Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hershey Swap Meet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cantley914
It’s that time of the year again! Which hotel/motel wins the honours of our presence this year? driving-girl.gif
Olympic 914
Hoping to go again this year.

Thought the Knights Inn was fun.
cantley914
Last year everybody was spread out in différent hotels/motels. The evenings parking lot gatherings were pretty cool back then! I think the Carlisle old car swap meet is on the same week-end this year, motel rooms might be getting hard to find if we wait too long.
VaccaRabite
My kids have their Boy Scouts spring camp out the same weekend as Hershey. Kids win over cars, so I'm out this year.

Zach
rothaus
I plan to be there.

Please stop by at my boot.

Click to view attachment

Cheers
Engelbert
BENBRO02
My Myrtle Beach golf time is the same week so I can't make it this year. I'm looking forward to hopefully making it to Ockteenerfest again this year. You guys have fun.
mepstein
We will have six vendor spots that include the PMB booth. Hershey is a great time to come out and BS with the 914 crowd plus pick up some stuff you want but don’t really need biggrin.gif
Hopefully someone will organize a drive for Friday. Bob did a great job last year smilie_pokal.gif

Even an informal get together the day before would be fun.
GaroldShaffer
Brad Mayeur and I will be making the drive again this year. we will be staying at the ever so lovely Knights Inn. biggrin.gif beer3.gif
cantley914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 13 2018, 09:48 AM) *

Brad Mayeur and I will be making the drive again this year. we will be staying at the ever so lovely Knights Inn. biggrin.gif beer3.gif

What kind of price per night are we looking at? Group price maybe if we can have enough people interested? Or any other place... group ??
Unobtanium-inc
The Unobtanium Crew will be there, probably on the C row, that's where we normally are, just look for my mom.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 13 2018, 01:48 PM) *

Garold I'm putting together plans to go to Hershey as well trailering the 914 for the first time. I know for you you'll probably be going across Ohio on the I90 turnpike and I plan on doing the same thing getting on at Rt53 Fremont exit. What day and time are you coming thru maybe we could hook up ?? You never know when an emergency like hitting a deer or a flat tire etc changes your plans (tsk tsk). Nice to have like minded folks to share the misery and the ride.

Staying at the ever popular Knights Inn. Need to make reservations

North Coast Jim - Jim Pilny beer3.gif driving-girl.gif
Bates
My son and I will be coming up from central VA leaving early to arrive early.

I may have some parts to try to sell/trade.
Is anyone interested in sharing a space?

Dr Evil
I really wanted to go, but moving in May, working on current house to list by Mon (hopefully), so need to be around to do the deal if I can. I am pleasantly surprised to see some still staying at Knights Inn. Its a hole, but its our hole. Its hard to find a place that will let us drink in the parking lot all night and be loud without them calling the cops or complaining.
mepstein
QUOTE(Ecke Liebhaber @ Mar 21 2018, 12:19 PM) *

My son and I will be coming up from central VA leaving early to arrive early.

I may have some parts to try to sell/trade.
Is anyone interested in sharing a space?

You're welcome to share space in my spot. I mostly bought it as a meeting place for the 914 group. There's a couple other 914 people with adjoining spaces.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Mar 21 2018, 08:42 AM) *

Garold I'm putting together plans to go to Hershey as well trailering the 914 for the first time. I know for you you'll probably be going across Ohio on the I90 turnpike and I plan on doing the same thing getting on at Rt53 Fremont exit. What day and time are you coming thru maybe we could hook up ?? You never know when an emergency like hitting a deer or a flat tire etc changes your plans (tsk tsk). Nice to have like minded folks to share the misery and the ride.

Jim,

We haven't made exact plans on when we will be leaving yet. We plan to head out Thursday Afternoon and drive a while into Ohio for the night then finish the drive Friday. Us old gummers need more frequent potty breaks and back stretching than we used to.

We will be taking the turnpike for sure. Our leave time depends on Brad as he has about a 3 hour drive to my house first.
cantley914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 21 2018, 09:53 AM) *

Jim,

We haven't made exact plans on when we will be leaving yet. We plan to head out Thursday Afternoon and drive a while into Ohio for the night then finish the drive Friday. Us old gummers need more frequent potty breaks and back stretching than we used to.

We will be taking the turnpike for sure. Our leave time depends on Brad as he has about a 3 hour drive to my house first.

