Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 rubber bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveBruen
I just took delivery of 1976 2.0 914 that sat outside for15 years. Bumpers are oxidized from sun but in good shape. Any ideas on how to bring out original surface? Looking forward to this forum.
Dave
DRPHIL914
welcome.png

welcome! you will get the help you need here for sure, -
mine were not oxidized so im not sure, but if you take some pictures and post them
that might help, we can see how bad they are- Back to Black by Mother's might be helpful. I have a set for sale , a small rub on the front surface at the license plate area, but otherwise excellent condition top surface does not have oxidation or cracking- I just pulled mine to repaint the car and decided to put chrome bumpers on it - but if you think you can take some of the oxidation off and treating them might help but in the end if the rubber is damaged it may not be repairable.
Coondog
It’s a easy 2 step process

1. Take them off and throw in trash can.......... lol-2.gif
2. Replace with chrome back dated bumpers........... first.gif
DRPHIL914
its rare to find really nice covers now so I will keep mine around, but yes I am converting to the early chrome bumpers - just sourced my - also very hard to find a nice front chrome bumper, especially with out the holes for the bumper tits(guards).
so don't get rid of anything unless you find what you want- it took me 6 months to find a front one that wasn't crap.

its not clear as to whether or not backdating hurts value - I think the only car that it would do that to would be a '76 that is all original and mint. I don't think for a restoration it hurts, it may even increase desirability in some circles.

-post a picture of you covers and a good close of of the worst of it,
boxstr
Dave, I have some of the B.B.B.’s at CAMP914. Shipping might be speedy, but they are in excellent condition. If interested get back to me.
Craig at CAMP
rhodyguy
'Back to Black' rubber/vinyl dressing.
76-914
Someone here posted a "How to" on that a while back. IIRC, it involved sanding the rubber. Can't help anymore than that. beerchug.gif
Blue6
Dave,
A light sanding with an abrasive pad, then treat it with a product called 303 protectant.
mepstein
QUOTE(boxstr @ Mar 7 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Dave, I have some of the B.B.B.’s at CAMP914. Shipping might be speedy, but they are in excellent condition. If interested get back to me.
Craig at CAMP

This is how I would do it. Buy nice ones from Craig. You’re never going to make worn out rubber nice again.
rhodyguy
The box WILL be big but the weight will be LOW as you'll only need the covers if the impact bars are ok. Box engineering is crucial to remain under the 'oversized' limit.
DaveBruen
Thank you all. I will stay with the originals for now.
Dave
TheCabinetmaker
Great line of products. Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
Agree on the forever black, great product.
malcolm2
Google "303 Areospace Protectant" This is the manufacturers website, but everyone that sells it will pop up too.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/303-products/

Everyone has their favorite stuff, this is mine (and Blue6, I guess) for a couple reasons. It is kinda like Amour-All, but better and you can use it on everything but glass or paint and is not as shiney or oily and it is absorbed.

Great on my ski boat. The fiberglass not just the vinyl that is. nothing sticks to it, no water spots, dirty water sheets off.

On the car, I use it on my bumper tops, dash, roof, door panels, wiper blades, door and trunk seals, sail & targa parts and tires.

I get the gallon jug, they sell it everywhere, and have tons of other things to buy.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
scrub with simple green and hot water and then soak down with silicone grease. The forever black we sell is sort of like liquid shoe polish and is not as effective as the silicone grease. Important to thoroughly clean with the simple green and hot water first and let dry thoroughly

QUOTE(DaveBruen @ Mar 7 2018, 06:08 AM) *

I just took delivery of 1976 2.0 914 that sat outside for15 years. Bumpers are oxidized from sun but in good shape. Any ideas on how to bring out original surface? Looking forward to this forum.
Dave
Rand
The happiest 914 day of my life was my son and I carving that heavy pig into pieces that fit in the dumpster. I respect those who want to keep them... but I have a much greater respect for those who know they need to rid our cars of such heavy garbage. It is a sports car, not a pig. Where can you place weight in the worst possible positions? Ahem, freakin' heavy bumpers. BAD.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 7 2018, 02:47 PM) *

The happiest 914 day of my life was my son and I carving that heavy pig into pieces that fit in the dumpster. I respect those who want to keep them... but I have a much greater respect for those who know they need to rid our cars of such heavy garbage. It is a sports car, not a pig. Where can you place weight in the worst possible positions? Ahem, freakin' heavy bumpers. BAD.

it was a bad solution to a problem created by the US transportation and safety board- every car had to comply so you saw a some really ugly bumpers on other cars too all the great chrome bumpers went away, same with Corvette, Camaro etc.
- They could have made a way to mount the 5mph shocks on the back of these I would think- the 911 even had more thought put into it and wer not so heavy though so I agree- but the wanted to do it cheap and already knew they were nearing the end of the run . plans were made to replace the car with the 924 already. so minimum change to the body, minimum cost for new parts.

ndfrigi
my previous 75 1.8FI

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
welcome.png You now have some great suggestions. Post your results when you're done.
Rand
Ironically my current 914 has the bubs and I'm not in a hurry to swap them out. But they are on the cut list.

Hopefully Mikey will make some plastic early-style bumpers soon. poke.gif smile.gif

76-914
I don't fully comprehend the disdain towards the BUB's. I have both styles and either are fine with me. They both have their merits. No visible dents from small bumps when you have BUB's. They're more aerodynamic. True they are heavier but how many detractors race their 914's where it would really matter. Need a pair of CP bumpers; get your checkbook out. Need a pair of BUB's; someone might have a set for free. Looks wise it's a toss up in my book. Both cars appeal to me. Look at Jim's (startplayer) car. That ain't no dog is it? Every time this discussion begins I am reminded of the Tail Dragger vs. Tri Gear group. The plane doesn't know the difference when flying. And when properly faired only looses about a knot or 2 at cruise. JMHO. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
My first 914 was a73-1.7. That thing handled so good. After 25 years of ownership I bought a 75-2.0. That thing was a pig in the corners. Backdated bumpers and instant day and night difference. Not to mention the countless times I wrecked my knees walking around the car. No bubs for me! Hate them
Rand
Agreed. My intent wasn't to dis bubs. But holy cow, when you pick one up by itself for the first time, you'll have your answer to go along with the hernia. No question they are functional as protection, just horrible weight in the worst places if you want to make the most out of nimble handling.

It used to be, you couldn't give them away. As our cars age there's no doubt there will be more demand to restore them, as some want to make everything "correct" for the year.

Sorry Dave, didn't mean to hijack your thread. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.