
davehg
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 4 2018, 04:51 PM) *

Does Richard still sell the kit?

Yes. Just bought one in the last two months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.