I will be in Decatur Il for business until Thursday afternoon, will drive towards Hershey after my meeting and stop somewhere on the way to sleep. Will travel rest of the way on Friday. Maybe we can meet on the way... I plan for Underdog Friday night for wings & beer....Let me know
I've booked at the Clarion in West Harrisburg, Knights Inn was by far too expensive for what it has to offer. Will still show up for the evening parking lot gathering though!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(cantley914 @ Mar 21 2018, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 21 2018, 09:53 AM) *

Jim,

I will be in Decatur Il for business until Thursday afternoon, will drive towards Hershey after my meeting and stop somewhere on the way to sleep. Will travel rest of the way on Friday. Maybe we can meet on the way... I plan for Underdog Friday night for wings & beer....Let me know
I've booked at the Clarion in West Harrisburg, Knights Inn was by far too expensive for what it has to offer. Will still show up for the evening parking lot gathering though!

Stephane, you know my new place is right in the middle between Decatur Ill and Hershey, right? You can crash there if you like, no charge wink.gif
North Coast Jim
So how does one sign up to show their 914 at Hershey ?? I was there year before last and they had a great contingent of cars. If I can show the car I'd trailer it over and drive it around the Hershey area. Anybody have contact #'s.
mepstein
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Mar 22 2018, 03:53 PM) *

So how does one sign up to show their 914 at Hershey ?? I was there year before last and they had a great contingent of cars. If I can show the car I'd trailer it over and drive it around the Hershey area. Anybody have contact #'s.

http://www.cpa-pca.org/swap/2018index.html

The Porsche Corral
Got a Porsche for Sale?
Want a Porsche for Sale?
Check out the Porsche Corral at the Swap!
For only $25 you can park your Porsche in the Porsche Corral at the Swap, where buyers come to buy! Even when it rains at the Swap, the Porsche Corral is full of customers. It’s open to dealers and individuals. No pre-registration necessary—just ask when you arrive!

Olympic 914
So do I have this right?

$25.00 Entrance fee.
$25.00 Porsche only parking area.
$10.00 Register for "Peoples Choice" (must be in Porsche Parking Area)

Do you pay all this when you drive up? Or pay for the Porsche Parking and Peoples Choice at another place/time
mepstein
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Mar 22 2018, 05:56 PM) *

So do I have this right?

$25.00 Entrance fee.
$25.00 Porsche only parking area.
$10.00 Register for "Peoples Choice" (must be in Porsche Parking Area)

Do you pay all this when you drive up? Or pay for the Porsche Parking and Peoples Choice at another place/time

When you drive up.
• Porsche Corral $25/car on top of $25 gate fee
No Pre-reg required to sell your car
You can even purchase vendor spots the day of but they add a $25 township charge and maybe something else.
BeatNavy
In the past you paid for the People's Choice after you parked in the reserved spots. They generally divide the parking into sections, and we go to the mid-engine parking area (there may be a "teener convoy" to go over as a group as in past years). In the parking lot there's a trailer where they will take your cash, give you the gift bag, and provide you a registration placard for the People's Choice judging.

There. I've used the term "placard" today.
Olympic 914
Teener Convoy sounds interesting.......

Where do you assemble for this?
Big Len
Because of a couple of fairly expensive vacations we're taking this year, Linda and I won't be attending Hershey this year. I will miss hanging out with the guys and checking out the numerous stunning cars and vendors. But if I were attending, I would not enter the show and I would probably ask others not to. After years of increasing 914 entries, a show separate category for 914's must be implemented. For the PA PCA to group Boxsters and Caymans into the 914 group is absurd. They don't do it with rear or front engine Porsches, so why do it here? I think the 914 stigma still exists with the PA PCA and to also allow brand new Boxsters and Caymans to enter the show seems as dumb as the people who would vote for these cars.
rgolia
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 10 2018, 06:45 AM) *

Because of a couple of fairly expensive vacations we're taking this year, Linda and I won't be attending Hershey this year. I will miss hanging out with the guys and checking out the numerous stunning cars and vendors. But if I were attending, I would not enter the show and I would probably ask others not to. After years of increasing 914 entries, a show separate category for 914's must be implemented. For the PA PCA to group Boxsters and Caymans into the 914 group is absurd. They don't do it with rear or front engine Porsches, so why do it here? I think the 914 stigma still exists with the PA PCA and to also allow brand new Boxsters and Caymans to enter the show seems as dumb as the people who would vote for these cars.

agree.gif
mepstein
The 914 group buy vendor spots start on F isle. See you there.
william1764
Totally agree Big Len. If I recall correctly, it was in 2016 that I entered my 74' 2.0. While not concours condition she's super clean, original paint and interior...a true 8.5 out of 10. A brand new Boxster off the lot took home the trophy. Total joke and waste of time/money. Never again

BTW, there were numerous 914's entered - a stand alone class was easily obtainable.

QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 10 2018, 02:45 AM) *

mepstein

QUOTE(william1764 @ Apr 10 2018, 10:28 AM) *

Totally agree Big Len. If I recall correctly, it was in 2016 that I entered my 74' 2.0. While not concours condition she's super clean, original paint and interior...a true 8.5 out of 10.

A brand new Boxster off the lot took home the trophy. Total joke and waste of time/money. Never again

BTW, there were numerous 914's entered - a stand alone class was easily obtainable.

agree.gif If they are going to judge new cars, might as well go to a dealer parking lot.
william1764
[quote name='mepstein' date='Apr 10 2018, 06:40 AM' post='2598126']
[quote name='william1764' post='2598122' date='Apr 10 2018, 10:28 AM']
Totally agree Big Len. If I recall correctly, it was in 2016 that I entered my 74' 2.0. While not concours condition she's super clean, original paint and interior...a true 8.5 out of 10.

A brand new Boxster off the lot took home the trophy. Total joke and waste of time/money. Never again

[quote name='Big Len' post='2598044' date='Apr 10 2018, 02:45 AM']
[/quote]
[/quote]
agree.gif If they are going to judge new cars, might as well go to a dealer parking lot.
[/quote

That's basically what they did Mepstein. Drive up with temp tags and get your smilie_pokal.gif

I plan to make the trip up. Not sure if in the 914 or not. See you there I hope.
BeatNavy
Yeah, but you get those "valuable" door prizes in your goody bag as part of the registration. dry.gif

Sorry - I won't be there with my car to make your cars look even better in contrast to mine. Mine's a decent runner but not a looker (at least at this point). I'm toying with making the drive up Saturday morning in the truck to shop for goodies, but I definitely won't be there for Friday activities.

Also sorry to hear Len/Linda, Ralph, Rich, etc. won't be there this year. Hopefully a big showing next year.
struckn
[quote name='william1764' post='2598122' date='Apr 10 2018, 10:28 AM']

------------------------------------------------------------------
For the record, we parked in the Concourse Area in 2016 in order to have a location where we all could park to gather and hang out We knew up front that the Awards were secondary and most likely not to come our way.

The other thing to mention is that we each got, included in the entry fee, the Concourse Goody Bags which probably had a value of $10 ea. full of some very nice items.

dcheek

We even split out the 914's at the All Air Cooled Gathering where the majority of the cars that show up are VW's!! Come on PA PCA, it's time to kick it up a notch.

Dave
struckn
......I think the 914 stigma still exists with the PA PCA and to also allow brand new Boxsters and Caymans to enter the show seems as dumb as the people who would vote for these cars.
[/quote]

We even split out the 914's at the All Air Cooled Gathering where the majority of the cars that show up are VW's!! Come on PA PCA, it's time to kick it up a notch.

Dave
[/quote]

Just a FYI the CPA-PCA Vice President, Steve Limbert, is a big 914 fan. He owns and races his 914-6 GT. He took it to Daytona 2018 to run and display in the Daytona Fan Zone.
[b][color=#000000]
mepstein
[quote name='struckn' date='Apr 11 2018, 01:09 PM' post='2598488']
......I think the 914 stigma still exists with the PA PCA and to also allow brand new Boxsters and Caymans to enter the show seems as dumb as the people who would vote for these cars.
[/quote]

Dave
[/quote]

Just a FYI the CPA-PCA Vice President, Steve Limbert, is a big 914 fan. He owns and races his 914-6 GT. He took it to Daytona 2018 to run and display in the Daytona Fan Zone.
[b][color=#000000]
[/quote]
I know Steve. He is a huge fan of 914’s. I will ask him to change it when I see him at Hershey. Never hurts to ask, right?
It would be great if everyone asked him to change it. He owns the ~ Aircooled Racing booth.
db9146
Anybody from Atlanta area driving up to Hershey?
barefoot
Anyone passing thru Charleston SC on the way, I have a bunch of large parts for cheap, or give away to add to your stash. Includes Targa top, custom exhaust system based on 75-76 type system, late door window bases, some 1.7,1.8 engine tin's
Big Len
So how was it? Any pics?
mepstein
Really good turnout of vendors and buyers. Beautiful day.
mepstein
DP.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.