Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live and Learn...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Next
Ok so its not like they wrecked the wheel or anything but dammit...why can't people just think a bit more?

So I decided to replace my 18 year old tires on my '73 survivor. They looked very good and only had about 8,000 miles on them (only the 2nd set of tires on my car) but they had clearly aged out. So I asked around to get recommendations from the local porsche guys. Was referred to a tire shop that does a lot of the higher end cars and race cars locally here in ATL. Took my '96 TT there first and they did a nice job on a new set of tires and four wheel alignment.

Next up...decided to have the Pirelli Cinturato's put on the 914 that I had purchased from Lucas Classic. Of course what I WANTED to do was watch their every move on my car. But thinking that was being just too anal, I gave them instructions to remove the old tires, install the new ones and do an alignment if needed. I also told them I wanted them to save the old tire on the left rear (it was the best of the old) since I wanted to save it for a spare. Seemed easy enough.

When I went to pay the cashier she summarized the work and proceeded to tell me that they had put the old left rear tire on my spare rim "as requested" (and of course were proceeding to toss my original OEM survivor spare!) They had removed the original spare tire that still has the original paint lines on the tread and put on the OLD left rear tire which has 8,000 miles on it and looks noticeably worse. My plan had been to take that old left rear tire and have it installed on another Fuchs and use that wheel and tire for a spare for everyday driving in case I had a flat; I would not need to use the original wheel and spare.

I wanted to have a SH%T fit but (mostly) calmly told them that this was not what I asked them to do and asked them to put the old original tire back on. They did so but when I got back home to check to see if they had damaged the original spare tire at all I realized that they had removed the factory applled wheel weights from the spare wheel when they put the shitty old tire on it and re-balanced it and then put on wheel weight tape in it's place! I'm pissed off that the car makes it 45 years like that and then this happens. WOULD YOU NOT THINK THAT WHEN THEY SEE THAT ORIGINAL NEW TIRE AND SPARE WHEEL THEY MIGHT ASK ME TO BE SURE THEY HAD UNDERSTOOD THE DIRECTIONS? Nope

So....live and learn. Here's some pics of the original wheel and spare. Unfortunately those weights are no longer on the wheel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Steve - never trust a local tire nor other shop which deals in general cars, with no true expertise in restoring & preserving original classics! dry.gif

P.S. - Put everything in writing, then give them a copy & keep a copy - even if you're there to oversee it, because I can gaurantee you that they will NOT read it until you point it out while hanging over their shoulder! It's human nature for 80% of the population to ignore directions, specifications, contracts, etc. - as I know after about 50 years in the construction industry where the contractor & subs never look at the plans & specs until AFTER there is a problem! Odd that there's always time to redo &/or fix things, instead of just doing it correctly the first time!

Tom
///////
JawjaPorsche
Damn Steve

I am sorry that happen. I know you are pissed.

When it time change my tires which is soon. I am taking my tires off myself and remove the wheel caps then take them to tire store. Maybe overkill on my part.

Terry
rhodyguy
Shops can ruin center caps too. the old screwdriver handle to the center portions, a hammer and whack, whack, whack.
EdwardBlume
I'm sorry. Isn't that just life sometimes?

The same thing happened to my original spare for Dads car, except it was the body shop that saved the car in 1998, and it was some kind of yellow paint that was spilled down on top of it and pooled underneath. I figure, its still just a spare.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 11 2018, 07:44 AM) *

Shops can ruin center caps too. the old screwdriver handle to the center portions, a hammer and whack, whack, whack.

I actually made an installer/remover out of a PVC pipe fitting that will prevent this. One end fits over the center cap, and one end fits tightly in the center of the wheel. Makes it easy to remove them without denting them.

And I never let the tire stores install my tires. I take them to the local Porsche specialty shop after removing the wheels and center caps.

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 11 2018, 05:28 AM) *

And I never let the tire stores install my tires. I take them to the local Porsche specialty shop after removing the wheels and center caps.

agree.gif agree.gif

Never take the car, just the wheels. Ruin the caps at home yourself. shades.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 11 2018, 05:28 AM) *

I actually made an installer/remover out of a PVC pipe fitting that will prevent this. One end fits over the center cap, and one end fits tightly in the center of the wheel. Makes it easy to remove them without denting them.

Clay, maybe describe the steps, such as:

1. Straddle a large pipe
2. Insert wheel hole
3. Check for tightness, tight is ideal, use lubrication if you suspect excessive rubbing
4. Press with a straight motion
5. Repeat as needed
6. Discontinue immediately once you get it off.
7. Clean up

w00t.gif
rhodyguy
'Customer will remove centers caps'. Written on the work order. Then you watch them. Then you ask them to stop and check the work order. Takes More time discussing the situation than pulling the caps. This is the point where you remind them 'no hammer on lead weights. The wheels are $400 EACH!'. Total pita customer. I'm paying for that privilege.
914Next
Thanks, guys. Yes it is only a spare and still....I have learned my lesson. Good suggestion on the center cap removal and taking the wheels only...although it's hard to get an alignment done without the car.

I'll be much more of that asshole car owner in the future, unfortunately.

Clay...I know I have read something about that cap removal and install tool but if you have simple directions for making one I'd love to see it.

Onward....

Steve
mepstein
I just bought a couple pvc fittings at Home Depot. One was the right size to remove the cap, one fit over the front and let me tap it back.

Next time, just stand there and keep chatting. If they say anything, just tell them you can’t leave your baby alone.
Cal
Sorry to hear about that Steve. I'm about to replace my tires as well....I'm planning on removing the wheels and caps myself before hand. You can purchase the PVC fittings for removing the center caps at Lowes or Home Depot. You can also purchase the original wheel weights.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.