Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder head temperature gauge install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Being a 2.0 late car and having a tendency to run on the hot side and living in a hot climate, I think I should consider a cylinder head temp gauge. I have not seen one installed and would like to know how to proceed.
Now since putting the backdated HE on and the aux oil cooler oil temps have never been over 225/230 at the hardest running in the mountains on sustained up hill climbs. And I will finally have everything cleaned off properly and the tins all removed from the motor , under side cleaned up and have new warm air guides that were not on the car before, which should help as well.

Either way seems like a good time to do this.

advice on installation, wiring etc

Thanks,

Phil
mgphoto
The sensor end fits around the spark plug, like the sealing washer.
Cyl#3 is usually hottest.
DRPHIL914
so i found a site that says VDO discontinued making this gauge, and another side that tested them and found at 400 actual they were off 60degrees, - so there is one on ebay but with them being off maybe i need to look at another manufacture like dakota digital or another - who has what? how did you run the wire? i will follow same path i took for the A/F gauge i suppose- i did find a few pictures -
Rand
I see Summit Racing (where I always bought my VDO gauges) is now preferring Autometer.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/a...ead-temperature

Aircraft Spruce is usually considered the best from what I've heard.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges.html

There was a group buy a few years ago. Maybe time for another. The model I was thinking of was especially cool because you could flip through each cylinder with the push of a button (or see combo views, cycling between cylinders, etc).

But since #3 runs the hottest, most just put a ring under that plug and call it done. Only takes a few minutes, no messing with tin, just put it under the spark plug and bend the terminal up to clear. Don't clip the wire to shorten the excess, coil up the extra, as modifying the length/resistance affects the readings.
Mblizzard
I would recommend the Dakota digital version. They are Okteenerfest supporters and i purchased their unit before asking for their support and it has performed flawlessly.
DRPHIL914
good information-
one issue has been brought up about a few people haviing that #3 plug blow out , one builder saying they have see this a lot, always on the plug that has the sensor on it-
that concerns me , maybe a better place to connect it?
Porschef
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Mar 9 2018, 06:48 PM) *

I would recommend the Dakota digital version. They are Okteenerfest supporters and i purchased their unit before asking for their support and it has performed flawlessly.

agree.gif

Been running the DD unit for years, had one issue where the temps were bouncing around, turned out to be a slight chafe in my wire install... dry.gif
All good again
Olympic 914
Also running the Dakota Digital CHT gauge. You will need to get the 14 mm thermocouple. it is 18' long, which fits and $26.95 I bought directly from them.

barefoot
I acquired a used center console that contained 2 VDO heat temp gauges but no TC's
the VDO website had no info on what type thermocouples they're intended for
(type J or K ???)
I purchased from E-bay with the 14mm washer some of each for about $15 each and tested up to boiling temp of water & determined that type J read more accurately. Not yet installed, but I have engine fully assembled on shop floor and need to cut an access hole in the top tin to pass the TC wire out, then send it along the main harness into the cockpit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.