Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Paint Color for wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
I have some scratches in the center of the wheel - even after the center cap is on, you can see some of the area. So I was thinking of painting that inner circle. Any thoughts on a specific silver color/brand?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Simon,

If those are real Fuchs 2L aluminum alloy wheels, then they are not painted (or an't supposed to be) - but are anodized aluminum (only the Steel, Mahle & P were painted).

Therefore, the black in your scratches are probably just dirt/road grime/brake dust made into an oily gunk & stuck in the scratches.

So just try cleaning them off with something like Simple Green & a soft toothbrush. Then if the scratches have any "lip" to them, you can sand it smooth with some120 > 200 > 400 & finish off with 000 or 0000 brass wool.

Don't try to smooth them out completely, because then you'll have an off look to that area, unless you have the entire wheel(s) restored by Al Reed or Harvey Weidman, etc..

Now if some DAPO has spray painted them, then I'd suggest that you strip off the paint with thinner or acetone, & evaluate their surfaces to consider if you can clean them up, or if you should send them to Al or Harvey.
They do kinda look like paint in your pic! dry.gif

PS - Read through the Wheels & Tires nailed topic in the O&H Forum for more on the wheels.

PSS - Did you Standard Poodle come with your 914, or was that an option!? biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
windforfun
So you're a perfectionist? I am too. It's a curse. Good luck in your pursuit of perfection.
steuspeed
If you buy the alloy caps at 914rubber they have a bigger flange than the chrome steel caps. Covers up at least half the marks and maybe more.
Chris914n6
As inconsistent as the color looks, I'd say it was spray painted silver.

Wurth is supposedly the factory brand, but it's kinda hard to get, so could easily be Krylon or Rustoleum.
wes
I’m thinking that’s a painted wheel if you have them sent out as mentioned above you’ll be amazed at what beautiful new looking wheels you’ll receive It’s been a good year but I ordered several Wurth products to include a wheel paint kit online!
steuspeed
I would agree, those wheels look painted. They should have a raw background and polished petals.
burton73
QUOTE(simonjb @ Mar 8 2018, 03:50 PM) *

I have some scratches in the center of the wheel - even after the center cap is on, you can see some of the area. So I was thinking of painting that inner circle. Any thoughts on a specific silver color/brand?

Click to view attachment

Al Read did mine 8 years ago.

Bob BClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.